Favoritism

We all have things we’re partial to.  Restaurants and food. Authors and books. Clothes and colors. The list can go on and on. Last night I asked my Yahoo group to tell me which of the sex scenes (or love scenes if you prefer) that I’ve written were the hottest and why.  Just a little informal poll. I want to see what they say and I have a reason for doing so.

This week I started dismantling The Bar. The writers are all busy with other things in their lives and a couple of them went in and removed their posts because they have copyright concerns. When it became obvious that rather than leave a disjointed story up there, the whole thing would need to come down, I emailed the other authors and removed all the readers from the board so no one could access it but the writers. Then I began the process of taking it all down.

As I was copying my posts to a Word doc to save, I realized that some of the scenes I’d written really stuck out in my mind. They were favorites for whatever reason.  Then it hit me that even in my published works, I had scenes and characters who were my favorites.

Unlike some authors who spit out their work and never look back, I use my prior work to fuel whatever the current manuscript is. I use it to evoke a specific headspace and mindset that I need to produce a scene.  Sure, there are some books I have that are old and well-loved and I use those too sometimes. In my own writing, I know just where to go to dig up the emotions needed to complete a specific scene. For instance, if I need to write a scene filled with despair and pain, I’ll go read Rousing Caine, the part where Jason’s in the hospital, Chris is dying and Jason finally gets all the lessons Caine tried to teach him.  I cried when I wrote it. I cry when I read it and it has fueled other scenes.

I suppose that makes those scenes my favorites. And I’m curious to see if the people in my group have the same feelings as I do about some of those scenes.  I think that if they are feeling what I feel, then I am absolutely doing what I am supposed to do when it comes to writing. So I can’t wait to see these responses. If you would like to play along, feel free to leave a comment and tell me about your favorite scene or character that I’ve written. Show me your favorites!

Today’s Marcus is a beauty. I always feel that Monday cannot go wrong if his naked chest is on my blog.

I posted over at Flirty Author Bitches last week about how my brain isn’t maturing at the same rate as my body. I’m still looking at hotties younger than me and my kid just turned 21 yesterday. If you get a chance, stop by Motley’s Facebook or Socially Dead and wish her a happy 21st.

Hope you have a great Monday!

6 Responses to Favoritism

Motley is 21? Damn, she is growing up fast. And I’ve only known about her for just over 2 years.

As for the stories, I tend to not forget my previous ones (including the ones that are works in progress) and I like to know that some of the scenarios and instances the characters are involved in can be remembered for future stories. I tend to look at it as a way of keeping the same writing style, yet being creative enough with my stories.

3. marott says:

I have to say it is hard to pick just one of yours. U use so much emotion in everything u write. It can be gut busting funny, make you find the kleenex or wanna hump alot. Can’t pick just one fav girl. Everything you write touchs me either in the heart, head, or groin area. Spence loves the turn mary on stuff so you golden in my house.
    I know I one of those bar writers that just is going crazy. I loved that writing but I just didnt know where to go with it. I like seeing what was. Now though I only have to read your stuff and know what will be. Keep kicking it out girl!!!

4. marott says:

5. Carol says:

Well, you answered by question for me. You know how I feel about Rousing Caine. When Caine told Jason how he’d heard his laugh, and just ‘knew’. Even THINKING about this scene, even as I write this comment, gives me chills.
    .-= Carol´s last blog ..Eat Your Heart Out, Carrie Bradshaw…… =-.

6. Carol says:

.-= Carol´s last blog ..Eat Your Heart Out, Carrie Bradshaw…… =-.