PCH

On Friday when I got home from work, Rott wasn’t home. I figured he’d gone to see his mom so I didn’t think anything of it. He called me after I’d already changed into house clothes and had begun to work my way through the day’s email. He’d been to see his mom and was upset about something. He’d attempted to tell her what was bothering him, but she didn’t get it so it just sorta made him feel worse.

At any rate, he didn’t want to come home, wanted to do something out of the house which was the reason for his call.  Now, Rott’s not much to want to go out. I have a purse full of movie tickets I’ve won at work that attests to this fact.  So if Rott wants to go out, who am I to say no?

Still, I had stuff to do and he wanted to rinse off in the shower. By the time he got home I’d finished deleting email. While he rinsed off in the shower I ordered groceries for a Saturday delivery.  I got dressed and we went out.

The first thing we did was cruise straight down the 55 to PCH in his SUV. And Rott talked. And talked. And talked. It was good. Usually, the man doesn’t talk. It was kinda nice to hear his voice and his thoughts instead of the half dozen sentences that get him through the week, repeated as needed.

Driving through Balboa Peninsula we decided to head over to PCH. Windows down, sunroof open, the sun setting…it was a gorgeous drive in the truck which is a really cushy truck. I guess we talked about where to eat dinner for a good forty minutes just cruising from Balboa down PCH to Goldenwest, then up through the park to Warner…all places we used to drive when we lived in that part of the county. We both admitted to missing living over there.

When we saw Don Ramon’s in Huntington Beach we decided we wanted Mexican food and a pitcher of margys. But a pitcher of margys between us when you’re 20 miles and two freeways from home is a bad idea. So we stopped at BevMo cause as Rott’s talking about needing to go to the liquor store, we were passing the store that outdoes all liquor stores. And wow! Both of us had a BevMo card on us! WOOT!

After the BevMo stop we headed for home and the El Torito near our house. We had a nice dinner – ordered the same thing LOL – with the fresh guacamole appetizer and our pitcher of margys. We laughed about the bad karaoke in the bar. When we left a band was playing on the patio at Zito’s and I sang Walk Like An Egyptian with them as I walked to the truck.

We got home and sat in front of the TV talking. I didn’t go and turn on the computer until I was almost ready to hit the sheets. And for all that I didn’t get any work done…it felt like a really productive night. One of the things that both of us acknowledged is that it felt good to burn that half a tank of gas and cruise PCH. It felt good to talk. It felt good to share a pitcher of margys. It just felt good to be together.  It was a perfect night.

Feels kinda blasphemous to post a Marcus after that but I am who I am and I love to look at Marcus.

That image sorta goes with my PCH drive I think. 😉 Wishing you all a really great Monday!

16 Responses to PCH

The cruising on PCH is nice. I’ve done that several times over the years and there’s something really enthralling about the experience. My guilty pleasure song to listen to while driving PCH is “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears For Fears.

As for the talking, my wife likes to do that while driving. We communicate well, but I admit to being a good listener most of the time.

3. marott says:

I miss that. Cant really talk with 3 kids in the back that like to talk too. One day i might do that again but no time soon.

4. marott says:

5. That’s great. You got to connect and have a great time. That’s what I call a productive evening.

6. That’s great. You got to connect and have a great time. That’s what I call a productive evening.

7. Sounds like a wonderful time, and something I would love to do. Quality time is a wonderful thing!! Mexican and Margy’s are a favorite as well. Yum!

8. Sounds like a wonderful time, and something I would love to do. Quality time is a wonderful thing!! Mexican and Margy’s are a favorite as well. Yum!

9. Zamaxfield says:

three of my offspring will be out of town this week and I just bought hubby a comfy new car, maybe we should go…?

Wow. Balboa Peninsula, that’s where hubby and I met! Maybe we should!

ZAM

10. Zamaxfield says:

Wow. Balboa Peninsula, that’s where hubby and I met! Maybe we should!

ZAM

11. Carol says:

Man, oh, man.
    My characters are always cruising the PCH, and I’m so envious of people who really CAN cruise it! My dream!
    Sounds like a nice evening!

12. Carol says:

Man, oh, man.
    Sounds like a nice evening!

13. Nat says:

We get more talking done in the car than anywhere else. And yeah, there ain’t nothing like an impromptu drive to make it happen.

Sounds like a great night.

14. Nat says:

Sounds like a great night.

15. Sometimes, despite pressing schedules, deadline, an impending sense of “I gotta get it done” and whatnot, just taking a break from the usual can carry us far further than any concerted effort to keep our nose to the grindstone.

Breaking habits and reconnecting with your guy is a thousand times better, and isn’t it amazing how your whole outlook on the world has changed from that simple act of cruising like you used to?

Hugs baby. I am so very glad you found and took the time to play for a while.

Muaah!

16. Sometimes, despite pressing schedules, deadline, an impending sense of “I gotta get it done” and whatnot, just taking a break from the usual can carry us far further than any concerted effort to keep our nose to the grindstone.

Hugs baby. I am so very glad you found and took the time to play for a while.

Muaah!