Sunlight Sucks

Welcome to Sunlight Sucks, erotic romance author Lex Valentine’s blog. This has been Lex’s blog since before Lex was Lex, back in the days when she was just Winter, blogging here and writing in an online serial story called The...
advertisement advertisement

Changing Times

Have you noticed the freakish weather across the US? Seems like weather patterns are changing. And that’s not the only thing changing. They caught Osama Bin Laden and executed him. He’s been a thorn in our side for years and finally, we got him. Changes the face of our war on terror a bit now, doesn’t it? The publishing industry is undergoing shifts as ebooks and epublishing and self-publishing are all on the rise.  A royal prince just married a commoner. (And woot! for that! Must have been his mother’s influence there.) And I bought a house. Haven’t actually managed to move into it yet, but it’s ours. The last time I had two bathrooms of my own was when I lived in my parents’ house.

Life is constantly changing but sometimes the changes are small things that we just don’t notice until one day we wake up and realize we’re very different than we were five years ago. I found a forum thread during a Google search yesterday about a popular male model who just closed down his website and social media, left the city he lived in, severed his modeling agency ties (supposedly)  and just walked away from his life.  Speculation ran wild about his reasons for doing this. My first thought was that maybe that life he’d been living got to be too much for him. Too over the top. Too frenetic. Too unreal. After all, he’s just a Mormon boy from Utah which means he wasn’t raised to live such a party lifestyle.

I’m sure the gay community in Miami has a thousand reasons why Levi Poulter left them. My sense is that times maybe changed too much for him and he needed a return to something simpler. I’ve been in that position before a couple of times. This last time is why we bought a mobile home in the canyon as opposed to in one of the more heavily populated areas. When the world changes so much and so often and so inexorably, having a part of your life be a place where you can go to escape it all becomes necessary in order to find balance and cope. I certainly hope that Levi found it. I’m hoping I have with our new house.

Rott said the place is soooo quiet at night. And really dark. Being at the end of the park, right on the edge of the canyon means there’s no building next to us to lend light to our yard. Rott got some solar powered lamps that you stick in the ground that light up the steps and the area around the deck, but he wants some of the tall tiki style ones too because the depths of the yard are really very dark.

And moving from a place where you have to watch out for the skateboarders and surly neighbors to a place where there are coyotes and rattlesnakes is a big jump. Not that they aren’t all things you have to be aware of constantly and watch out for. Human predators and predators of nature. They can all mess you up if you aren’t careful.

So the changing times are something that I’ve been noticing much more than usual lately. I’m not sure why my senses are more on alert but they are. I can see that everything is on a collision course with change. Tornadoes forced change on the south this past week in a big way. I don’t want to be taken by surprise like that. I want to walk into each day with the sense that something big could change at any moment. I don’t want life to get the drop on me. Rott swears the end of the world is at hand. Maybe he’s right, sort of. The end of the world as we know it is something that changes every single day with each event that occurs. Keep your eyes peeled for it. It’s happening all around you.

Okay, I’m done being philosophical for this Monday. I need me my Marcus despite that uber hot photo of Levi Poulter up there. No one tops my Marcus.

Oh, that chest. It never fails to brighten my day. For whatever reasons have you cheering this morning – a sexy Marcus or a dead Bin Laden – I hope you have a wonderful day!

12 Responses to “Changing Times”

1. Lizzie says:

Hi Lex! Enjoyed your post.

2. Lizzie says:

Hi Lex! Enjoyed your post.

3. It is easy to overlook the little things that change daily. But those big changes can give you the impetus to reassess and make decisions about the direction you wanna go.

Thanks for a good post, Lex. BTW, love the design of your blog!

4. It is easy to overlook the little things that change daily. But those big changes can give you the impetus to reassess and make decisions about the direction you wanna go.

Thanks for a good post, Lex. BTW, love the design of your blog!

5. Well, I left a bloomin comment and then the captcha couldn’t be read. Probably best it didn’t post anyway. I was rambling.

Enjoy your new home, Lex, and watch out for the cats. Coyotes do tend to take them away. Love you, lady!

6. Well, I left a bloomin comment and then the captcha couldn’t be read. Probably best it didn’t post anyway. I was rambling.

7. Amber Green says:

If you have cats, beware of coyotes. A friend of mine opened his front door just in time to see a coyote pounce on his cat–there on the porch–and carry it away.

Pigs are the best protection against rattlesnakes, but they come with their own challenges.

8. Amber Green says:

9. Mona Karel says:

Congrats on the new house. We moved from LA County the New Mexico high plains, and revel in the DARK and quiet at night. Since we have dogs, we did set up a motion sensor yard light that runs off the electricity in the dog room. So it only comes on when they’re out and running around. Otherwise we can enjoy the dark.
    You’ll learn to love bull snakes (they eat rattlers ) and the song of the coyotes. Just remember you’re in a water sensitive area.
    My biggest problem is finding time to write when it’s not beautiful outside. And the sunsets are worth not having an In’N’Out closer than 8 hours away.
    GO SEALS

10. Mona Karel says:

GO SEALS

11. jaime.samms says:

I know what you mean, Lex. Change is everywhere. A good friend of mine was talking about this just recently, commenting how even when you think the big stuff is over, you can never really go back. You have to adjust to something new, and accept that what was might never be again. That can be hard.

And as for Rott’s prediction, I bet you he’d get along great with my hubs. He’s been saying the same thing for years. He’s not as dooms-day as he used to be, but I know that feeling of things coming to an end hovers over his shoulder all the time. I think I would go mad if I had to carry that thought around with me all day long every day. It’s just too scary.

12. jaime.samms says: