Birthday Explosions

I was a dedicated Tweeter a couple of years ago. I lived on Twitter. My Facebook…meh. Not so much. I had far, far more people on my Twitter account than my Facebook. Then two things happened at once. One, some people I knew on Twitter began lessening their Twitter usage. And two, I couldn’t have it on at work anymore. That took my Twitter karma to like zero pretty quickly.

The same thing happened with my Yahoo IM. A few people I talked to almost daily stopped using it or used it very rarely (or had themselves invisible to me cause they didn’t want to talk to me anymore) and again, I couldn’t have it on at work anymore.

In the space of a few weeks, my interactions with people began to change in a really big way. Then I started to have more deadlines and my writing career became more demanding. That meant no Twitter or IM when I got home. It meant promoing my books and writing and writing.

Now, my personal Twitter account isn’t even used except to send out notices from my feeds. I rarely turn on my IM because the people who used to talk to me daily, just don’t anymore. And I’ve found that the flip side of this coin has become Facebook.

Yesterday, my FB exploded. I had almost 100 birthday wishes posted to my wall. Of course, some of the people whom I used to speak to daily on IM or Twitter and who are on my FB didn’t bother to acknowledge me but I think that’s a flag to me that they just don’t give a hoot. I’m taking under consideration the notion of unfriending those people who never comment to me or respond to my comments. Despite the fact that we were once close friends, apparently, they don’t want to know me anymore so what’s the point in being connected on FB in that case? It does make me sad to lose friendships though. Or rather acknowledge the loss of friendships.

At any rate, my birthday caused an explosion of posts on my FB wall and I have to say, it felt good. This wasn’t an easy birthday for me but Rott and Nikki (Motley) helped me through it by making my day peaceful and stress free. I wish everyday could be that soothing. I needed the peace something fierce and today, I feel much better for yesterday’s quiet.

Many thanks and hugs and MUAHs to everyone who stopped by my FB page yesterday or who sent me birthday wishes on the loops and in email.  You all helped make my day perfect and I cannot express in words how very much, and very sincerely, I appreciate that.

It truly was a banner week for me with the notification that I had two books final in the EPIC Awards. I have no expectations of winning and I won’t be attending the conference and award dinner in Williamsburg in March (that’s not so much about not winning as it is a travel, time off and money issue.) Still, just finaling means a lot to me. And it means I need to get more serious about where this career is going.

I have a lot of thinking to do both about my writing and my friends.

Now, I have a Marcus and it’s a new one for me. I just found it today and it has a total vampire look to it that just goes hand in hand with Halloween and sexy paranormal books.

How hot and sexy is that? RAWR. I could just lick him…

Hope that warmed up your first day of November Monday! Have a good one!

32 Responses to Birthday Explosions

1. Evie Balos says:

Lol. I’m used to seeing him with long hair. He looks so different with his hair so short.

Evie

2. Evie Balos says:

Evie

3. angel Graham says:

I think I missed your birthday. Bad me. Happy Belated Birthday hun.

angel

4. angel Graham says:

I think I missed your birthday. Bad me. Happy Belated Birthday hun.

angel

Nope. I wish. That’s Marcus Schenkenberg. I post his hotness every Monday. 🙂

Nope. I wish. That’s Marcus Schenkenberg. I post his hotness every Monday. 🙂

7. Evie Balos says:

Oh my, that guy DOES look like a vampire. I take it he’s on one of your covers Lex?

Evie

8. Evie Balos says:

Evie

Jen – You did! And I love it there! If I’m busy I don’t feel that squirmy edge to go there. With email from the loops my mailbox becomes uncontrollable. So I’ve taken back control mostly. Thank you for the b-day wishes!

Mary – You were the first one to wish me happy birthday! I miss the gang a lot too. I keep up with you and Shiny on FB. Hard to find Jen these days but that’s partly my own fault for introducing her to Greg! LOL

11. marot says:

U know I wished ya a good 1 before ur big day. I wish I could have been there to do something embrassing to ya. U know I would have!!
    I miss talking to the old crew to but with everyone’s busy schedule it just dont roll anymore. No matter what you decide u know I will always have ur back. Got to go with your heart and pray it the right decision.

12. marot says:

13. I gotcha on Divas.
    I have had an ambivalent response to FB and it’s a struggle to keep it up. Oh, and I, too, have stopped using my IM, which I miss terribly.
    So, I hear you. I’m glad tons of people wished you a happy birthday.
    Love ya chicka.

14. I gotcha on Divas.
    So, I hear you. I’m glad tons of people wished you a happy birthday.
    Love ya chicka.

15. Cynthia Osborne says:

Fuck a duck with a brillo pad I am soooo late wishing you a happy B-day and I am not sure you will see this AACCKKK!! Oh well here goes: May the stars shine down on you and show you love is always in your heart and your friends are always wishing for you. Love ya darling Lex. Cyn

16. Cynthia Osborne says:

Marty – Thanks! I was really surprised that’s for sure!

Becky – Thank you so much! *HUGS*

Jan – It takes one to know one. 😉 Thank you!

Carol – An author page would be good especially if you’re not into the other aspects of FB. Thanks for the birthday wishes! *HUGS*

Lisa – Thank you, darlin!

Marty – Thanks! I was really surprised that’s for sure!

Becky – Thank you so much! *HUGS*

Jan – It takes one to know one. 😉 Thank you!

Lisa – Thank you, darlin!

19. Glad you had a wonderful and peaceful day, Lex. They are so few and far between. lol. And to have over 100 birthday wishes is awesome, and proof people do care for you. 🙂

20. Glad you had a wonderful and peaceful day, Lex. They are so few and far between. lol. And to have over 100 birthday wishes is awesome, and proof people do care for you. 🙂

21. Carol says:

If I did Facebook, I would have stopped by to wish you happy Birthday! I just don’t do FB, but maybe need to get started.

As far as IM’g…I hardly do that, either. I have so much trouble concentrating when writing, and sometimes when I’m on IM, I just…well…do nothing BUT IM.

Glad your birthday was a nice one! Many wishes for a wonderful year for you!

Hugs!

22. Carol says:

Glad your birthday was a nice one! Many wishes for a wonderful year for you!

Hugs!

23. Jan Irving says:

You truly are a special person. I always feel some resonance with some of the things you say, that I can connect and understand you. I do understand about friends on FB. In my case, mine was set up for another purpose originally. I’ve been considering deleting it and starting fresh with just people I interact with.

I’m so glad you had a great birthday and I really respect your attitude about the EPICs. Win/win, huh? You go.

24. Jan Irving says:

25. as much as i hate facebook, it would be nice to have the reminder that it is someone’s birthday. i’m a huge fan of birthdays. sorry i missed yours.
    all the best for a wonderful new winter year,
    becky

26. as much as i hate facebook, it would be nice to have the reminder that it is someone’s birthday. i’m a huge fan of birthdays. sorry i missed yours.
    all the best for a wonderful new winter year,
    becky

Debra – The people I’m talking about are people I’ve been following for a long while. I see them playing the FB games. I see them commenting on other people’s walls. If I comment on theirs, they respond to other comments but not to mine… That’s the people I’m talking about. Someone else said to just leave it be because it’s more time than it’s worth to me to go around unfriending. And sometimes people just get all pissy for some reason and eventually they get over it. For now, it’s just something to consider.

Glad to hear you had a great birthday. And so many friends that wished you a happy birthday was awesome.

31. Lex,

I’m so glad you had a wonderful day. You deserved it.

Don’t be so quick to assume your friends who didn’t comment don’t care. It might have nothing to do with you. They could be totally busy in their own lives and just not online much. Before you unfriend anyone, first check with them to see what’s going on.

32. Lex,

I’m so glad you had a wonderful day. You deserved it.