I’m No Reviewer

I kinda have the rep that I’ll read anything and I’ll write anything. If I feel like it, I do it when it comes to reading and writing. That being said, I also can’t keep my mouth shut when I read something that just strikes me as perfection in print.

Earlier this month at Flirty Author Bitches, I expounded on the heroine who was different and offered up Kim Knox’s Breaking Chance which has a heroine who is a criminal. It’s a sci-fi romance, het, and a very good read if you like action-adventure with hot sex, romance, and a twisted ending.  I probably gave away spoilers without meaning to, but I really am no reviewer. When I talk about a book I love, I have trouble not offering up proof in the form of scenes and lines I loved.

So, as you may have guessed, I read something I liked last night. I went to bed early because I’d only gotten four hours of sleep the night before and wrote 4K words yesterday. I figured an hour of reading and poofta! I’d be asleep. And the road to hell is paved with good intentions…

Me, Louie,and my Nook (named Nookie) went to bed with Neil Placky’s GayLife.com.

Before I tell you about this book, let me say that I adore Kris Jacen. So far, there is nothing she’s told me to read that I didn’t like. We click as a team when it comes to me writing and her editing my writing. I love what she got out of me in Rousing Caine. And she’s a caring, supportive editor who isn’t done with you once your manuscript is finalized. If I see her name inside a cover, I know the manuscript has been handled with care and professionalism.

Of course, it was Kris who recommended Neil’s book to me, but he posted an excerpt somewhere, not sure where, and it captured my attention. Still, too many books, too little time and the file remained on my computer unopened until last night. Scrolling through the books on Nookie, I just clicked on GayLife.com and thought, “What the hell. Not gonna finish it tonight, but it seems like the kind of book that has a bunch of narrative and descriptions so it should put me right to sleep.”

I admit to having to eat those words. It’s a bitter breakfast, but I don’t care. I can still taste the divine sacher torte of GayLife.com in my mouth from reading until 1 am. Yep. Couldn’t put it down.

So what the hell was so great about this book that Miz Four Hours of sleep couldn’t stop reading? Uh, everything. This book read like a gay chick lit romance.  Saucy, irreverent, tender, funny…shit, you can slap all kinds of words on this book to describe it, but one rose above the others. Riveting. The characters just leapt off the pages at me. Written in first person, with an amazing voice, the author sucked me in within the first chapter.

Okay, I sorta hated Nick, the boss whom the hero falls in love with. He seemed really self-absorbed. But then, I remembered that like Elisa Rolle, I love the imperfect hero. I kept thinking that Brian, the first person hero of the story, would find someone amazing who just ripped his crush on Nick to bits. Didn’t happen. Instead, Nick started becoming more likable. That’s when I knew the book was totally headed for a happy ending.

Two more points I need to make about this book and then I’ll slap a Marcus on this post and toddle off to work. My first point is that I opened this book thinking I’d get these lush descriptive passages, pages and pages of Anne Rice and Margaret Mitchell type descriptives.  After all, Neil is heralded as a great writer. Uh. So not on the pages and pages of descriptives. You get some, and what you get is interesting and lively and yes, lush. But even better, you get dialog. Excellent, sparkling dialog. And there’s a Josh Lanyon type way of making less say more too which brings me to the second point I wanted to make about this book.

This author has a way with a one-liner that is so effing stellar he made me cry. Indeed, that is my mark of a truly great romance. Did you make me cry? I don’t think I’m giving away too much of a spoiler since this is a romance and you KNOW there is a HEA.  But when Nick says, “This is the room where the man I love sleeps” my eyes watered. No classic declarations of love and yet, I cried. This book is effing perfect. Read it. Really, you should.

Deep breath now. Shifting gears to… my Monday Marcus. Here’s one of my all-time fave photos of him. I know I’ve posted it before, but it’s been awhile,and I really love this shot.

I hope you all have a great Monday!

14 Responses to I’m No Reviewer

1. Pingback: Cyborg Seduction | Lex Valentine

2. Pingback: Cyborg Seduction | Lex Valentine

3. marot says:

I luv whne a book grabs you & you have to finish it. Bought a book on Sunday & finished it a few hours later. Spence hates it but I luv when that happens.

4. marot says:

5. Ame says:

Wowsers! Sounds fabulous! I’ll have to put it on my tbb list!

6. Ame says:

Wowsers! Sounds fabulous! I’ll have to put it on my tbb list!

Kathy – I get really yakky when I like something or hate something. The extremes bring out the writer in me. In this case, I was just so impressed, how could I not write about it? I’m no reviewer, truly. I don’t pay attention to spoilers and such. But I do like to tell people what I liked about books.

SuprisedMom – The ending was very touching and a lot of what I read today is missing the boat with emotional endings. It’s all cut and dried before the last chapter starts and I hate that. I want to feel that rush of emotion and the choked up throat at the HEA. Neil did it in a very understated manner, but I like that. I’m a huge Josh Lanyon fan and he’s the master of subtlety when it comes to giving his characters a HEA. Neil did it in the same style and I loved it.

Pat – I have em on my list! I always – eventually anyway – read what Kris touts as awesome.
    .-= Winter´s last blog ..I’m No Reviewer =-.

.-= Winter´s last blog ..I’m No Reviewer =-.

9. Pat Brown says:

You can never go wrong with a Neil Plakcy book. He’s got the master’s touch. Try his Mahu series. All good reads.

10. Pat Brown says:

11. SurprisedMom says:

You many not call yourself a reviewer, but your excellent review of this book has made me put it on my list of “must reads.” I’m always looking for superb reading material and thanks to you, I think I found some. Can’t wait to read gaylife.com
    .-= SurprisedMom´s last blog ..I’m laughing =-.

12. SurprisedMom says:

.-= SurprisedMom´s last blog ..I’m laughing =-.

13. Kathy K says:

Ooh Lex, you got caught too eh?
    I LOVED Gaylife.com but I didn’t have to factor in a loss of sleep.

And,while you say that you’re no reviewer… to you I say HA! You did a wonderful job and outlined perfectly all the things I so enjoyed about this book.

In fact, I’ve found the same in any of Neil’s books that I’ve read.

Go you Lex!
    .-= Kathy K´s last blog ..Paul’s D’Marco by Leiland Dale =-.

14. Kathy K says:

Ooh Lex, you got caught too eh?
    I LOVED Gaylife.com but I didn’t have to factor in a loss of sleep.

In fact, I’ve found the same in any of Neil’s books that I’ve read.

Go you Lex!
    .-= Kathy K´s last blog ..Paul’s D’Marco by Leiland Dale =-.