Conference Moments

As you all know, I went to the Romantic Times Book Lovers convention this past week. It was my first convention and also my first as a published author. I had a great time mostly because I had very cool people to hang out with. The workshops turned out to not be my thing but a lot of that had to do with the fact that I was on sensory overload and I wouldn’t have remembered a damn thing from a workshop. I went to the lunches and balls and cocktail parties and mixers. And I hung out in the Lobby Court with a lot of very cool authors.

I didn’t have to fly to the conference because it was in L.A. at the Bonaventure Hotel. Rott drove me there and picked me up and I roomed with Cat Grant. Here’s some conference moments that were the highlights for me.

Kate Douglas taking me under her wing

Faye Hughes’ stories of southern ladies over margaritas.

Jesse who manned the goody bag room remembering my name (amongst all those attendees), coming up to me in the Lobby Court and showing me a photo of himself shirtless in the snow.

Z.A. Maxfield and her wardrobe malfunction.

Belinda McBride talking about hot sex and the fire alarm going off.

Cherise Sinclair and her thing for mashed potatoes.

Lynn Lorenz teaching her son to lie.

Stephani Hecht and her ugly, bald pussy(cat.)

The Olvera Street Adventure.

Realizing C.J. Hollenbach’s hair was just as long as Rott’s.

Hugging Jimmy Thomas who really is a big man and seeing Brooks Johnson who isn’t nearly as big as I imagined.

Reassuring Pepper Espinoza that she wasn’t a sloppy drunk at the MLR Press cocktail party.

Sitting with stinky cheese and Tales fan Carol Brown at the ARe cocktail party.

Getting hot coffee tipped down my shirt at the Kensington morning mixer.

Discovering on Twitter that the Kindle and Nook we’d found in the lobby court belonged to Jane of Dear Author.

Amaretto Sours and Creme Brulee Cheesecake with the girls.

Finding more corn than there is in Iowa at the Mr. Romance competition.

Having my boobs poked by wings at the Faery Ball.

Being hugged by Desiree Holt at the EC party.

Finally meeting Dee Carney and her sniffles.

Getting teeth from James Buchanan.

Carnival barker self-published authors.

Taking photos of Jessica Trapp with handsome men.

Finding myself directly across from Kerrilyn Sparks at the book fair signing.

Tessa Dare telling me that she used me and ZAM to pimp out the OCC chapter.

Finding half the restaurants and stores in the hotel closed when we wanted something.

Laura Baumbach’s son the marketing genius.

Learning so much about the industry, the publishers, agents, and being an author from sitting around talking to everyone.

There’s more. Oh so much more but I’m still on overload so you’ll have to forgive me for not listing about a thousand other memories of this conference.

I have a Marcus for you and then I’m off to the office.

Oh,  hello! Aren’t  you lovely? HEH.

Many thanks to all of you who commented on my snapshots from the convention over on Facebook. I’ll try to turn on Twitter a bit more often now to keep all my new followers entertained. Hopefully, I’ll recover quickly from the con and not end up with conference crud either.

Have a great Monday!

18 Responses to Conference Moments

1. It sounds like the convention was an absolute blast! I wasn’t able to attend this year but am hoping to make it in 2012!

2. It sounds like the convention was an absolute blast! I wasn’t able to attend this year but am hoping to make it in 2012!

3. Kate Pearce says:

It was cool to meet you, if only for a moment at the ebook signing. 🙂 I always like putting a name to a face. 🙂

4. Kate Pearce says:

5. Kathy Kulig says:

Great post Lex. Sounds like an awesome time. Didn’t make it this year. Maybe the next one.

6. Kathy Kulig says:

7. One of my conference highlights was getting to know you, Lex. I had a blast, even when we were all stranded with no taxi’s in sight.

8. One of my conference highlights was getting to know you, Lex. I had a blast, even when we were all stranded with no taxi’s in sight.

9. Sounds like you had a great–and interesting!–time. I’m glad you had the chance to go.

10. Sounds like you had a great–and interesting!–time. I’m glad you had the chance to go.

11. Sounds like you had a wild time! Wow! You going back next year?

12. Sounds like you had a wild time! Wow! You going back next year?

13. Faye Hughes says:

Hi, Lex,

It was so good to meet you (finally!) at RT. It sounds as though you had a blast at RT, and I’m not surprised. It really is a week-long party!

14. Faye Hughes says:

Hi, Lex,

15. Kate Douglas says:

Love your post, Lex! While I was hiding in my room (I made the mistake of starting Elizabeth Amber’s BASTIAN at the conference and could NOT put the book down) it appears you were having the full RT experience. So good to meet you in person, and must admit, anything that comes out of Faye Hughes’s mouth after margaritas is gonna be good. The woman is a hoot!

Now it’s back to the grim reality of writing yet another book. So sad, to force myself to spend day after day with a bunch of drop-dead gorgeous men. Such a tough life, ya know?

Anyway, I am so glad you had a good time. And thank goodness we finally found Melissa Mayhue! I was beginning to wonder if we’d ever touch base with her.

16. Kate Douglas says:

17. It was very nice to meet you there, Lex. Sounds like you had as great a time as I did!

18. It was very nice to meet you there, Lex. Sounds like you had as great a time as I did!