I Is Not Down

I’m not up, but I’m not down. No, I’m not really being cryptic. I’m explaining my mood, because I *ahem* got a rejection letter. You can read all about the letter over at Lex’s website. I went into detail about the letter itself and some stuff about online versus real. The only thing I can really think of to say about people who still think like that is… Hello! Technology! Get a clue that life changes, especially in how we communicate with others. It’s 2008, almost 2009, and 1992 is a looooooong way in the past.

So anywho, I’m not in an upbeat mood per se, but I’m not depressed about the rejection either. I’ve been in a funk somewhat this week, but it’s not writing related. Although, maybe I should be more in a funk about that because then I wouldn’t be so damned achy missing Rott.

Here’s what’s happened this week: I won two writing contests at WritersCafe.org, where no one knows me but Elfenkate. At Zanctuary, where they all know me, I lost the writing contest to my friend Jen of the ample bosom. I learned to make videos with Windows Movie Maker. I actually made 2 movies! Woo hooo! The SIM card on my phone died and scared the crap outta me. (I thought it was my new Dash phone until it finally threw an error message that told me the card was bad.) I got a photo in a text from my friend in Houston, showing me the front of his house, all ready for Ike. And I got into some aggravating stuff at the horse racing sim that kept me from writing. I’m so broke I’m in the hole and trying to figure out how to find the $100 that I need to make rent. I’ve been missing Rott to the point of tears since Wednesday night (a 9/11 thing I think). My birthday is drawing near and I think I’ve decided to cancel getting a year older since the only party that might come close to being a birthday celebration will be in Orlando, but I won’t. I forgot to order coffee creamer with my grocery order. I lost the spiked end of one of my gauged earrings and had to change out almost all of my piercings (no mean feat cause the little balls are… um, little.) And then this morning the rejection letter. So, I’m not happy happy joy joy.

Yet, inexplicably, I am not depressed. Freaking Galveston is destroyed! I’m blinking at CNN, and am glad I don’t live there. I’m ogling that cute Rob Marciano who, oddly, looks a thousand times more attractive with a day’s growth of beard on his face. I’m looking out my window at the overcast sky and thanking whatever scientific thing that causes weather for slightly cooler temps here. (Of course, it could be that my 3 neighbors have finally stopped using their dryers. I live over the garages. All 3 neighbors do laundry every day so the garages are like a steam bath because the dryers don’t vent OUTSIDE.) Still, not depressed in the least.

I’m gonna catch up on blogs this weekend. I hit that kinda blah patch last week, mostly due to the sim aggravation, and just couldn’t read a thing. Well, except for a short story about a werewolf girl who finds her mate and ends up handcuffed to a bed. HEH. Written by the lady who created the Lex Valentine site for me. Hot reading. I think it was the high point of my week.

I’ll be around to visit all of yas. I need to find out what else has been going on in the PRB that I’ve missed. Congrats to my friend Jen for winning the Z contest. Congrats to Vahid and Hellohahanarf for winning the RAP award. Congrats to Dave on his commando vacay. (Per Gooster, Dave is officially the Commando in Chief for Commando Fridays.) Congrats to the author Jen for finishing her edits. Oh, yeah. Yay me! I did win two contests and learn to make a video (sorta – if you look for lexvalentineauthor at You Tube you’ll find them).

I know just what will complete my week… anyone want a kitten?

Luvs yas!

0 Responses to I Is Not Down

Elfenkate – There’s something kinda coolish about winning a contest where no one knows you. It’s really a testament to your work when that happens. So far, I’m liking the site. People seem to like my stuff. It’s a good ego stroke! As for the rejection letter, as Jen said, I guess now that I’ve gotten one I can get pubbed! LOL

3. elfenkate says:

Congratulations on the contest win!
    I’m so glad you are enjoying the site.

It’s great how you are able to see the positive side to the letter. Go you! 🙂

elfenkates last blog post..Upcoming Band Shows

4. elfenkate says:

Congratulations on the contest win!
    I’m so glad you are enjoying the site.

It’s great how you are able to see the positive side to the letter. Go you! 🙂

elfenkates last blog post..Upcoming Band Shows

Blu – That’s true. They could have read my query letter with the synopsis and sent me a rejection without even asking for the manuscript. I’m not taking any of this in a negative way. Even a rejection can be a positive thing.

7. Blu-Amy says:

At least you were read, Someone read it to have to been able to send out the letter ( even if it does sting):)

Blu-Amys last blog post..is it 92 degrees or 29?

8. Blu-Amy says:

Blu-Amys last blog post..is it 92 degrees or 29?

Jen – Yeah, I know. It’s like a badge of honor right? My key to the executive washroom… Well, maybe more like a burr under my saddle. LOL It did serve to sharpen my focus, which in turn had me working until 2 am, Twitter off, no blog reading. *sigh* I’m a slave driver.

Winters last blog post..I Is Not Down

11. Well, congratulations. Rejection means you’re one step closer to publication!!! Anyone who has ever been published got rejected. LOL.
    Hang in there.

12. Well, congratulations. Rejection means you’re one step closer to publication!!! Anyone who has ever been published got rejected. LOL.
    Hang in there.

Marty – Thanks for the encouragement! I have a feeling this rejection was for a reason in the karmic sense so I’m not down at all. I decided to use my past instead of letting it control me, and yesterday I added about 1K words to that story. Today, it will probably get at least a thousand more. The hero’s voice was left out until the end and I decided he needed to be heard. So, I’ll tweak this and send it to someone else!

Winters last blog post..I Is Not Down

I know I already mentioned it on Twitter, but sorry to hear. But there will be other ops for you. I know when I was published some years back, there was hardly anything online… it was all in print, with most of the print just copied to the web for those publications that had a web presence. Rejection letters came regularly, but I also sent out a ton of requests. Most of what I did was product reviews, but I was submitting some technical pieces that grabbed some, but fell of deaf ears for most.

I look forward to your writings.

martymankinss last blog post..Scooter Sunday #22

I look forward to your writings.

martymankinss last blog post..Scooter Sunday #22

Hello – Well, shipping a kitten to PA might be a little prohibitive anyway. I’ll email you on the werewolf girl. Thanks for being so supportive!

Winters last blog post..I Is Not Down

19. i am proud of you for not getting depressed even when all kinds of things hit ya at once.

me thinks i might wanna read about the werewolf girl!

my dogs outnumber me here in our house and they have vetoed the kitten. sorry.

hello haha narfs last blog post..Holy Shit, That Was Me! Wait. What? Why??!?!!!

20. i am proud of you for not getting depressed even when all kinds of things hit ya at once.

me thinks i might wanna read about the werewolf girl!

my dogs outnumber me here in our house and they have vetoed the kitten. sorry.

hello haha narfs last blog post..Holy Shit, That Was Me! Wait. What? Why??!?!!!

Nat – Thanks! Sometimes there’s just only so much you can process, isn’t there? *hugs back*

23. Nat says:

Know the feeling… much going on. Just not feeling it so much.

Hugs.

Nats last blog post..I never see the sudden curve…

24. Nat says:

Know the feeling… much going on. Just not feeling it so much.

Hugs.

Nats last blog post..I never see the sudden curve…

Jason – Now I am intrigued as to those qualifications. Hmmmn. At any rate, you should take a look at the specifics I mentioned on the Lex blog. I’m sure she’s fine at choosing for her publisher. However, I do feel she showed me a vulnerability or two in her rejection letter. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Perhaps I should be soliciting you for critiques, eh?

Winters last blog post..TeeVee Eye Candy

Winters last blog post..TeeVee Eye Candy

27. Jason X says:

Good for you. To be a writer you have to love rejection. Just the nature of our craft. It sucks, but it happens all the time, even with your best work. Quality and talent are not the only factors in the decision making process. And, well also, you have people making decisions who are not qualified to recognize quality and talent. My point is, rejection is not a reflection on your talent. In some cases with some people, maybe, but not with you. I’ve read your stuff and you’re extremely talented (and I happen to be qualified to make that call). Keep it up. Glad you’re not down. No reason to be.

Jason Xs last blog post..Tequila and Lucia