The Dark Protectors

Today’s Wicked Wednesday guest blogger is author Rebecca Zanetti. She has some hot vampires coming out soon and has a slightly different take on the undead blood suckers…

I want to thank Lex for having me on her blog today – I always enjoy reading the posts here!  I’ve been thinking about vampires.  (Yeah, I know that’s a stretch).  But what’s the deal?  Why do we like them so much?

I truly think the fascination has something to do with the singular nature of the vamp.  I mean, shifters have to actually change to let the animal within them out.  But not vampires.  The animal is right there, always willing to go.  In fact, I’d go a step farther and say the vampire is the animal who has to balance a strong intelligence and sense of humanity within his own nature.  Not in spite of it.  Not in contrast with it.  But with it.  And make no mistake; he’s balancing instinct with nature because he chooses to. Thank goodness.

Why is this cool?  I think it’s because you have a strong, intelligent animal who has to fight his own baser instincts to be good.  Or some sense of good.  Let’s be honest, some vampires have a sense of good that’s so nicely bad.  There’s a darkness lurking in all of us, and vampires embody that.  They’re sexy; they drink blood for goodness sakes.  And as dark as they are, they’re immortal.

So as writers, why in the world do we torture them so?  Because they’re they ultimate bad boy and hey, those guys need a reason to be bad.  Or we need a reason to still want them in spite of their badness.  And there’s always that hint…that possibility that the animal will take over.

I have a series coming out from Kensington called “The Dark Protectors.”  It’s a paranormal series featuring vampires, shifters and witches.  The vampires are all male, and have been the strongest beings on earth since the beginning.  But biological warfare has hit their society in a form of a virus that attacks their mates.  The first book, FATED, will be released in February.

FATED features Talen Kayrs, the strategic leader of the vampire world, and his mate Cara, a single mother who’s a scientist and has no time or patience for an alpha male who bites.  One night leads to a marking, mating and sexual taming that will either bind them in strength or destroy them before the virus can.  To find out more, hop on over to my website:  http://rebeccazanetti.com/

So, let me ask you…why do you like vampires?

Fated

Rebecca Zanetti

Kensington

Excerpt:

Slowly, Talen pushed to his feet and strolled across the conference room.

Cara took a step back, her breath hitching.

Smiling, he leaned against the closed door.

She’d need to go through him to get out.  God, he was huge.  Even if she had known how to fight, she doubted she’d stand a chance when faced with such size and obvious strength.  A feminine fear and a flutter she refused to identify whispered through her, and her spine straightened with a sharp snap.

“I won’t hurt you.” His voice lowered, deepening to a tone that increased her flutter.  He relaxed his stance against the door, his muscled arms crossing.  “I won’t let anyone harm either of you.  Ever.”

Okay.  Fine.  He was too big for her to fight, but she did have a brain.  “Listen, Talen,” she kept her voice soft, soothing.  “It’s great your dating pool just opened up and all, but I’m not looking for—”

A dimple winked in his cheek, stopping her words.  She fought to keep her tone mild.  “Am I amusing you?”  Her chin lifted.

“Yes.”

“Why?”  She could even feel his amusement in the air, damn it.

“Your people.  I’ve never understood why you ignore fate.  She has her own plans.”

“Fate?”  He was throwing destiny at her?  Come on.

He nodded. “Fate.”

“Wow.  That’s poetic, Talen.”  Sarcasm replaced the softness.  “But there’s no way fate is involved here.”

“You’re wrong.”

“Prove it.”

“Okay.”  He lifted his right hand, palm out.  A crest, an intricate one, spread across his calloused skin.  Thick and black, a webbing of arcs together formed a knot with what might be an elaborate ‘K’ in the middle.

“A tattoo?” She quirked an eyebrow, wondered if he had other tats on that magnificent body.

“No.  A brand of sorts.  It appeared earlier after I took your arm.”

“A brand?”  She snorted.  “Bullshit.”

Talen shrugged.  “It’s true, Cara.  The Mark usually doesn’t appear until the mating act, but there are exceptions.”  Golden eyes pinned her.  “Our bond must be strong.”

“No.”

Talen lifted a shoulder.

Her mind rebelled at the physical evidence before her eyes.  “I said, no.  I choose to ignore your fate.”  How could the mark have appeared?  Conviction sat easily upon his face and her stomach rolled at the question of how far he’d go to follow his fate.

“That is your choice,” he agreed.

“Damn straight.”  She searched his face for a trick, determination tightening her own jaw.  A raised eyebrow met her glare.  “But you don’t know anything about me.  I could be married.”

“You’re not.”

“How do you know?”

He shrugged.  “My brother Dage shot your file to my smart phone.”

Smart phone?  Vampires used smart phones?  Come on.  “Where were you?”  Damn her curiosity.

“In a meeting with my other brother, Conn.”

Geez.  Sounded like a family oriented creature of the night.  Or day.  Or whatever.  She tried another tack.  “Besides, I have a date tonight.”

She wasn’t sure what her goal was, but she didn’t reach it.  A genuine smile played across his lips, and he uncrossed his arms.  “You’re not going to make it.”

Woah! That’s a great excerpt! I can’t wait for this series to come out. I have to read it! Many thanks to Rebecca for coming by to talk vampires with us. And her vampire Talen…oh, yeah. That’s some TVC there. 😉

Don’t forget to hop over to the Lex Valentine blog for today’s giveaway, Tartan Mate by Selena Illyria!

Have a great Wednesday!

24 Responses to The Dark Protectors

1. Faerydreamer/Dianne B. says:

I cannot wait to read this series. You have definitely whetted my appetite.

2. Faerydreamer/Dianne B. says:

I cannot wait to read this series. You have definitely whetted my appetite.

3. Lynn Rush says:

Great post, Rebecca. Your story is awesome! I love vampires because they’re so dark. Mysterious. And…the immortal-thing is pretty awesome, too.

I like your version of vampire. It’s unique and intense!! Love it.

🙂

4. Lynn Rush says:

I like your version of vampire. It’s unique and intense!! Love it.

🙂

5. wanda flanagan says:

Love the excerpt cant wait toget my hands on it I love paaranormals they are all I read and I cant get enoguh

6. wanda flanagan says:

7. Sayde Grace says:

Great interview!! I love shifters, but vampires are a close second! So excited about the release of FATED and already looking forward to reading the rest in the series!!

8. Sayde Grace says:

9. Sharon Manning-Lew says:

Love the excerpt and the blurb on your website. Now I have to wait until the 22nd of Feb for your book to come out..Major whining here.
    Love vamps because they are sexy and have a long time to master their skills.

10. Sharon Manning-Lew says:

Love vamps because they are sexy and have a long time to master their skills.

11. Love this exerpt. Couldn’t agree with you more about the vamps. They are simply the best alphas around, IMHO.

**sighs** another for my TBR pile!

12. Love this exerpt. Couldn’t agree with you more about the vamps. They are simply the best alphas around, IMHO.

**sighs** another for my TBR pile!

13. Vampires are dark, sexual creatures…that’s why we love them so much. I’m not fond of nice, sort of semi-emasculated vampires. I like ’em walking a fine line between good and evil.

14. Vampires are dark, sexual creatures…that’s why we love them so much. I’m not fond of nice, sort of semi-emasculated vampires. I like ’em walking a fine line between good and evil.

15. Het, Lex, I’m one of Rebecca’s “friends” 🙂 She told me to say that, but I am really.
    Great post, Rebecca. I tend to make my vamps the comic foil in my Book of the Beginning series (if I get it sold someone can read it), but like them hot and sexy too. Good luck on “Fated” and all your future releases.

Bobbye aka Daryn Cross

16. Het, Lex, I’m one of Rebecca’s “friends” 🙂 She told me to say that, but I am really.

Bobbye aka Daryn Cross

17. Julianne says:

Congrats on your upcoming releases!

To answer your question, plain and simply, I think the reason we like vampires, has nothing to do with any of that and all because they are immortal, and cheated death. Or at least that more than anything is why I enjoy them so much. Nothing else matters, in my book, compared to that.

18. Julianne says:

Congrats on your upcoming releases!

19. Pingback: I’m a Blogging Fool Today | Romance with a Bite

20. Pingback: I’m a Blogging Fool Today | Romance with a Bite

21. Lin W. says:

Loved the excerpt, Talen is totallly the Alpha male. Always loves the vampire stories.

22. Lin W. says:

23. Great excerpt, Rebecca! Sounds like this will be a hot story. I think there’s something inherently sexual about vampires, about the act of biting. Not only does it mimic sex (ahem, penetration of the flesh), but it’s also an act of marking someone. Vampires play to our primal desires/fears of being claimed or overpowered. Yeah, that’s why I love ’em. 🙂

24. Great excerpt, Rebecca! Sounds like this will be a hot story. I think there’s something inherently sexual about vampires, about the act of biting. Not only does it mimic sex (ahem, penetration of the flesh), but it’s also an act of marking someone. Vampires play to our primal desires/fears of being claimed or overpowered. Yeah, that’s why I love ’em. 🙂