Encore

I post this every year, but it still makes me tear up. At work, our company motto is that we serve from our hearts. For those in the military, I believe they serve with much more than that. As the daughter of a veteran from a war zone, my heartfelt thanks to all who serve my country.

In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

in-flanders-field-copy-of-original-signed-001

Happy Veteran’s Day. I’m off to work. Lots of flags flying and honoring of the dead. It will be a gorgeous day.

wintersig

18 Responses to Encore

1. Kathy K says:

Beautiful Lex… just beautiful.
    .-= Kathy K´s last blog ..A cautionary tale OR I should know better…. =-.

2. Kathy K says:

Beautiful Lex… just beautiful.
    .-= Kathy K´s last blog ..A cautionary tale OR I should know better…. =-.

3. Very nice post Lex. My father served in WWII too, as a Army medic.

Happy Veterans day.

Janice~

4. Very nice post Lex. My father served in WWII too, as a Army medic.

Happy Veterans day.

Janice~

5. Thanks, Lex, I’ve always loved that poem. I was just a little boy in WW II. My oldest brother died in Italy. The next oldest was a prisoner of war and MIA for a couple of years before being liberated by the Russians, who marched them through the snow toward Russia, through bombardment by Allied troops. He escaped with a couple of others and walked from Poland to Italy before he found American forces to help them. My oldest sister was the first person in France (worked the switchboard in Paris) to hear of the German surrender, and also had the distinction of chewing General Patton’s butt out. He apologized. Another sister in the WAACs, a brother in the Marines. Lots of family history.

Victor

6. Thanks, Lex, I’ve always loved that poem. I was just a little boy in WW II. My oldest brother died in Italy. The next oldest was a prisoner of war and MIA for a couple of years before being liberated by the Russians, who marched them through the snow toward Russia, through bombardment by Allied troops. He escaped with a couple of others and walked from Poland to Italy before he found American forces to help them. My oldest sister was the first person in France (worked the switchboard in Paris) to hear of the German surrender, and also had the distinction of chewing General Patton’s butt out. He apologized. Another sister in the WAACs, a brother in the Marines. Lots of family history.

Victor

7. CassieExline says:

Love this poem. Very touching. My dad was a Marine in the Korean War. My son is currently in the Air Guard. Thanks for sharing.

8. CassieExline says:

9. Jackie U says:

That’s beautiful!

10. Jackie U says:

That’s beautiful!

11. Thanks for posting this, Lex. My fiance served in the Navy back in the early 1990s (joined up just in time for Desert Storm to end before he saw active combat, though that wasn’t his intention), so today’s a little more personal to me than it’s been in the past.
    .-= Karenna Colcroft´s last blog ..Romance, Schmomance =-.

12. Thanks for posting this, Lex. My fiance served in the Navy back in the early 1990s (joined up just in time for Desert Storm to end before he saw active combat, though that wasn’t his intention), so today’s a little more personal to me than it’s been in the past.
    .-= Karenna Colcroft´s last blog ..Romance, Schmomance =-.

13. maryo says:

Thank you for the poem. I luv that one. We used to read it every veterans day at my hubbie’s old unit to honor those that have fallen. Now his unit here is a blah kind of one. No skin off my back, htey 3 hours away and dont affect me.
    Hope your sun is shining there. It cloudy here.

14. maryo says:

Hope your sun is shining there. It cloudy here.

15. Lovely sentiment Lex. So true. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your Pop and big thanks to all those who serve.

16. Lovely sentiment Lex. So true. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your Pop and big thanks to all those who serve.

17. Thank You for posting this.

18. Thank You for posting this.