NoH8

Last Tuesday, I took an impromptu vacation day and went to Los Angeles with Z.A. Maxfield. We went to a high school that was having a GLBT Fair. Yes, I heard a couple of whispers of “grannies” as I walked around so I know my gray hair didn’t go unnoticed. However, the kids weren’t exactly the reason I was there. I went to get my picture taken by celebrity fashion photographer Adam Bouska. Adam, who shares my birthday today, is the co-founder of the NoH8 Campaign. The photos he took were for NoH8.

I’m sure you’ve all seen the photos. Silver duct tape on the mouth. White shirts. The NoH8 tattoo on the cheek. Like this one of Adam himself.

The campaign began as a silent protest by Adam and his partner Jeff Parshley. The duct tape symbolizes voices being silenced by California’s Proposition 8 which amended the state constitution to ban same-sex marriage. The photos took off like a rocket with ordinary people being photographed as well as celebrities and people like Lt. Col. Victor Fehrenbach andย  Lt. Dan Choi who were activists calling for the end of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.

As authors of gay romance, as well as people who believe in equality in all things for all people, ZAM and I had a deep seated need to do this, to have our photos taken by Adam for this campaign. And yes, both of us will be displaying these photos prominently on our websites.

This campaign resonated with me on personal and professional levels. On the personal side, my high school sweetheart is gay. I love the man dearly and the idea that I can marry Rott, but David can’t marry Vince – when they clearly even have a better relationship than Rott and I have – just pisses me the eff off. My parents raised me to ahbor injustice and my heart breaks for couples who would love to get married but can’t. Now, I’m one of those people who also feels that it’s a piece of paper and in my heart, I know who I belong with regardless of the legalities of this country. I know David is one of those people too. We feel things deeply in our hearts and that is where our commitment comes from. We could show that commitment to another without a marriage license. But the very fact that politics don’t allow David to have that license should he choose to go that route with his relationship makes me very angry.

On the professional side, as an author with a Don’t Ask Don’t Tell novella where my heroes have to go to Massachusetts to be married, supporting this campaign is a no brainer. In Afterburner, my heroes get married in Massachusetts, a state that allows same-sex marriage, and California accepts that marriage as legal despite not allowing gays to be married in the Golden State. In the sequel to Afterburner, which is a Christmas story I’ve just finished, my heroes are retired from the Air Force and happy that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone. I don’t say it in the story, but I know my guys and they aren’t happy that same-sex marriage in California is still not legal. Breath of Heaven, an Afterburner Christmas sequel, will be available at MLR Press on December 15.

So ZAM and I did this and we had a great time. Adam and I wished each other an early Happy Birthday and the happiness in the man just radiated out to everyone who was there. He’s a good soul doing a good thing for mankind. And ZAM and I feel really good to be part of it. The only thing that would have made our day better was if fellow author James Buchanan had been able to join us.

ย Now, it’s time for someone a lot more beautiful than me! It’s still Monday, although it’s Halloween, so it’s time for a Marcus!

Marcus does a lot of stuff for charities like Peta so he’s not a celeb who doesn’t give back to the world. It’s one of the things I like about him.

Now, before I go, if you’re thinking of reading and not leaving a comment, I’m going to give you a reason to comment today. One lucky commenter will win their choice of a book from my backlist. Can’t beat that now can you? Say Hello or Happy Birthday or Cool Marcus, whatever, and you could be reading one of my books by tomorrow night!

Happy Halloween to you all! Don’t eat too much candy! I’m off to have birthday cake with my coffee so have a good one!

38 Responses to NoH8

A few days belated Happy Birthday to you (although i did post on Twitter). Wanted to make it blog official.

Very cool story about the NOH8 campaign.

Very cool story about the NOH8 campaign.

Thank you all for coming by and for the wonderful birthday wishes. I had a great, relaxing day! The winner of a book from my backlist is Wendy! Rott drew her name out of the hat! Congrats!

5. KC Burn says:

Happy belated birthday, Lex! And so very cool that you got NOH8 pics done!

6. KC Burn says:

Happy belated birthday, Lex! And so very cool that you got NOH8 pics done!

7. Julianne says:

Good for you for standing up for this, Lex! And it sounds like you had a good ole time so, win win. Oh yeah, and happy birthday! ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Julianne says:

9. suan Leech says:

happy birthday, happy halloween, happy whatever you wish for day. Love this article and love your picture. susan leech garysue@dejazzd.com

10. suan Leech says:

11. Cherie Noel says:

LEX!! Omg, love the pic! So wonderful.

12. Cherie Noel says:

LEX!! Omg, love the pic! So wonderful.

13. Jianne says:

Happy Birthday Lex! Have a great day! Love the pic. I met Z.A in New Orleans a couple of years ago – have a great shot of her, Lynn Lorenz. and Belinda McBride.

14. Jianne says:

15. Becky says:

I hope you’re having a wonderful Halloween birthday. I’m glad you were able to meet Adam, he’s made a bog difference to a lot of people. Enjoy the rest of your day ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Becky says:

17. Susie B. says:

Happy Birthday!
    Have a great day.

Love ya,

Susie

Skip me for the contest, I have all your books.

18. Susie B. says:

Happy Birthday!
    Have a great day.

Love ya,

Susie

Skip me for the contest, I have all your books.

19. Happy birthday and great cause! Love the photos!

20. Happy birthday and great cause! Love the photos!

21. BellaDaddy says:

Absolutely honored, and humbled. THANK YOU for ALL you do! We do plan to marry…someday…*sigh*..until then, we continue to bring up our daughter as your parents did you…

Totally jealous you got the NoH8 and we havent…yet! Kudos to you!

CHEERS, HUGZ & ALL THAT JAZZ!

David

22. BellaDaddy says:

Totally jealous you got the NoH8 and we havent…yet! Kudos to you!

CHEERS, HUGZ & ALL THAT JAZZ!

David

23. Z.A. Maxfield says:

I had a great time! Can you send me that pic of the Canter’s ceiling you took? Love that. And YES! you could have simply substitued Marcus’ picture for mine, at least. I’m pretty sure I didn’t break Adam’s camera or anything but seriously, I don’t think there was much he could do with me.

24. Z.A. Maxfield says:

25. A very interesting blog.
    There are a very practical reasons to legalize and recognize same sex marriages. People in committed relationships need to have legal access to funds and have decision making power if one of them becomes ill. I think they should have the same rights under the law for social security benefits and inheritence from their spouse. And, in case of divorce, the consequences should be the same as it is for M/F marriages. It isn’t all fun but there should be no differences under the law.

26. A very interesting blog.

27. Wendy says:

Great picture of you and ZAM- I believe in what you are saying also. I am not gay but I have lots of friends who are and I think it is unfair that they can not marry the person they love. It should not matter what parts you have below the waist when you love someone and want to be with them- all that matters is what is in your heart.
    Happy Halloween & HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    YUMMY thanks for the pic of Marcus

28. Wendy says:

Happy Halloween & HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    YUMMY thanks for the pic of Marcus

29. Katalina Leon says:

Happy Birthday Lex!

30. Katalina Leon says:

Happy Birthday Lex!

31. Cyn says:

Lex my cali chica Happy B-day!! Loved the post I wish people could wake up and smell the coffee. Life is too short to worry about who is in love with who or even who is fucking who. Anywhoo sorry about the potty mouth so tell Rott to hug and kiss you for me and I want a very wet sloppy kiss. LOL

32. Cyn says:

33. Happy Birthday to you, Lex, and to Adam.

34. Happy Birthday to you, Lex, and to Adam.

35. happy, happy halloween birthday, dear winter.
    xoxo

36. happy, happy halloween birthday, dear winter.
    xoxo

37. The NOH8 campaign sounds like a great thing, and it’s cool that you and ZAM were able to get your photos taken for it.

Hope your birthday is amazing!

38. The NOH8 campaign sounds like a great thing, and it’s cool that you and ZAM were able to get your photos taken for it.

Hope your birthday is amazing!