Sharing

I have this urge to share. No, not the sore throat that I’m starting to come down with (damned Twitter plague!), but something else! Remember my Princess and the Pea story? I thought about twisting that into a short story because it always makes people laugh. Then someone said something that gave me the idea to take some of my favorite Bar characters and tweak them to use in other vehicles. Somehow, when I was napping over the weekend, these two ideas got mashed together, giving me Max LeFevre (Max Fever) the underwear model and his best friend, the ex-girlfriend of a rock star, Alexa Harte.

Max is long haired and golden, a fun guy with a laid back attitude. Alexa is petite, big breasted, and sharper than a stiletto. They’re an amusing pair even though they aren’t having sex. The story is all about Max’s search for a mattress. He needs a new mattress because it seems he’s inherited a title and some huge golden wings that he has to keep hidden. Between the royalty factor kicking in and the hidden wings, Max is having trouble with his bed.

So the story opens with Max and Alexa searching for a mattress…

The mattress looked deep and thick and soft. Even the pillow top part looked really thick and poofy. Max LeFevre eyed it skeptically which ignited a mini firestorm in his companion.

“Oh, c’mon, Max. For the love of…” Max’s best friend Alexa Harte broke off on a frustrated sigh. “We’ve been looking at mattresses all day. My feet hurt. Can’t you just pick one and be done with it? Why the hell does it have to be just right?”

One blonde brow arched up at Alexa. “Do I look like Goldilocks to you?” he murmured, carefully lying on the mattress.

Alexa sat down on the next mattress over and pulled off her high heel, rubbing her tiny foot vigorously. “No, you’re the fucking Princess and the Pea,” she grumbled.

Max chuckled. “That is more true than you know.”

He wriggled around on the mattress, trying to get comfortable. The mattress was great as long as he was lying on his side. It was lying on his back that was the problem. Every mattress he tried wasn’t good enough. They’d been to three stores already. This one was the fourth. He’d tried every mattress in each of the stores, searching for the one mattress that would let him lie on his back.

“That is a wonderful mattress, sir!” a salesman exclaimed enthusiastically as he walked up to them.

Frowning fiercely, Alexa slammed her high heel on and stood up. She straightened her spine, bringing herself up to her full five foot one height. “You can leave. We don’t need a salesman. He’s just gonna try every mattress in this store and if he finds one that he wants, we’ll come find you so you can have the sale.” She stared defiantly at the salesman, almost daring him to try his sales pitch on them.

Wisely backing down, the salesman threw up his hands. “Sure, lady. No need to go all pitbull on me. I’m Charlie. If he wants to buy a mattress, I’ll be over there.” He gestured vaguely to another part of the store and then took off in that direction.

Max rolled onto his side feeling much more comfortable the moment he did. He propped his head up with one hand, his long blonde hair flowing over his shoulder and down onto the mattress. “Pitbull. Hmmmn. You know, that’s a pretty good nickname for you, Alexa.” His turquoise eyes gleamed up at her mischievously.

She sat back down on the mattress and pulled off her shoe again. “You ever call me that and I’ll deck you, pretty boy,” she muttered.

There’s some other stuff that happens in the mattress store, but the two of them end up at a fancy restaurant for lunch, one of their usual hangouts. Their usual waiter, Marty, seems to think he can help Max find a mattress that would suit him…

Marty started scribbling on a pad. “What did you buy?”

Alexa made a rude noise. “Nothing. The Prince here couldn’t find a mattress to suit him.”

Marty looked at Max in surprise. “You were shopping for a mattress? Aren’t they all kinda the same?”

Max sighed. No one understood his dilemma. “No. They aren’t all the same. I need something softer than the usual mattress. I just can’t seem to find anything that will work.”

Marty looked thoughtful for a moment then he said, “Lemme think about that while I turn in your order.”

The expression on Alexa’s face was priceless. Max’s lips quirked up. When Marty was out of earshot they both started laughing. “That would be the weirdest thing ever, Maxie. Our waiter solving your sleep issue,” Alexa wheezed, as she tried to stop laughing.

Taking a deep breath to push the laughter down, Max shook his head and reached for his drink. “I don’t care who solves it as long as it gets solved.”

“I just don’t get why it’s so important.” Alexa rubbed her finger around the rim of the glass.

Max wasn’t about to explain it to her in a public place so he made light of the situation. “It’s important because I never get to be on the bottom.”

Alexa choked on her drink. “Max, you’re not even seeing anyone.”

He gave her an arch look. “If I meet someone today, I don’t get to be on the bottom.”

She rolled her eyes and groaned. “You’re incorrigible,” she muttered.

Since I’m having trouble getting around to all your blogs to comment (I am reading you in my feedreader, I promise!) and I’ve been having trouble posting my usual banter here, I just thought I share what’s keeping me from you.

Have an awesome Tuesday and don’t let the Twitter plague get ya!

0 Responses to Sharing

Jason – Thanks so much! I’m cringing re your work hours! I saw your twats about actually having to work. LOL When I worked in non-profit I was salary and during audit time… I worked those kinds of hours including the entire week between Christmas and New Year’s when the rest of the staff was off. It sucked majorly. In some ways going back to being hourly has it’s advantages even though since I’m IT now, I get calls on the weekends and after I’ve gone home, but I just get on the server from home and fix the problem. Usually I’m done in a few mins.

Winters last blog post..Sharing

Winters last blog post..Sharing

3. Jason X says:

Hey, good to know what’s keeping you busy these days. You’re writing is great, keep it up. I know what you mean about the time crunch. I’ve been slammed at work lately, getting out around 8:00 or 9:00. It really stinks. Something has to be done about it. But it keeps me from doing the things I want to do, including surfing and commenting. But keep up the good work. Above all, you have to make time for your writing.

Jason Xs last blog post..Hi Ho, Hi Ho

4. Jason X says:

Jason Xs last blog post..Hi Ho, Hi Ho

Jen – You’re the best cheerleader ever! I should be writing the Bar tonight, but Max Fever wants out, and you know how these demanding men are. 😉

Winters last blog post..Sharing

Winters last blog post..Sharing

7. I LOVE this!!! What an awesome idea! I love your stuff.

8. I LOVE this!!! What an awesome idea! I love your stuff.

Mary – It’s just a brighter version of Lex and Matt, whom we already knew we’d hang with! 😉 And camping with a bunch of kids? Oh, man. I said this to Susan back when she did it, but I’ll say it again… anyone who does this is a brave, brave woman.

Winters last blog post..Sharing

Winters last blog post..Sharing

11. Maryo says:

Not a bad start. Sounds like the kind of folks would hang with.
    Well that explains why everyone including myself now are getting sick here. Shit I dont wanna get sick. I cant afford to get sick. I have to go camping with my girl scout troop this weekend….wait a minute. Sick or camping with a bunch of 7 to 12 year olds???? THis one is a toughy.

12. Maryo says:

Not a bad start. Sounds like the kind of folks would hang with.

Matt – I suppose it’s no coincidence that a slightly different version of these characters live at the Bar where Max’s name is MATT. Matt must be a name that is synonymous with incorrigible! 😉

Winters last blog post..Sharing

Winters last blog post..Sharing

15. Matt-Man says:

Ha. I love the word, “incorrigible”. Sorry to hear about your sore throat. They are so damn annoying. Cheers Winter!!

Matt-Mans last blog post..Kiss Me, Suck Me, Bail Me Out

16. Matt-Man says:

Matt-Mans last blog post..Kiss Me, Suck Me, Bail Me Out

Marty – I will admit I named the smart alecky waiter after you. Marty is a cool guy with some interesting friends. And he does find Max a mattress sort of… and some tail with it! 😉

Winters last blog post..Round Two

Winters last blog post..Round Two

I love the story, regardless that the smart waiter (as opposed to a dumb waiter) is named Marty.

Oh, and Alexa is petite with bit tits…. that’s always fun to read.

martymankinss last blog post..Scooter Sunday #23

Oh, and Alexa is petite with bit tits…. that’s always fun to read.

martymankinss last blog post..Scooter Sunday #23

Suvvy – I love the fun stories. This one does get a little deeper, but Max is an upbeat guy so I can’t ever put him in a seriously dark story.

Winters last blog post..Round Two

Winters last blog post..Round Two

23. SuvvyGirl says:

Sounds good to me so far. It’s intruiging, simple and fun. I like it!!

SuvvyGirls last blog post..

24. SuvvyGirl says:

Sounds good to me so far. It’s intruiging, simple and fun. I like it!!

SuvvyGirls last blog post..

Tempest – I envisioned them in one of those big stores with expensive beds, the big plate glass windows, fancy bedroom setups in the display windows… They do have an entourage of Max Fever’s fans who’ve been gathering since they recognized him. Alexa deals with them though! LOL

Mojo – You’re welcome re the peppers. I’m not a fan of em but Rott is. Careful with Mach 2 and firey hair. You don’t wanna hurt something you might need to use later! 😉

Winters last blog post..Round Two

Winters last blog post..Round Two

27. Mojo says:

I need to get back and read this when I’m not doing Mach 2 with my hair on fire. just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the pepper info.

Mojos last blog post..Wordless Wednesday (Tuesday Edition): Alternative Energy

28. Mojo says:

Mojos last blog post..Wordless Wednesday (Tuesday Edition): Alternative Energy

29. OMG! *rofl* I can see them at Sears testing mattresses. Hehehe!

30. OMG! *rofl* I can see them at Sears testing mattresses. Hehehe!

Nat – They do kinda hook you, don’t they? At the Bar, they’re my favorite character Lex Valentine (whose name I stole) and her friend Matt Havens, the pixie prince. I think they’re just a little bolder and brighter here. At the Bar, they’re more angsty.

Susan – The bed ends up being one of those memory foam ones and it belongs to a woman… and well, let’s just say that Max gets to be on the bottom. 😉

Blu – You’re so totally sweet!! It would probably weigh a ton and cost a fortune to send. But I sincerely appreciate the offer. MUAH!

Winters last blog post..Round Two

Winters last blog post..Round Two

33. Blu-Amy says:

Now I have memories of sleeping in my grand parents bed when I was little. They had two mattresses pressed together and I always ended up wiggling just enough during the night to push them apart and sleeping in between the mattresses on the box spring.

Happened every damn time.

Hey Winter.. I can mail you a frozen homemade pie if you want 🙂

Blu-Amys last blog post..I hate housework

34. Blu-Amy says:

Happened every damn time.

Hey Winter.. I can mail you a frozen homemade pie if you want 🙂

Blu-Amys last blog post..I hate housework

35. He needs a sleep number bed!

Funny that you’re writing about beds… I was, too, yesterday.

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..100 Words: Yearning

36. He needs a sleep number bed!

Funny that you’re writing about beds… I was, too, yesterday.

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..100 Words: Yearning