Fry Daddy!

So yesterday I was grilled. Today, I have fired up the FryDaddy since I’m a little tired of BBQ.

My sizzling victim is Kevin of Always Home & Uncool. Kevin’s blog says that he is a work at home, Gen X dad who is rockin’ the ‘burbs. The cast of characters on his blog include My Love (his wife the executive), Thing 1 (his Hannah Montana wanna be daughter) and Thing 2 (his sweet and sour son), and Murphy’s Happy Recap (his faithful canine companion). Okay, I stole the words from his profile , but really, Kevin tells his story much better than I could.

I dug into his archives a little to prepare for the questions. I didn’t have to dig far to recognize that Kevin is not your average suburban dad. He’s just really not average at all. The man is sharp as a tack and more amusing than a lot of the humor bloggers out there.

As some people *cough* Nicholas *cough* know, I’m not a fan of fluffy blogs and blog posts. Some of the stay at home dad blogs I’ve seen are just as fluffy as the mommy bloggers who squee over Oprah and Rachael Ray. I cringed when I drew Kevin in the lotto that is Neil’s Great Interview Experiment. My cringing was for naught as you will see.

Without further BS on my part, here’s the interview, with my comments below each of Kevin’s responses.

1. Why did you decide to name your kids (on your blog) after characters from Dr. Seuss?

I’ve read “The Cat and the Hat” a few zillions times to my kids over the years and it just stuck in my head. They are at the age when playing and having fun are all that matter, and that’s a good place to be in life.

BTW, I’ve called them many other things in real life. But in the end, Fric and Frac was too easy; Harold and Maude, too weird.

Hmmn. I used to call Motley the PITA. Too easy and too weird in one fell swoop. Too bad it was also very true at times. HEH.

2. Do you think it’s hard to be a “Daddy Blogger” in a “Mommy Blogger” world?

I don’t like compartmentalizing us into Dads or Moms. We’re all parents. We have a common enemy. Unite, Servants to the Sippy Kid Crowd!

But honestly, it’s like being an ice cube in a sea of hot tea. I mean, how can I compete with the raw sexuality and rawer language offered up by the Oprah-fueled masses?

I’d never realized that the sippy cup crowd cursed and had raw sexuality. If that’s the case why didn’t they rip Karl’s clothes off of him this year at BlogHer? Maybe the raw sexuality is same sex in nature… after all, sex with another woman is a dangerous thing in a stay at home mom world, isn’t it? (Don’t shoot me for the cliche!)

3. C’mon… you can tell us… is My Love really the main bread winner in your family, or are you secretly the inventor of the Samurai Shark (or some other item that Billy Mays hawks on the tube)?

My father co-wrote the lyrics to “Tie a Yellow Ribbon Around the Ole Oak Tree.” I live comfortably off the royalties. Tip of the hat to both Bush administrations!

Ahhh. Gotta love a man who can bash two Bushes with one shot!

4. Why do the new friends to your blog only have nachos and mozzarella sticks to choose from? Shouldn’t there be a nutritious choice like zucchini sticks?

If you insist, I can nuke some spinach nuggets in a pinch. You like Cheez Whiz on yours?

Meh. I’ll pass on spinach nuggets and Cheez Whiz. I’m more of a hot wing kinda girl.

5. This is a twofer: What made you start blogging and how did you decide to become a humor blogger? (Don’t say it’s cause you think Diesel is funny either. That’s a cop out answer, even if it’s true that he is funny. Heh heh.)

My credit card was canceled because of delinquent charges for too many, um, online services, so I needed to find something else to get my creative juices flowing between freelance gigs. I did corporate communications for a very conservative Fortune 500 company for almost 10 years, so I needed a lot of practice to relearn how to write something besides “ours is a culture of continuous improvement and, by managing talent effectively and exceeding the expectations we set for our customers, we can increase EBITA by adding value for our stakeholders through cause marketing that redirects discretionary spending as we bounce along the bottom of this down cycle.”

I became a humor blogger because I have no real insight or wisdom to provide anyone on anything in particular. Kinda like Dr. Phil.

I work in Accounting. I know EBITA and EBITDA. (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization) I like a man who can work that into a sentence.

6. What’s your favorite beer and why?

What is this – “Sophie’s Choice”? It all depends on the situation, the place, my mood, the company, etc. For sheer beer pleasure, Young’s Double Chocolate Stout is incredible. It’s a beer. It’s a dessert. It’s a floor wax. For everyday quaffing, I like to pick up the Saranac Trail Mix 12-pack so I can choose one to suit the situation. Yuengling makes a great beach beer. Most of the Red Hook beers — ESB, Pale Ale, IPA — are excellent. Sam Adams’ products are uniformly fine, except for the bizarre cranberry beer they push at the holidays. They briefly made a Hazelnut Brown Ale in the late ’90s that I thought was really special. God … I’m welling with nostalgia …

I’m sitting here stacking up Kevin’s choices against Rott’s Beer Fridge... Two thumbs up on the Young’s Stout. Red Hook ESB isn’t bad. Rott agrees with the Sam pronouncement… and wonders why Kevin hasn’t tried Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, which only comes out in the winter?

7. If Thing 1, Thing 2 and My Love all went on a trip somewhere for 5 days, leaving you alone to take a solo mini-vacay, where would you go and what would you do?

Depends on the time of the year. Spring, I’d go to Florida and do the spring training baseball circuit. Summer, I’d take a tour of Major League Baseball stadiums. Autumn — me and the dog would go hiking the New England hills. Wintertime … I’d fly to London and visit all the pubs serving Real Ale that I could.

Not being a fan of baseball or hiking, I applaud the booze hound in Kevin and concur that a trip to London to drink ale would be awesome!

8. What mainstream movie do find incredibly arousing?

“The Princess Diaries 2.” Anne Hathaway’s eyebrows send tingles to all the good parts.

I like her boobs better.

9. What’s your favorite music/songs to play during sex or a romantic evening?

“(I Wanna Be Your) Alpha Male” by Steve Burns to send the proper signals (it’s all in the “boom-shucka-lucka). “Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)” by The Offspring for the bump ‘n’ grind. “Godzilla” by Blue Oyster Cult for the cuddling afterward. Also, you can never go wrong with the entire “Liquored Up & Lacquered Down” CD by Southern Culture on the Skids.

Anyone who likes BOC and the Offspring is A-OK by me!

10. I like to retell my dreams on my blog if they are either especially vivid or about other bloggers. Tell me your most interesting blog-related fantasy, daydream or real dream/nightmare.

People read my blog then promptly subscribe to me and unsubscribe to dooce because, while I am not a Wii-distributing pioneer, I am far more interesting and relevant to their lives.

Why do I feel like Kevin has read Avitable’s blog?

And there you have it. Kevin of Always Home and Uncool. Because this is Tuesday, and in honor of Kevin, I’m closing with a tune I’m sure you all will enjoy. In my case, it brings back memories of KNAC.com and one of the chat roomies named Kyuss who used to monitor bang to this song. Also, I think this was recorded when Ron Welty was with the band. My readers may recall me saying that I met him at my company’s Christmas party last year. Here it is… the Offspring!

Pretty Fly For a White Guy

Now, go check out Kevin’s blog and have a happy ale drinking, Offspring monitor banging Tuesday!

Tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Fry Daddy!

Ms Picket – Oh, I fully realized he wasn’t “uncool”. I’m not a mommy blogger (cept for what I posted on my daughter’s blog the other day) and I F stuff up ALL the time! LOL

3. Uncool, he is not.
    But honestly, he lurves the mom bloggers ’cause we fark things up as much as he does.
    Thanks for this.

4. Uncool, he is not.
    Thanks for this.

First Time Father – Thanks for coming by to read the interview. I did get lucky in the draw. Kevin is a very amusing read!

Winters last blog post..Is Annoyed a Color?

Winters last blog post..Is Annoyed a Color?

7. I found my way to this interview from the Always Home blog, and am glad I did. I will say that Kevin is the standard the rest of us daddy bloggers aspire to…

8. I found my way to this interview from the Always Home blog, and am glad I did. I will say that Kevin is the standard the rest of us daddy bloggers aspire to…

Dan – Not everyone’s wheels are spun by the same people. For instance, Chris Evans… yeah, he’s hot, but he doesn’t rev my engine like Marcus Schenkenberg does. Scarlett Johansson, she’s hot… but I think Kelly Monaco is much more drool worthy. And Kevin was smart to mention the eyebrows in the Princess Diaries. They were hysterical!

11. LiteralDan says:

I have to somehow increase my respect for this man for thinking outside the box (pun intended) by homing in on the eyebrows. Gotta keep ’em guessing.

Still, there’s something about Anne Hathaway that’s not quite right. Maybe she’s my long-lost twin or something, but I just don’t feel it.

LiteralDans last blog post..Upsize yourself! Nobody likes a quitter

12. LiteralDan says:

LiteralDans last blog post..Upsize yourself! Nobody likes a quitter

Brittany – And here I thought everyone would be turned on by my writing skills and become new readers. Alas, all I’ve done is increase the ranks of Kevin’s fan club! 😉

Winters last blog post..Fry Daddy!

Winters last blog post..Fry Daddy!

15. Brittany says:

Great interview! You have totally turned me on…him…you know, his blog…but seriosuly, Anne Hathaway’s boobs were super hot in that Disney movie.

I lost my train of thought.

Brittanys last blog post..Kindred Spirits

16. Brittany says:

I lost my train of thought.

Brittanys last blog post..Kindred Spirits

17. Pingback: Citizen of the Month » The Blogger Interviews (The Great Interview Experiment)

18. Pingback: Citizen of the Month » The Blogger Interviews (The Great Interview Experiment)

Emily – I shall do that! Thanks for coming by to read the interview.

Nicholas – I love it when you’re ecstatic!

Kevin – Beer nuts… well, really all nuts, are welcome here! If you clicked on Rottn’s Beer Fridge you’ll see that I live with a man who knows his beer. I don’t drink it, but I’ve come to realize that men who know their craft beers are awesome people!

Winters last blog post..Fry Daddy!

Emily – I shall do that! Thanks for coming by to read the interview.

Nicholas – I love it when you’re ecstatic!

Winters last blog post..Fry Daddy!

21. Winter: I figure if people are going to waste their time with me, I should at least bring the beer nuts. Thanks for putting up with them and me.

Annisa – Moderation, darlin’, moderation/

Nicholas – Glad I could help.

always home and uncools last blog post..Double Your Pleasure

22. Winter: I figure if people are going to waste their time with me, I should at least bring the beer nuts. Thanks for putting up with them and me.

Annisa – Moderation, darlin’, moderation/

Nicholas – Glad I could help.

always home and uncools last blog post..Double Your Pleasure

23. Nicholas says:

Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The O O T”??? OMG, that totally naff song has such very happy memories for me! I only have to hear it and I’m transported back to an ecstatic time!

Nicholass last blog post..Saturday 9

24. Nicholas says:

Nicholass last blog post..Saturday 9

25. Emily says:

Glad to see an interview with Kevin. He’s got a great blog. Very funny. Go check out his archives. He’s got some great ones.

26. Emily says:

Mary – I am not a tease! I deliver! Somewhere on this blog is that photo of Anne, I swear!

Vodkamom – Thanks! I loved my interview too!

The HMC – You never know when TMI will come in handy. 😉

Brenda – The funny was all Kevin. I was just trying not to ask the same thing as everyone else.

Mary Lou – Thanks for coming by to read the interview!

FADKOG – Glad you could stop by! Kevin does seem to have a mad following. I’m wondering what all I missed in the archives I didn’t read. Hmmmn.

Kevin – I can see that you like your special time with your readers. That is an admirable trait in a blogger! 😉

Anissa – Glad I could add to your day’s dose of Kevin!

Vodkamom – Thanks! I loved my interview too!

The HMC – You never know when TMI will come in handy. 😉

Mary Lou – Thanks for coming by to read the interview!

Anissa – Glad I could add to your day’s dose of Kevin!

29. Can I tell you how much I love being able to get me some KEVIN in 3 places today? I may just go back to bed before my high wears off.

Anissa@Hope4Peytons last blog post..Acknowledging fears

30. Can I tell you how much I love being able to get me some KEVIN in 3 places today? I may just go back to bed before my high wears off.

Anissa@Hope4Peytons last blog post..Acknowledging fears

31. FADKOG – Actually, I’m thinking that “Steve’s Got a Silly Hat” will be our special song.

32. FADKOG – Actually, I’m thinking that “Steve’s Got a Silly Hat” will be our special song.

33. That Kevin so handily brings the lovin’ with the aid of a “Steve from Blue’s Clues” tune makes me even more mad for him, a feat which I had thought impossible!

differentkindofgirl(FADKOG)s last blog post..’til now, i never got by on my own

34. That Kevin so handily brings the lovin’ with the aid of a “Steve from Blue’s Clues” tune makes me even more mad for him, a feat which I had thought impossible!

differentkindofgirl(FADKOG)s last blog post..’til now, i never got by on my own

35. MaryO – Analogy o’ the week!

Brenda – My friend Justin, who loves bass player Mary Huff, turned me on to SCOTS. When we meet the band at one of their show’s, Mary left a very suggestive message on his answering machine for us.

Mary Lou – Glad you enjoy it. Bring friends next time you visit.

always home and uncools last blog post..Double Your Pleasure

36. MaryO – Analogy o’ the week!

Mary Lou – Glad you enjoy it. Bring friends next time you visit.

always home and uncools last blog post..Double Your Pleasure

37. Mary Lou says:

Kevin: Loved the reference to your former employer (made me giggle). Your blogs continue to make me laugh! Keep ’em coming. mlh

38. Mary Lou says:

39. Brenda says:

Funny interview. Southern Culture on the skids fan? Love it!

Brendas last blog post..It finally happened…

40. Brenda says:

Funny interview. Southern Culture on the skids fan? Love it!

Brendas last blog post..It finally happened…

41. TheHMC says:

Good interview, though I’m wondering if I needed to know a few of those things.

Garsh..I may be blushing.

TheHMCs last blog post.."What do you want to do?" "I don’t know. What do you want to do?"

42. TheHMC says:

Good interview, though I’m wondering if I needed to know a few of those things.

Garsh..I may be blushing.

43. vodkamom says:

very fab. Great Q’s!

vodkamoms last blog post..I Pod Confession

44. vodkamom says:

very fab. Great Q’s!

vodkamoms last blog post..I Pod Confession

45. MaryO says:

There ya go Kevin, you have been teased with naughty photos like the rest of us. She mentions than doesnt show until you say something. I dub thee Master Tease. Even though I am not into woman that was a great one.
    Nice interview and it makes me wonder about your blog now. Guess I will go read it and have something else that sucks me in. Man I get sucked into more great blogs than a Hoover sucks you Kix ceral after breakfast.

46. MaryO says:

Kevin – You and my Rott would get along great in the beer department. Rott buys a case of Celebration every year. And I’ve got a pic of Anne showing off that amazing boobage in a see through top. Oh yeah. Very nice photo it is. Thanks for being a great interviewee!

Winters last blog post..Fry Daddy!

Winters last blog post..Fry Daddy!

49. Thanks for the interview, Winter! To clarify two points:

1. I dig Celebration Ale at holiday time! Every year I buy a six and save one bottle in the back of the fridge to enjoy the next Christmas (it’s like 8% alcohol … it mellows with age rather than spoils).

2. For the record, Anne’s top floor friends are also amazing in “Ella Enchanted.”

Cheers!

always home and uncools last blog post..The Aftermath (but Before Science)

50. Thanks for the interview, Winter! To clarify two points:

Cheers!

always home and uncools last blog post..The Aftermath (but Before Science)