Insert Irony Here

Um, yeah. I don’t do the vote begging thing very well. “Vote for meeeeee!”  I’m the type of person who will tell everyone there is a voting opportunity, but leave it at that. I’ll post it here, post it to the Yahoo groups I belong to on the appointed promo days, and pretty much leave it at that. The voting thing eats at me because it’s just not logical.

Let me backtrack for a second here and tell you what’s going on. Love Romances Cafe, a book review site, announced their nominees for the Best of 2009. Fire Season has been nominated for Best Shape Shifter Novel. I am, of course, honored. I posted excerpts and promo’d a little at LRC’s showcase day on their group yesterday. But voting starts today so I’m pretty sure the Yahoo groups are inundated with authors pimping for votes. *sigh*

To me this process is not logical. It’s backward. Of course, as much as I love Elisa Rolle, I thought the Rainbow Awards were a little backward too. (Although to give Elisa her due, she tried really, really hard to make it as agenda free as possible and I commend her for even taking on the project.) Here’s the deal. With the Rainbow Awards, Elisa allowed everyone to nominate books and vote on them. Then she took the popular vote winners to a panel of judges. I liked this… except that the judges then got to add to the list with books they thought belonged there. That didn’t feel right to me. I just wanted to yell, “Either or, people! Either or!” With the judges adding books to the list on top of the popular voting, it just felt like there were more chances for people to push an agenda.

With LRC’s nominees, I think (and don’t quote me here cause I didn’t ask) the LRC staff looked at the reviews they’d given that year and chose their nominees from that list. Now, they are asking the public to vote on them to choose the winner. And, as you can tell, I’m not so crazy about that process either. And don’t even get me started on Preditors and Editors! A well respected site letting people nominate themselves and vote as much as they want based on email and IP addresses. Puleeze. What a joke. I can’t for the life of me understand why they would do that. In my eyes, it simply tarnishes their reputation.

I guess I just feel that there needs to be a clear selection process for nominees and then a clear judging process based on criteria. Not this popular voting crap. I won’t win jack no matter how good my book is because I don’t “pimp the vote.” Yeah, sure Fire Season did get the popular vote win at Rainbow Awards, but I wonder if then it made the judges leery of it. Cause yanno, I might have been had I been in their shoes.

To me, you need a selection committee to choose nominees. (In a review site’s case, this would be people who make the selection from the top reviews of the year.) Then you need a group of judges (not the same people as the selection committee) to make their choices based on a set of criteria. Of course, I suppose I’m living in a rose colored glasses world to hope that things would be done in such a logical manner in all these awards. And I don’t mean to sound ungrateful either. I just like things to be fair and when you can’t bring yourself to pimp for votes, things become really unfair.

At any rate, Fire Season is nominated for Best Shape Shifter Book of 2009. If you would like to vote for it, and/or happen to think it IS the best shape shifter book you read in 2009, I invite you to send in a vote. Here is the information:

Voting begins FEBRUARY 15th and ends FEBRUARY 22nd.

To vote: Send an email to dawn_roberto AT yahoo DOT com with “LRC’s “BEST OF 2009″ Awards” in subject. If this is not in the subject it will not be counted.

All entries must be received by 2/23/2010. Any entries received after that will NOT be counted and automatically deleted.

To vote for Fire Season just state in the body of your email “Fire Season – Best Shape Shifter.”

In other news, Flirty Author Bitches is back up and running with a line-up of Monday-Friday blogging with some of the hottest authors and aspiring authors out there! Today’s blogger is my friend Regina Carlysle. Please stop by and show her a little belated Valentine’s love and you’ll be entered in a drawing to win a prize.

I’ve submitted Insolence to Cobblestone so now it’s a wait and see thing. Still waiting on edits for Where There’s Smoke. The AWH contest for Rekindled ends today. AND, I need to power on with the reluctant Common Ground. I thought the addition of Weylyn to this story would make it easier, but it started turning into the Weylyn show because Marius and Sair have… issues. *sigh* I’ll be spending lots of quality time with them today.

Now, my Marcus for today is a little bit of yummy that I seriously need on this holiday Monday.

If you’ve been by Winterheart Dot Com lately, you’ll have noticed that there’s some sawdust from construction. I still don’t have all the graphics up nor have I figured out the stupid thumbnail script yet. I will. I just need some time. I have plans to revamp this blog too but the header will stay so don’t worry that you won’t recognize it one day. LOL

Have yourselves a simply wonderful President’s Day Monday! MUAH!

18 Responses to Insert Irony Here

Thanks, Karl! 🙂
    .-= Winter´s last blog ..Insert Irony Here =-.

Thanks, Karl! 🙂
    .-= Winter´s last blog ..Insert Irony Here =-.

3. Karl says:

Voted. Good luck, Winter.
    .-= Karl´s last blog ..I’ve Asked Before, I Know… =-.

4. Karl says:

Voted. Good luck, Winter.
    .-= Karl´s last blog ..I’ve Asked Before, I Know… =-.

This is an in house sub for me so it’s a lot less formal and certainly less time. Dee Carney seems to think taking it is a given since it’s pretty hot, but we shall see. Good luck with your sub! Would love to see you at Cobb!
    .-= Winter´s last blog ..Insert Irony Here =-.

.-= Winter´s last blog ..Insert Irony Here =-.

7. Cindy Jacks says:

Well said, Lex! Being a process and procedure person myself, I’d love to see more professional criteria added to book awards. And good luck with the Cobblestone submission. I’ve got a sub with them myself!

8. Cindy Jacks says:

Thank you, Tess. I know you see the same things I do.

Regina, I feel that way a lot of the time too. I never expect someone to vote for me if they have not read the book and liked it. Mostly, I try to see the nomination alone as the “win.” The popularity thing is for cheerleaders.
    .-= Winter´s last blog ..Insert Irony Here =-.

Thank you, Tess. I know you see the same things I do.

.-= Winter´s last blog ..Insert Irony Here =-.

11. Someone told me the other day that I was a Contest Agnostic. Think that’s fairly appropriate. Usually I have multiple friends nominated in every category of every contest and more likely than not I’ve not read any of the books. Therefore, I’ve simplified my life by not voting at all. The idea of these things as popularity contests makes my skin crawl and yes, I’ve been nominated before but never said a word. Didn’t win either. Thing is whether I win or not or am nominated or not doesn’t mean all that much to me in the grand scheme of things. Good rant, Lex. I think these contests are all just a bit to ‘quirky’ to mean a whole lot.
    .-= regina carlysle´s last blog ..Love is in the Air =-.

12. Someone told me the other day that I was a Contest Agnostic. Think that’s fairly appropriate. Usually I have multiple friends nominated in every category of every contest and more likely than not I’ve not read any of the books. Therefore, I’ve simplified my life by not voting at all. The idea of these things as popularity contests makes my skin crawl and yes, I’ve been nominated before but never said a word. Didn’t win either. Thing is whether I win or not or am nominated or not doesn’t mean all that much to me in the grand scheme of things. Good rant, Lex. I think these contests are all just a bit to ‘quirky’ to mean a whole lot.
    .-= regina carlysle´s last blog ..Love is in the Air =-.

13. Tess MacKall says:

I couldn’t agree with you more, Lex. The contest process in Romancelandia could use a major overhaul. Regardless, I’m going over to vote for you darlin’.

14. Tess MacKall says:

Thanks, Marty! It is an honor to be nominated, even if I hate the popularity contest part. 🙂
    .-= Winter´s last blog ..Insert Irony Here =-.

.-= Winter´s last blog ..Insert Irony Here =-.

I voted. Go Fire Season. Great honor to be up for a Best Of award.
    .-= martymankins´s last blog ..I’m Buzzed =-.

I voted. Go Fire Season. Great honor to be up for a Best Of award.
    .-= martymankins´s last blog ..I’m Buzzed =-.