Out of Pocket

Yep. I’m out of pocket today. Not at work. Instead, I’m home immersed in Ride the Lightning. Of course, the video for this story has been on my mind continuously for weeks. While I can use the title Ride the Lightning, I cannot use the music. (Although, Rott is of the opinion that I should and post it someplace that doesn’t police the music like You Tube does… just so Lars can be all pissy and sue us and so Rott can meet Lars and James. LOL)

At first, I wanted to use a song by Cavo from the Transformers soundtrack. But no, they are Warner artists. Then I thought about a song by Cold. Nope. Same problem. Eventually, I ended up with a song from the new Alice in Chains album. (They are with Virgin.) I ran a test on You Tube and it worked out fine. I took the vid down though cause it needs tweaking. (Motley: Mooooom! It’s tooooo faaaaaasst! I can’t read it!)

So all the dithering with music in the last week had me thinking of Marty and his Fuck You WMG post. I send authors and others who are interested in book trailers to read Marty’s words of wisdom. No reason for me to explain when he already did so, and very succinctly at that. As I see more and more book trailers popping up with popular songs and those little transparent footers that you can click off and the buy links that accompany the videos… I wonder if those bands are making more money because of the extra promo they get from us. I certainly hope they do!

I love reciprocity. I use their song to promo my book which in turn promos their music. I know of at least two blog posts that detail how the blogger found a new band to love from a book trailer featuring great music. One was a trailer of mine featuring the band The Divine Madness. Lady Victoria was kind enough to allow me to use their songs and I’m very happy she has new fans because of it. I know this topic is a hot button so I’m sure Marty will write about it again. I’ll be sure to pass his link around too. After all, I do love reciprocity!

Before I return to my out of pocket state, I need to post my requisite Marcus. Considering how much Hilly enjoyed the peen last week (if you were still here Hilly, we could go meet Julian in person – he’s in San Diego and invited me to come meet him), I thought about posting the nearly naked Marcus again. You know, the photo of him in wet see through swim trunks. Rawr. But alas, I’ve posted that photo way too much. So instead I bring you a very pretty photo of him hawking his new cologne and one of him doing something bad… smoking. Ugh. (Like I can complain… Rott smokes.)

marcus-schenkenberg-ef9e

marcus_schenkenberg_5248508

Hope you have a great Monday in or out of pocket!

wintersig

8 Responses to Out of Pocket

1. Kathy K says:

Lex I forget to check in here as often as I would like ’cause I always love your posts and I loved what Marty had to say about WMG… too many corporate offices get on their high horse and forget where the money they’re rolling in comes from.

There, I feel better.

BTW I really enjoy the trailers you do… and it’s amazing when I’m watching one and, I KNEW it, it’s one of yours. Really cool! And you write really, REALLY good stories. Talented much? *grin*
    .-= Kathy K´s last blog ..Pure Sex by D.J. Manly =-.

2. Kathy K says:

There, I feel better.

.-= Kathy K´s last blog ..Pure Sex by D.J. Manly =-.

Thank you for the link to the post I did and for sharing it with others. I really want people to have that heads up or if they’ve been audio stripped, to know that there are some options.

So far, Vimeo hasn’t been raping people’s videos.

For your Ride The Lightning book promo video, you could host it here via Quicktime, which is what I’ve done with my Scooter Sunday videos over on my blog.

If you still want to use the song for the promo video, let me know and I’ll be more than happy to help for posting on your blog.

Now I need to go check out this video, as the new Alice In Chains has been growing on me since it came out.
    .-= martymankins´s last blog ..iPhone Monopoly =-.

So far, Vimeo hasn’t been raping people’s videos.

.-= martymankins´s last blog ..iPhone Monopoly =-.

5. maryo says:

Why would a artist complain? Free publicity is better than none in my opinion.

6. maryo says:

Why would a artist complain? Free publicity is better than none in my opinion.

7. I like Lars. Haven’t met James, but I always found Lars was quite entertaining in person.
    .-= Susan Helene Gottfried´s last blog ..Roadie Poet: Bump in the Night =-.

8. I like Lars. Haven’t met James, but I always found Lars was quite entertaining in person.
    .-= Susan Helene Gottfried´s last blog ..Roadie Poet: Bump in the Night =-.