The Numbers

I’m late, I know. I promised New Year’s Eve and it’s New Year’s morning. Still, I do have something for you to show you that my life is not all bloggy goodness. It’s a bunch of numbers. The numbers represent what I did as an author in the last year.

They are an interesting lot these numbers. They are the reason I often don’t blog more than once a week. They are the reason I sometimes have more money in my pocket. They are the reason I’m actually kinda sorta managing to send Motley (Nikki) to art college.

I’m going to post the link to a blog post that talks about the numbers. I’m not going to talk about them in quite the same way here in this post. The link I’m giving you really explains the numbers and talks a little about how much promotion I had to do to sell all the books I’ve sold, gives you an idea of the number of books I’ve sold, and talks a little about how much money I’ve made. It is an interesting post if you want see whether all the time I spent was worth it or if you’re interested in being an author yourself.

So here’s the post: A Year in the Life.

And here’s the numbers:

Bestsellers: 4

Publishers: 8

Radio Interviews: 3

Feature Author Spot: 1

Interviews: 13

Guest Blog Posts: 15

Two things happened after I posted this on the 30th.  On New Year’s Eve, I discovered that Christmas Catch hit All Romance eBooks’ main top ten bestseller list. It was the ninth biggest seller over the past three days.  Making that list is a big thing.  This morning, it’s moved up to number eight. Definitely WOOT worthy.

The other thing that happened hit me in a way that touched on every facet of who I am. Not just Lex Valentine the author but Winter the person.  One of the most respected review sites posted a list for 2009. Now, back in September they posted a list, compiled by recommendations from the readership of the site, of the all time best gay books. Fire Season was on it and I was stoked. The list posted yesterday was the owner’s own top ten best of 2009 list.

Now, Wave is well known in the reviewing community and in the GLBT writing world. It’s almost as if you’re golden if Wave likes your book. When Wave reviewed Fire Season earlier in the year, you could tell she really liked it. But then she posted her list yesterday and I discovered she REALLY LOVED Fire Season. My book was number nine on her list.

I got really excited seeing that. Then I looked at the list of her honorable mentions and this huge sense of awe came over me. Some of the best and biggest names in GLBT romance fiction were on that list of honorable mentions. And she liked Fire Season more.  I can’t remember when I’ve been more awestruck.  My little dragon book beat out Victor J. Banis,  Z.A. Maxfield,  James Buchanan, and my publisher Laura Baumbach? I could barely believe it.

As an author, my chest puffed out. Egads, what an accomplishment to close out the year! As a person, it brought tears to my eyes.  Recognition is important to all humans. I’ve not really received much recognition for anything in my life. After ten and a half years at my company I got the Employee of the Quarter award in December. One of my co-workers was amazed that I’ve never won this award before. In fact, she was shocked I’ve never won the Employee of the Year. Her shock actually meant a lot more to me than actually winning an award. It meant that someone recognized how much I do there. Then to make this top ten list… What a way to close out 2009.

Being recognized for what I do means a lot to me. It makes those numbers truly mean something. It acknowledges the sacrifices I’ve made.  It helps gives me a sense of worth. And even though I’m broke and in debt this New Year’s Day, I still feel a bit bright and sparkly from the recognition with my achievements sitting out there for the world to see and some of my longest held personal goals finally met.

It’s a new year and because of the recognition I’ve received, my outlook is more positive than it’s been in years. Instead of wondering how I’ll ever be able to match or top what I did in 2009, my thoughts flow along a positive line that hums with energy. How big can I dream? How much can I accomplish this year? And where the hell is my coffee? I need to get started!

Wishing you and yours a happy, productive, and prosperous New Year.

18 Responses to The Numbers

1. maryo says:

Told ya you rock. See I know what i am talking about everynow and than.

Have a great 2010!!!

2. maryo says:

Told ya you rock. See I know what i am talking about everynow and than.

Have a great 2010!!!

3. Lisa Griffin says:

We all need recognition, Lex. Writers especially, as we pour, blood, sweat and tears into our work. Glad you finally got yours. No one is more deserving.

2010 will be even better. It’s your time to shine. 🙂

Love ya!

4. Lisa Griffin says:

2010 will be even better. It’s your time to shine. 🙂

Love ya!

5. WTG Lex, your doing great!

Janice~

6. WTG Lex, your doing great!

Janice~

7. h says:

Sorry I’m late with the New Year greeting thing, but this was definitely worth reading. 🙂
    Go you!

p.s. Happy New Year and Ever After (‘cos I prefer the HEA)!

8. h says:

Go you!

p.s. Happy New Year and Ever After (‘cos I prefer the HEA)!

9. Dave2 says:

Congratulations! Wishing you every success and happiness in 2010!
    .-= Dave2´s last blog ..Retrospective =-.

10. Dave2 says:

Congratulations! Wishing you every success and happiness in 2010!
    .-= Dave2´s last blog ..Retrospective =-.

11. Margie says:

Congrats on the many, many accomplishments in 2009! I am sure 2010 will find you number 1 on those same list! Wishing you luck for continued success in the new year (not that you need it) CONGRATULATIONS LEX!!! *throwing confetti*
    Margie

12. Margie says:

Margie

13. You are really on a roll, my dear. Believe you’ll kick major butt this year.
    .-= regina carlysle´s last blog ..A Toast to the New Year =-.

14. You are really on a roll, my dear. Believe you’ll kick major butt this year.
    .-= regina carlysle´s last blog ..A Toast to the New Year =-.

Marty – Thanks for all your support. People like you make it possible for me to keep my burner lit. LOL I’m crossing my fingers for more writing from you this coming year!
    .-= Winter´s last blog ..The Numbers =-.

.-= Winter´s last blog ..The Numbers =-.

Here’s to more writing success to you in 2010. I read this post and the other one you linked to (which I left a comment on) and am just happy to see this for your first full year as a published author.
    .-= martymankins´s last blog ..Reactive Security =-.

.-= martymankins´s last blog ..Reactive Security =-.