Like the Wind

I’ve been writing like the wind. I’m at 7500 words of a 20K story due September 30. (And my editor may be looking at this with greedy eyes. Yes, Kris. It’s getting closer to completion!) I’ve got another deadline right behind that one. Both of these stories have been on the back burner for my editors for awhile now. I love it that I can finally get them done. Then it’s on to other things that have been back burnered! LOL

I do have new stuff cooking too. My brain is always percolating ideas. I’m eager to get into my edits for Rock My World because I know that immersing myself in that world means I will be ready to start the sequels. It’s a good thing that the gals from Z.A. Maxfield’s group and I have been doing Word Wars. All of us have deadlines ‘cept our one un-pubbed author who we’re encouraging to complete her first manuscript.

The discipline behind Word Wars makes you accountable for your word count.  I feel bad when I only do 300 words in 30 minutes. I feel guilty. Of course, this is how Dee Carney and L. Shannon trained me to be when they taught me how to Word War. I’m like Pavlov’s dog except when the buzzer goes off if I don’t have at least 500 words I feel like I deserve to be whipped…instead of salivating as the dog did. LOL

I almost panicked today when my mouse died and I couldn’t find batteries. Then I found them and panicked again cause it was the last two! I’d forgotten to get more! OMG! What if I run out later?

Writers have the weirdest neurosis or hadn’t  you noticed? LOL

One good thing about writing like the wind is that you see a lot of progress and suddenly the deadlines don’t feel so stressful. I have these two I’m working on now to finish. I’m waiting on two sets of edits for two different publishers. I have a Christmas short to do (sequel to last year’s Christmas in Hell) and a sequel to Rock My World and then a short off shoot of my November release… the list goes on and on. It’s endless. Or will be until my ideas dry up which I doubt will happen.

I’m actually pretty happy about writing so much. I stalled so much over the past 8 months that my releases have trickled out this year as opposed to last year’s flood. Of course, my home life had more ups and downs than an elevator which contributed to my lackluster writing speed. Knock on wood that things continue as smoothly as they have been in the last couple of months.

I’m hopeful that this writing spate means I have lots to show for my time soon. And I’m hoping it helps keep me a happy camper cause I could use a break from the stress. 🙂 I know I’ve been structuring my time better and that helps a lot too. But writing like the wind helps the most. And in the end gives my readers a lot more of me. 😉

Today’s Marcus is draped in metal. He’s a good platform for showcasing jewelry. All those hard, sleek muscles… Yum.

I’ve got a post for you on Thursday with an announcement, so come on back in a few days to see what I have in store for you! Have a great Marcus Monday!

16 Responses to Like the Wind

1. ame says:

Interesting! I never thought about being upset with myself if I do 300 or less in a half hour. I envy you word warriors. lol I’d love to join you guys sometime. I may not have actual deadlines, but I have self imposed ones that I am having trouble meeting lately. lol I’m very proud of you, though!

Ame

2. ame says:

Ame

3. Keep writing, that’s what your good at, Lex. 🙂

Janice~

4. Keep writing, that’s what your good at, Lex. 🙂

Janice~

5. I’d never heard of Word Wars…300 words in 30 minutes. I’ve never timed myself like that but it sounds interesting.
    Good for you for getting into action and feeling great about what you’re doing. When we run into a brick wall, sometimes we need to step back and wait for a chance to jump over…and you did!

6. I’d never heard of Word Wars…300 words in 30 minutes. I’ve never timed myself like that but it sounds interesting.

Carol – You WILL finish that manuscript! 🙂

Lisa – I will. Sometimes it just helps to have my friends there with me.

Christine – Thanks! I’ll stop by this week to see what’s going on at your blog. 🙂

Marty – Go write! Seriously…go write! Or we’ll drag you into Word Wars on a Saturday in Yahoo IM. 😉

Carol – You WILL finish that manuscript! 🙂

Lisa – I will. Sometimes it just helps to have my friends there with me.

Winter wrote: “Writers have the weirdest neurosis or hadn’t you noticed?”

Oh, I’ve noticed that about me. Nice to know it’s normal.

Love to hear this writing surge. I need to get back to some of my stories. I’ve let too many distractions get in the way these past few months.

Winter wrote: “Writers have the weirdest neurosis or hadn’t you noticed?”

Oh, I’ve noticed that about me. Nice to know it’s normal.

11. Christine Young says:

Love your home page–very creative. Love your hunk too. Keep on writing. Your books look interesting. Check out rogue’s angels blog @

We feature articles and interviews of writers. Three of us are romance writers the 4th angel writes fantasy and mystery.

12. Christine Young says:

13. Keep writing like the wind, Lex. Seems to be good for your soul. 🙂

14. Keep writing like the wind, Lex. Seems to be good for your soul. 🙂

15. Carol says:

What can I say? I love the word wars! Don’t know what it is about them, but it really pumps up my productivity, and I’m a chapte away from the end of my book.

Thanks for hosting word wars!

I know the ‘wind writing’ will come and go for me, but I love it when it’s there.

16. Carol says:

Thanks for hosting word wars!