Nosy

I’m surrounded by nosy people.  Some nosy people I don’t mind.  When my kid looks over my shoulder and says, “Whatcha doin?” I don’t mind.  When the neighbor in the building across from us has her mom over for a visit and the old lady sits in the window all day long staring into my house at Rott…I mind.  So if my immediate family wants to know what’s up, I find that sweet. When the neighbors, landlord, and other relatives poke their noses into things, I find that intrusive.

Am I alone in this feeling of being intruded upon when relatives come over and have to look at my bed and my bedroom? Or when the landlord has to come over with his handyman so he can look around while the guy is working? Or when neighbors come onto my porch to peer into my windows? My bedroom is my space. I don’t want anyone in it except the person I sleep with or my kid. I may rent the place where I live but it’s my home even though someone else owns it. And the set of stairs leading to my porch only goes to my porch so unless I invited you over or you have some kind of important business with me, you have no business on those stairs or on my porch trying to peer through my blinds or screen door.

I would love to hear from others about this. Do you get annoyed by nosy people? Nosy neighbors, landlords, and relatives? Do you not like people in your bedroom? I seriously don’t like people in my bedroom. This one totally gives me the creeps. The thought of people I don’t know well staring at my bed makes me want to hurl. Please tell me I’m not alone in this!

Anyway, moving on to non-neurotic topics…I have a very pretty Marcus for you this Monday. He could look at my bed. Or jump in it. Heh.

Go on now, tell me your worst nosy tales and while you’re at it, have a great Monday!

22 Responses to Nosy

1. “…seriously don’t like people in my bedroom. This one totally gives me the creeps.”

You are so not alone in this. Nobody has business in my bedroom but me and the hubby. My bathroom is a close second. No, you can’t use my toilet. Ick.

2. “…seriously don’t like people in my bedroom. This one totally gives me the creeps.”

Margaret – I’d get ticked off if my neighbors knew what I was getting before I did!

Mary – Scare em? Does coming to the door with gun drawn count? 😉

Marty – That kind of nosy bothers me too. Most of the people who are nosy about us fall into that category too.

Lily – I don’t really like people looking at my email although there’s nothing there that’s out of the ordinary really. I do hate people looking over my shoulder to see what I’m doing on the computer though. It’s irritating.

Julia – The remodel is different especially if you’ve been talking to people about it then invite them over. They’ll expect to see what you’ve been talking about. The guy going through your drawers was just criminal.

Mary – Scare em? Does coming to the door with gun drawn count? 😉

5. Since we’ve remodeled, I assume people who haven’t been here for a while will want to see the work we’ve done. Doesn’t bother me. I don’t have nosy neighbors, so that’s not a problem. I did have a problem once with the father of my youngest daughter’s friend. He went through my house, i.e., my bedroom drawers, when I wasn’t home and my son was watching the girls. I pitched a fit and refused to let my daughter have a thing to do with that family after the incident. My son was quite distraught when I got home (gone for 30 minutes). Creepy guy!

6. Since we’ve remodeled, I assume people who haven’t been here for a while will want to see the work we’ve done. Doesn’t bother me. I don’t have nosy neighbors, so that’s not a problem. I did have a problem once with the father of my youngest daughter’s friend. He went through my house, i.e., my bedroom drawers, when I wasn’t home and my son was watching the girls. I pitched a fit and refused to let my daughter have a thing to do with that family after the incident. My son was quite distraught when I got home (gone for 30 minutes). Creepy guy!

7. Lily Harlem says:

Hi Lex,

Phew, Marcus is a cutie – perfect for a dull Monday!

I can’t bare anyone touching or looking at my laptop or my mobile phone – to me that is the ultimate in nosyness, trying to see what I’ve been up to. Though thinking about it, perhaps it annoys me so much because I’ve usually been up to no good! Hee, hee.

Lily x

8. Lily Harlem says:

Hi Lex,

Phew, Marcus is a cutie – perfect for a dull Monday!

Lily x

Nosy people that have no reason to be nosy bother me a lot. I’ve had people that have always tried to make my business their business and it’s awkward whenever I see them. Fortunately, it’s been years since I’ve had to deal with that on a grander scale (ex-wives parents being extra nosy years ago)

11. marot says:

I have been on the landlord side & can tell ya I was uncomfortable goin into some people’s bedroom’s. I never knew what I would see. Scared me & I hated invading their privacy.
    My bedroom is my area so yeah I dont like anyone else coming in. My neighboors keep to themselves so I cant complain there. IF they were nosy I dont know what I would do. Never had nosy one’s.
    I dont blame ya for hating anything the neighboor’s do that is super nosy. One day you should just scare the crap out of them. If you see em trying to look in the window or something just sneak up to it and bang on it. They’ll jump or get the point you hate it. If not hey at least you get to scare them.

12. marot says:

13. My neighbours are nosy, but I suppose I can handle it as its what keeps my house safe when I am out. BUT, in the summer, they knew the patio set colour and size before it was even set up because they saw the boxes in the car. My flat screen, they knew I had one before I did because they stopped me on the drive to tell me my husband had brought one that day!!! I often wonder iof they look at my multi coloured knickers on the line and ever ponder which ones I’m wearing!!!

14. My neighbours are nosy, but I suppose I can handle it as its what keeps my house safe when I am out. BUT, in the summer, they knew the patio set colour and size before it was even set up because they saw the boxes in the car. My flat screen, they knew I had one before I did because they stopped me on the drive to tell me my husband had brought one that day!!! I often wonder iof they look at my multi coloured knickers on the line and ever ponder which ones I’m wearing!!!

Sue – That gives me the creeps! He should have been fired!

Charlie – Yeah, I hate people going through my mail too. Rott sorts the mail but doesn’t open it. At the office the ladies who sort the mail aren’t supposed to open anything with someone’s name specifically on it. Then they put it in a department mailbox and someone in our department picks it up and distributes it. I know at one point a few years ago magazines I received were taken home and looked at by others in the company before they made their way to my desk. That totally pissed me off when I discovered it. But staff has changed and it hasn’t happened in years.

Sue – That gives me the creeps! He should have been fired!

17. Charlie Cochrane says:

Lex

Doesn’t bother me if people wander around my bedroom (like workmen or guests) but I hate people poking at my mail. When the girls were smaller, as soon as they started to read if they had post addressed to them, they opened it. When hubby’s away I hate having to open his letters, even if he says I have to. He hates going in my handbag…

Charlie

18. Charlie Cochrane says:

Lex

Charlie

19. Sue Roebuck says:

He he – I’ll share Marcus if you like 🙂

When I worked in a large multi-national in London we had a messenger who’d deliver our mail. Sometimes we got private letters or postcards and he always read them and told us the news before he gave us the envelopes. Then he’d tell the rest of the offices!

My colleague and I decided to get our own back. One of us went away somewhere and sent a postcard under a false name. At the bottom she wrote – “I hope that nosy messenger of yours doesn’t get to this first, because if he does it’s tantamount to treason”.

20. Sue Roebuck says: