Late

First of all, let me thank Hilly for letting me guest post at her site yesterday. It was a lot of fun and the Cupcake Girls photo amused me all day! Also, I found Certifiable Princess’ comment so funny I had to check out her blog. And I totally laughed my ass off. She’s a lot like my bitch Mary, so I put her in my feedreader and on my blog roll.

It’s Monday and I feel short on time. I’m sitting here in my towel trying to put together a Marcus Monday post for you and I’m running late. It’s been unbearably hot in my house. I’m not sleeping well. In fact, I’m all out of sorts this morning because I didn’t hear the alarm when it went off at 6. I heard it when it went off again at 6:15, which totally threw me into one of those “moods”. I don’t sleep very soundly so I usually am awake by the time the alarm goes off. I went to sleep so late, and slept so poorly that when I did hit the zone, it was early morning and I missed the alarm by 15 minutes. Have I said I hate being late?

Now, I feel off kilter. I dislike that too. I’m sure I won’t stop feeling panicked until I’m at my desk at the office sucking down Starbucks Caffe Verona. Thank god for a nice dark blend of coffee. At any rate, I don’t remember what I was gonna talk about this morning or which picture I was going to use. Maybe I was gonna tell you all how Jen the Redneck Romance Writer has been encouraging me lately. The woman is amazing. She’s a great cheerleader. She got me to sign up for this Yahoo group of authors from Liquid Silver Books. They were tossing out hot book excerpts most of Sunday.

For some reason, this was like a burr under my saddle. All day, I kept thinking, I can do that! So I went to Liquid Silver and looked at their submission guidelines, and pulled out that freaky dream I had that ended with little red monsters… and I started working it into a piece for their Quick Silver line. The hero has a pussy sounding name, but the heroine’s name is… Jen. HEH.

Oh, yeah. I remembered what I was gonna write about! All those excerpts were from published or about to be published authors. Then there were two excerpts that shocked me to the core. The woman who posted them acted like she was just like any of the other authors there. However, the quality of the excerpts was so far below the others that I think I threw up a little in my mouth.

The writing had bad grammar. It had bad punctuation. It had no capital letters. The excerpt was written badly too. I kept thinking to myself, “rough draft” just to give the writer the benefit of the doubt. Then I checked out her website (not a real website but one of those popular places where you have friends and post stuff) and found a post of hers where she said she’d submitted this work to a bunch of publishers and one was interested. Now, I really had to go rinse my mouth out.

To say I was shocked is pretty mild. I mean, we have Bar writers who write in the same unpolished style as this woman, but at least they know when to use a capital letter! I think I got a little pissed. How could a publisher be interested in something that was so poorly put together that I had difficulty following it? It read like someone was on the phone gossiping to a girlfriend!

In the end, I just figured that the woman was blithely spinning along acting as if she was one of the authors in the group, when she wasn’t yet published, and that everyone was sort of ignoring her and her bad writing to be polite. I mean, I hadn’t seen anyone reply to her the way they had to the published authors. So I ended up feeling sorry for her. I wouldn’t have had the balls to post an excerpt from the Bar in a group where the excerpts were supposed to come from published authors. Some people are just oblivious, I guess. It just ended up being a surreal thing.

Anyhoo, here’s a Marcus to enliven your Monday if you’re female or gay. You straight guys may have to wait until Wednesday for some heat. I think I have a naked Keeley Hazell in my photo collection for you. Hmmmn.

Oh, yeah. In anticipation of me getting my shit together with this writing thing, I updated winterheart.com to look more like an author site. *sigh* Yeah, I’m gonna do this. How can I not with such great cheerleaders as the Bar writers, Susan from West of Mars, and Jen in my corner?

Have a great Monday!

0 Responses to Late

Marty – Thanks! I kinda figured it might be some wishful thinking on her part. Also, you all are so very supportive now! I can’t imagine how you could be any more supportive.

Winters last blog post..Trippin’

Winters last blog post..Trippin’

I know publishers are pretty picky about what they accept. It sounds like maybe this person was stretching things a bit. Having been published before and knowing some of the hoops you have to go through to get your work noticed out there, it’s a challenge and not something you can just put anything out there. Although I admit that I’ve seen my fair share of “WTF” printed works that made it past an editor’s desk.

You will have to let us know when you get published so we can all go out and support you.

martymankinss last blog post..Scooter Sunday #19 – The Monday Edition

martymankinss last blog post..Scooter Sunday #19 – The Monday Edition

Mojo – You’re always so flattering! I love it! 😉

Shiny – You get sneak peaks all along the way, so you’ll have it all read before anyone else does.

Matt – There is a difference between strategic bad grammar and someone who can’t write. You can write and you use the bad grammar as a comedic tool. And you do it very well too!

Winters last blog post..Late

Mojo – You’re always so flattering! I love it! 😉

Winters last blog post..Late

7. Matt-Man says:

Good luck getting back on kilter. And what’s wrong with bad grammar? I live by it. Cheers!!

Matt-Mans last blog post..It’s Party Time in America, Again

8. Matt-Man says:

Matt-Mans last blog post..It’s Party Time in America, Again

9. Shiny Bitch says:

Getting up late automatically makes for a bad day right off the bat. In my book anyways.
    Have I mentioned to you how excited I am that you’re gonna try and publish your work? I’m pulling for ya, 100% of the way!

10. Shiny Bitch says:

11. mojo says:

Winter darling, you could never disappoint. We don’t have to wait for Wednesday, we can get our daily dose of heat seven days a week just gazing at your profile photo dear.

That’s so much for stopping by earlier. I’t always a pleasure.
    – Mojo

12. mojo says:

That’s so much for stopping by earlier. I’t always a pleasure.
    – Mojo

Blu – You are so sweet! You only have to buy one, but pimping is much appreciated!

Susan – You’d think with this many people telling me I can do this, that I would have done it already. Oh, and as for the ass grabbing, it’s probably that hot Scottish writer from the Bar. Twisted is very sexy!

Mary – Who looks at the rules when they’re drunk?

Winters last blog post..Late

Mary – Who looks at the rules when they’re drunk?

Winters last blog post..Late

15. Maryo says:

I am glad that you are gettin it together. I have always thought you out of any of us could get something put out there. All we need is one of us to start the revolution. Viva Diva’s!!!
    We can spread the hotties to everyone!! Naked Dragon Rides for all!! Well there is a weight and hottie limit. Maybe we should start writing out these rules now.

16. Maryo says:

17. Whoa. Busy corner! Is that Marcus in here, too, with his hand on my rump, or is that you?

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Susan’s Inside Writing: How I Met My…

18. Whoa. Busy corner! Is that Marcus in here, too, with his hand on my rump, or is that you?

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Susan’s Inside Writing: How I Met My…

19. Amy-Blu says: