Worst Weekend Ever

You know how you can have high hopes and everything is gorgeous and wonderful and suddenly… it’s just all gone? Yeah. Welcome to my fucking life.

My father was a veteran of WWII. In a war zone. This isn’t about the Pacific or even WWII, but I love the sentiment. Marcus will back next week. Even he doesn’t make me happy today.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Hopefully, you spent a few moments today honoring those who fought for the freedoms we take so much for granted. Really, don’t take anything for granted. The smallest thing can upset the apple cart of your life and take away that which you love most.  At least, no one can take your memories.

Hug your family today.  If you don’t feel like it, do it anyway. For me, ‘kay?

wintersig

16 Responses to Worst Weekend Ever

Thanks everyone. Things are day to day at the moment. Not sure what will happen. I do know that if anyone knows how I feel, it’s prolly Hilly. But I appreciate all of you coming by and leaving me the warm fuzzies. It helps. Really it does.

Winters last blog post..Worst Weekend Ever

Winters last blog post..Worst Weekend Ever

Sorry to hear how things are for you. Really hoping for better times for you.

martymankinss last blog post..Sanctimoniously Speaking

Sorry to hear how things are for you. Really hoping for better times for you.

martymankinss last blog post..Sanctimoniously Speaking

5. H says:

It is Anzac Day that does it for us down here – and it is something that hits me every time.

I worry that the young adults of today (and the children), just see it as a day off (25th April, if it falls on a week day), rather than as a remembrance of personal sacrifice, heroism and tragedy.
    The RSA give out paper poppies for donations, dawn services are held at a War Memorials across the country and we (should) remember.

Hope things are getting better for you.
    *hugs*

6. H says:

Hope things are getting better for you.
    *hugs*

7. Wishing you the best of luck.

Side note: really like your blog. : )

Jeve (aka John and Steve)s last blog post..May’s Gay Daddy of the Month

8. Wishing you the best of luck.

Side note: really like your blog. : )

Jeve (aka John and Steve)s last blog post..May’s Gay Daddy of the Month

9. I have looked at those places where war seems to never end and wondered how anyone who lives here could hate it. There are places I would love to visit or even stay but the states is home.

But hugs hoping you day/week gets better

Saroya Poiriers last blog post..The Phone Call

10. I have looked at those places where war seems to never end and wondered how anyone who lives here could hate it. There are places I would love to visit or even stay but the states is home.

But hugs hoping you day/week gets better

Saroya Poiriers last blog post..The Phone Call

11. Hilly says:

God, I am so so sorry that things are not working out in the best way possible like you had hoped. Big hugs.

12. Hilly says:

13. marot says:

Being a veteran I agree with you. You never know what you have until you go to a country where they had been figthing in the streets only 2 years before. Amazing what a few big ass hole’s in buildings will do to a person.

marots last blog post..SSSoooo tired

14. marot says:

marots last blog post..SSSoooo tired

15. Mary says:

*HUGS*

Will do. Hope things look better for you this coming week.

Marys last blog post..A Tale of Two Royalty Checks

16. Mary says:

*HUGS*

Will do. Hope things look better for you this coming week.

Marys last blog post..A Tale of Two Royalty Checks