Now What?

Over the weekend I wrote a total of 5500 words. My WIP Afterburner is now at 14,300 words. Less than 6K to finish. Due date is 9/30. I’m thinking I can pull that off… I probably would be done already but I keep finding myself doing research. Yesterday, it was on ejection seats for the F-35. Somehow I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into when I created this plot! LOL

I also made a couple of covers for Pink Petal Books. One for Jaime Samms and one for the Tales series. I did the cover for the first book in Jaime’s Ageless series and this is the sequel.

With Tales number 6 set for release on October 7, I figured I’d best do the cover for Tales number 7. This book is a direct sequel to Fire Season and it continues Holden and Garret’s story while bringing in a secondary het love story for Ashworth Stone, who is actually dead. Now you’re wondering how I can have a love story for a dead woman, but trust me, I’m gonna pull it off!

The other thing that happened over the weekend is that one of the Romance Writers of America chapters that I belong to had a pitch day on their private blog for members only. We had the chance to pitch to editor Megan Records of Kensington. Out of curiosity, I went to take a look. Hell. The pitches were just mini-synopsis. Like a fool, I thought, “I can do that.” So I did.

OMG. I am such a moron. I pitched a book that isn’t done. It’s based on a short story I did for an RWA chapter’s writing contest a couple of years ago. My pal Dee Carney won the contest. I took that story and used it as the springboard for a very gritty and violent urban fantasy book that should be about 75K. Except, it’s not finished.

The point to my tale is that I was asked for a partial. Which I have. But that’s about ALL I have. On the one hand, I’m jumping for joy. Kensington is a big publisher. A PRINT house from NYC. On the other hand, I’m thinking, “What the hell have I done?” I pitched a book that isn’t finished. That is seriously gonna put a crimp in my scheduling.

Well, the deed is done now. Despite sitting here thinking “Now what?” about how to produce a book that’s still in my head, I guess I am pleased. As soon as I finish Afterburner this week, I’ll polish my partial, expand on my synopsis so it fits submission guidelines and email it off. Her turn around time is three months so in that time, I need to put in some work on my violent little tale.

It’s time for me to toddle off to work, but before I go, I must leave you with my Marcus for this last Monday of September.

That’s a repeat Marcus from a couple of years ago but it’s a gorgeous pic and it makes me think of cool water, something needed in this end of September heat wave the OC is having.

Wishing you a cool, crisp Fall Monday!

18 Responses to Now What?

1. Lex, you rock. Will your impressive word count you can totally do this.

Congrats!

Janice~

2. Lex, you rock. Will your impressive word count you can totally do this.

Congrats!

Janice~

3. Fiona McGier says:

Good luck Lex! Oy, what problems you have…but I should have such problems! Seduce your muse however you have to do it, and get to work…you’ll be fine.

4. Fiona McGier says:

5. Laura Kaye says:

Hi Lex–one of my good friends got a Kensington request as well–it’s awesome for you both! I have to chuckle with your predicament because I’m in a similar boat…actually I didn’t realize it was a pitch session, naive newbie that I am, I thought the editor was simply offering feedback on three-line pitches (well, in fairness, that is what they said, but of course she also evaluated them for herself! lol), and so I have a request for a full on an unfinished manuscript as well. And, of course, it’s my problem child manuscript to boot. (I’m 42,000 words into a project 80K mss.) So, we can be crazy people together! Good luck!

6. Laura Kaye says:

Margaret – He’s awesome! Thanks for the good wishes!

Jasmine – Thanks! I’m definitely gonna try!

Rebecca – Thanks! The covers came out really well and both I and the other author are happy with em.

Carol – That’s one of my all time fave photos of him. And wait until you read Seth and Corey. You may like them better than Holden and Garret!

Ame – You’re a tease! 😛 Thanks, darlin. LOL

Margaret – He’s awesome! Thanks for the good wishes!

Jasmine – Thanks! I’m definitely gonna try!

Ame – You’re a tease! 😛 Thanks, darlin. LOL

9. ame says:

hahaha! I can say that, yes I can! I’m jealous as hell and I’m saying hahahaserves you right! plbt! *blows rasberry*

On a serious note, there’s very few people I know of that deserve it more! Huge congrats! Oh and we woke up at 48 degree morning.

10. ame says:

11. Carol says:

You will just….do it.

Love the covers, and looking forward to more of Holden and Garret. And I enjoyed Marcus.
    He looks like a very young Yul Brynner. Sigh.

12. Carol says:

You will just….do it.

He looks like a very young Yul Brynner. Sigh.

13. Hey Lex – I love the new covers. Also, good luck with the Kensington submission!

14. Hey Lex – I love the new covers. Also, good luck with the Kensington submission!

15. Jasmine says:

OMG! You can do it. Good luck!!!!

16. Jasmine says:

OMG! You can do it. Good luck!!!!

17. I love marcus!!!!!!!!! Much luck with the book.

18. I love marcus!!!!!!!!! Much luck with the book.