Wandering Minds

This morning I have a bit of a wandering mind. I can’t really focus but then again, it’s not even 6 am yet. 😉 Excuses aside, I suppose the wandering is in part because there’s lots of stuff going on in my world and not because Zombies Ate My Brains. (I love that t-shirt! Go buy one from Dave2! It’s perfect for Halloween.)

I don’t know what it is about the end of the year that sends me into a frenzy when it comes to writing. Perhaps it’s because I got my first contract in October, on the 30th, the day before my birthday. I have so many projects I’m working on with deadlines looming (some with real deadlines and some with self-imposed ones) that it’s a wonder my mind hasn’t wandered away before this!

I have Rock My World and Honorable Silence coming in November. I have Christmas Wishes and Unbreak Me coming in December. Right now, I need to finish my dark tale of the Five Realms for Patric Michael’s Wishing on a Blue Star anthology. Deadline: Nov 1. Next I need to do edits for Unbreak Me which has some world building issues (yes, even I have world building issues sometimes!) Then I need to tap out 10K for Christmas Wishes. After that I have a Quickie sequel to Rock My World to do and I need to get rolling on my Guardians series and then there’s the sequel to Unbreak Me…

You get the picture. Nonstop work. Which is good for me.

Last night I sat down and wrote out the story of how my parents died and how grief had affected me. I had not ever done that before. It was cathartic in some ways.  Mostly, I looked at it and went, “Wow. How the hell did I survive?” And the biggest AH HA moment came when I wrote down that grief had affected me to the extent that I hadn’t been able to write fiction for ten years. I still built the worlds and characters in my head, I just could not commit them to paper. I figure I must be okay now cause I can write up a storm these days!

Writing is very personal for me despite it being a business, but on a more personal note, my wandering mind is flitting to the jam packed week ahead. It’s my birthday week. And this is the big bad birthday. The horrid birthday. The one that has the AARP sending me mail. *sigh* Can I just say I’m kind of not looking forward to it? I mean, my birthday hasn’t really meant anything to anyone since my parents died. I realized that last night too as I wrote my grief story. Yeah, that makes me a little pathetic, but what and ever. It’s just how my life is. I don’t know what I’d do if someone made a fuss. Seriously.

Aside from my birthday there’s Halloween and a bunch of promo things I have happening like blog posts and interviews. And I have stuff going on at work that is going to keep me hopping. I have a conference call today for a couple of hours about new cemetery software and how it would affect our current customizations… blah blah stuff to the rest of you.

I have a new group blog I’ll be writing at every other Tuesday until the end of the year. Castles and Guns is a dark fantasy blog and right now I’ve only got the two fantasy stories (Ain’t Nuthin’ But a Hellhound in Weirdly III and my urban fantasy/paranormal Where There’s Smoke) but Unbreak Me is more urban fantasy than paranormal and In the Light (for Wishing on a Blue Star) is definitely a dark tale with a fantasy feel even though Weylyn Randall is in it. And how I managed to write anything about Weylyn and not have a sex scene is amazing.

Lots of stuff happening in my world right now. I made two new covers for Pink Petal Books and have a third in the works. You can see those over at Winterheart Design. Rott spent some significant time working on my new computer yesterday and I’m thinking the end is in sight soon which means switching over to the Tribal machine and giving the Green Machine to him.  I think there’s other stuff going on too but hell if I can remember this early in the morning. Just all kinds of things for my mind to wander back and forth through.

It’s raining again here in SoCal, remnants of a typhoon according to my Weather Channel desktop icon. So I think another wet Marcus is in order. I know it’s a repeat from more than a year ago but it sure is worth repeating.

I’ll be doing my first blogging at Castles and Guns on the 2nd so make sure you check it out and see what I have to say on my first day there. If you’re in one of the rainy areas today, try to stay dry. I’ll see you back here on Thursday for some Jimmy Thomas!

Have a great Monday!

26 Responses to Wandering Minds

That is one of my favorite of the Dave2 t-shirts.

I missed most, if not all of the rain when I was in SoCal the week before. Sorry we weren’t able to hook up while I was there. With family, Disney and other unwanted stress, it was something I was sad about not being able to finally meet you in person. Someday soon.

That is one of my favorite of the Dave2 t-shirts.

3. Amethyst says:

Ah babe, the life of a writer. Busy, busy, busy! Have a good birthday anyway!

Ame

4. Amethyst says:

Ah babe, the life of a writer. Busy, busy, busy! Have a good birthday anyway!

Ame

5. Dave2 says:

That’s my Halloween costume too! How embarrassing if we both show up to the same party!

6. Dave2 says:

7. Cynthia Osborne says:

Marcus looks good wet! LOL Happy early b-day darling may your wishes be granted and your happiness grow to know no bounds. Love Ya Cyn

8. Cynthia Osborne says:

9. Do you sleep? Good grief, you have so much going on! How sad about your parents and of course that affects your life.
    The end of the year is so hectic. I used to get shopping done months ahead of time, but now I don’t know why time is going by so fast. I can’t keep up…but I’m trying to de-stress my life so may do shopping differently this year.
    Enjoy your birthday…I didn’t mind “the big one”…it just validated my years of knowledge and ability to say “I don’t care what you think. Go away,” to those that bug me. With age comes confidence and wisdom to feel good about yourself.

10. Do you sleep? Good grief, you have so much going on! How sad about your parents and of course that affects your life.

11. Fiona McGier says:

I didn’t get really serious about writing down my stories other than a few short stories, until my Dad passed away from cancer and I had to take over running Mom’s life, because she has been sinking into dementia for the past 4 years at least. I sat down when everyone else (I have 4 young adult kids and a husband) was at work or school, and I haven’t been able to get a full-time job, so if I’m not called to sub, I’m home feeling unproductive. And I just thought, “I wonder what it would be like to write down a whole book?” And that was it, I was hooked. Many, many rejection letters later, an indie e-publisher took a chance on me, and I’ve never looked back. But I got a newsletter from the hospice that cared for Dad, and it had an article about how part of dealing with grief may involve doing something creative, trying out a new hobby, etc. To me, it was the defiant way of telling death it could hurt me, but not break me. I can create because I’m still here! So you keep on creating like mad! It’s the only way to give birth to all of those characters whose only other life is in your head, and it gets mighty crowded in there, doesn’t it? ;-D And Marcus? ROWF!

12. Fiona McGier says:

13. Hugs Lex, for making it through all your writing deadlines. Makes me tired just looking at them. I’m glad sharing your grief story helped. 🙂

14. Hugs Lex, for making it through all your writing deadlines. Makes me tired just looking at them. I’m glad sharing your grief story helped. 🙂

15. LOL….seeeee!!! That was supposed to be ((big hugs)) but bug hugs will work I guess. 🙂

16. LOL….seeeee!!! That was supposed to be ((big hugs)) but bug hugs will work I guess. 🙂

17. My mind has been wandering a lot too, Lex. But not about such pivotal things as a parent’s death, or turning the big 5-0! But issues all the same. I hit 50 in March and it’s not so bad. lol….yeah, right. 🙂

And wet Marcus is perfect for me today, and he’s yummy either way. We were up all night due to severe weather and tornado warnings.

Still no energy here and wish I had some.

((bug hugs))

18. My mind has been wandering a lot too, Lex. But not about such pivotal things as a parent’s death, or turning the big 5-0! But issues all the same. I hit 50 in March and it’s not so bad. lol….yeah, right. 🙂

Still no energy here and wish I had some.

((bug hugs))

19. Dawn R. says:

Well dang Lex…you are making me tired just reading what you got going on. Thank god Marcus is perking me up after reading all that you have going on.

It’s a nice Fall day here in Western NY. It feels like spring instead of late Fall but hey, last week were were rainy, cold and had our first snow. UGH! I think I will take 60’s any day. lol

20. Dawn R. says:

21. Jan Irving says:

I’m glad I’m not the only so affected by grief, or pre-grief. I actually attended a meditation dedicated to it and found it helped to acknowledge it.

You have so much going on I’m getting a headache looking at it. 🙂

Marcus is just what is needed on a monday.

22. Jan Irving says:

You have so much going on I’m getting a headache looking at it. 🙂

Marcus is just what is needed on a monday.

23. On the serious side. Thank you. My grandmother, who was the world to me, died almost a year ago. Although I’ve been able to edit and write non-fiction, I just haven’t been able to sink into a world or character. I haven’t been able to “write” if you know what I mean.

I think, after reading this blog, that I’ll take it a little easier on myself…

I’m here in central Cal… and it’s raining too. Thank you for the wet Marcus. Very, very nice.

24. On the serious side. Thank you. My grandmother, who was the world to me, died almost a year ago. Although I’ve been able to edit and write non-fiction, I just haven’t been able to sink into a world or character. I haven’t been able to “write” if you know what I mean.

I think, after reading this blog, that I’ll take it a little easier on myself…

25. Carol says:

Ohh….nice Marcus!

And..don’t worry. Your..um…twenty-fifth birthday won’t be so bad!! LOL…
    It’s good you were able to write about your parents. That WILL be good for you. The pain never goes away, but it does help to feel through your emotions!

Lastly..I’m so envious of your rain. It’s beautiful fall weather here, sunny and warm, but I’d love a rainy day.

26. Carol says:

Ohh….nice Marcus!

And..don’t worry. Your..um…twenty-fifth birthday won’t be so bad!! LOL…