Judge Not

I spent Saturday judging some writing contest entries. It was fun, but I have to say, the first few I read were disappointing. I guess I expected them to be better stories. I don’t know why I had that expectation but I did.  The writing was okay, the mechanics not bad, but I felt nothing when I read them. They weren’t exactly boring, but they just weren’t interesting enough to capture my interest.

Of course, I could tell with a few of them that they just needed a better vocabulary, better word choices, to pump up the story and give it more oomph. Others, well, let’s just say that the plots needed some work.  I will say that there were two real standouts of the ten I read and that’s a pretty decent percentage.

I talked to Nikki (Motley) about how to present yourself when you try to get a job. I told her to stand up straight and not slouch. People might perceive you as lazy and schlumpy if you don’t stand up straight. Now, in Nikki’s case, standing up straight means her gigantic boobs are really, really on display. There’s not much we can do about that.  I mean, Mother Nature saw fit to endow her with the kind of chest strippers pay plastic surgeons to get.  I try to get her to dress so that her chest isn’t so much on display when she’s job hunting. After all, despite it not being right for people to judge each other, they just do especially when they need to size up job applicants.

Used to be, Nikki had the attitude that since people shouldn’t judge each other she could suit herself. She was in her teens then and feeling all angsty and rebellious. Now, she gets it that while we shouldn’t judge others there are times you have to and most people are gonna do it anyway.  I don’t think it’s how humans are biologically, I think it’s how our culture is. And luckily, at 21, Nikki now gets this too. Now, if only she could just get people to stop staring at her boobs and give her a customer service type job…

Today’s Marcus is low key and pretty. I was playing around with gradients in Photoshop and used my favorite Marcus photo.  I love purple.

Oh! Before I go I invite you to check out Fonts For Peas. Amanda made a font out of my handwriting! It’s called peaLex Valentine. 🙂 I should probably use it on this site. Whadda ya think?

Wishing you all a non-judgmental Monday!

14 Responses to Judge Not

1. Tell Nikki to stand straight and proud, and I wish her luck with finding a job. The economy may slowly be picking up, but here in Alabama jobs are still few and far between. Hopefully an employer will see her for what she has to offer skillwise, and not for her physical assets. 🙂 It’s hard feeling like she does. I used to be the same way.

2. Tell Nikki to stand straight and proud, and I wish her luck with finding a job. The economy may slowly be picking up, but here in Alabama jobs are still few and far between. Hopefully an employer will see her for what she has to offer skillwise, and not for her physical assets. 🙂 It’s hard feeling like she does. I used to be the same way.

3. marott says:

Considering I am also well endowned, I can say that the more you dont wear things to attract to that area the better. No big dangly necklace that justs screams ‘look at my boobs.” A jacket is a good way to cover the girls up & keeps you looking very professional. Plus you can have them in differnet colors & wiht different buttons. I own 4 professionals jackets that go with different shirts & pants, including my jeans. I wish her good luck.

I like the handwriting font. It makes it more personal.

Personal note to you, thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully by this time next week I’ll have a job or at least get to go talk to them again about it.

4. marott says:

I like the handwriting font. It makes it more personal.

I’ll be honest as a male that appreciates a well endowed female, but I’m also not an oogler and only glance. A friend of mine is quite the opposite, pretending there are eyes on each nipple, with his eyes never leaving them during a conversation.

The idea that Nikki is going out there and wanting to get a fair interview makes sense, having her be viewed from her skill set and personality over her chest assets. Good luck to her as she ventures more into the job world.

MS – You know, when I was reading submissions for a publisher, I had a lot of subs with bad structure. They might have had a good plot, but they couldn’t execute it. With the writing contest I just did, I had more of the reverse. These people could write as far as structure went, but their plot lacked believability or they just didn’t write in a manner that popped out at me. I wouldn’t contract a book that couldn’t engage me. For that you need a good vocabulary and good storytelling abilities. The intricate plot that you think would make a killer book might make me yawn because you’ve shoved far too many elements into it. One of the reasons I write romance is because then your work can be character driven and no matter what elements you choose to use (paranormal, sci fi, contemporary, etc) the outcome should always be the same…the HEA. You don’t necessarily need a huge intricate plot filled with devices to get from the beginning to the end. Sometimes, less is more.

Dave2 – I was soooo stoked that Amanda chose to make a font from my handwriting. It’s the most amazing thing to see! It’s not exactly like my handwriting but it’s sure close enough to freak me out if I type in it in Word. And, I do appreciate you always putting up with me posting that same naked guy over and over…even if he is a purple gradient this time. 😉

SurprisedMom – I tell Nikki to behave professionally. Stand erect and look people in the eye. You’d be surprised how few people do that anymore. Be honest, straightforward, and speak in a quiet, firm voice without slang or jargon. You want people to sense your integrity and work ethic. You want to seem eager to do a good job for them. And just make the best of yourself in every way you can. Don’t look sloppy, don’t act sloppy. Attention to detail is important. If you can’t wear makeup (like me) then make sure you don’t have a hair out of place. Stuff like that. The little things are often overlooked (like ragged fingernails) but they mean something to someone who is checking you out for a job. It’s okay to be fat and poor. It’s not okay to be slovenly, slouchy, and speak in an unprofessional manner.

9. SurprisedMom says:

I love purple!

Do you have an advice column for those of us who are job seeking and not the perfect human specimen? (The boobs I don’t have to worry about, everything else, yes.)

10. SurprisedMom says:

I love purple!

11. Dave2 says:

I think your handwriting font is pretty dang awesome!

Even though I had to scroll past some naked dude to get to it. 🙂

12. Dave2 says:

I think your handwriting font is pretty dang awesome!

Even though I had to scroll past some naked dude to get to it. 🙂

13. Interesting blog on judging–but I’d like to hear more since I’ve offered to judge some entries. Do you write a critique for the author? Which would you say is more generally lacking: plot development or writing skill? Etc. Thanks, Lex.

14. Interesting blog on judging–but I’d like to hear more since I’ve offered to judge some entries. Do you write a critique for the author? Which would you say is more generally lacking: plot development or writing skill? Etc. Thanks, Lex.