New = Painful

New computers hurt. They are really painful. I can’t find anything. I have to look for all my CDs. I need to reinstall everything. My desktop is naked. Ok, it’s not really. It WAS. I found a Sixx AM wallpaper in Motley’s stuff though and slapped it on the desktop. No more XP green hills. Whew!

I basically replaced my motherboard and my hard drive. I also got another gig of memory. The old hard drive is still good, but I’ve gotta move all the files, wipe XP off of it and when it’s time for Motley’s new machine, reinstall XP.

I ran a little test and tried booting to that drive from the upgraded machine. No dice. It locks up at the login window. So perhaps my old motherboard is ok after all. Maybe it’s all Windows related. (In my head, I can hear Dave yelling that Macs rule.) At any rate, I’m back online.

For all of Tuesday I was thinking I was going to have to call my friend Liz’s husband Jim. Jim is a pretty awesome guy. He would help me. My worst case scenario was handing it off to my tech Joe. That would have cost me money. Ugh.

At any rate, I went back over everything. Carefully. And I got everything to work this time. The new puter is fast and has more space.  Now I have some really good pieces for Motley’s new machine too. Soon I’ll get the rest of what I need and build her a new computer. She’ll be really happy.

Whew. I’m tired. Thanks for all of the good wishes and comments while I was down. I appreciate it!

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to New = Painful

1. Justin Scott says:

Now… if you had a Mac, you’d just plug in your TimeMachine and blip bam boom you are back in business in no time. 🙂 teehee

Justin Scotts last blog post..iPhone 3G this Saturday

2. Justin Scott says:

Justin Scotts last blog post..iPhone 3G this Saturday

3. maryo says:

Nice to have you back. Now it is time to get to work on the plotting. PM me a time to meet and we can do it. Lets rub our hand together and do something evil. Plus I need a victim…I meant a volunteer for naked dragon flying. I swear I menat volunteer 🙂

4. maryo says:

Susan – That would be great when I’m ready to build Motley a new machine. Doesn’t work so well when I have an urgent need as I did this week. I appreciate the offer tho! I love a good savings!

Marty – I’m not down on Macs like some folks. I like my PC desktop tho. If I ever buy another laptop I doubt I’d get anything but a Mac altho the Acer we have at the office is very slick indeed.

Blu – It took me Sunday afternoon, Monday night and last night to get up and running. It took me a Sat and Sun back in Sept when I built this puppy. So about 2 days, pacing myself and not overdoing it. This was supposed to be an upgrade to fix a fried motherboard, but it turned into a rebuild.

Winters last blog post..New = Painful

Winters last blog post..New = Painful

7. Amy-Blu says:

The husband has been fiddling with ours for the last 2 days and is making me very nervous for its future.

Amy-Blus last blog post..time for a change

8. Amy-Blu says:

Amy-Blus last blog post..time for a change

You will also hear me yelling MACS RULE! as well. I may deal with PCs and Windows during the day for my day job, but all of my personal stuff is all Mac.

martymankinss last blog post..Scooter Sunday #12

martymankinss last blog post..Scooter Sunday #12

11. I missed you and am glad you’re back.

For future reference, the Tour Manager knows of ways to get really high quality computer parts at really good prices. Next time you’re in need, give a yell.

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Susan’s Book Talk: How Many Makes a Trend?

12. I missed you and am glad you’re back.

BPR – 2.5 days seems like such a long time without the net! Thanks for the bandaid!

Jason – If I could have just walked into the store and bought a Mac laptops (whatever they’re called) I would have. The next laptop I have will probably be a Mac. But I love my desktop PC. Being poor, I like that I can fix it myself. I usually have lots of patience, but I was freaking out because I just spent part of my rent money to fix this thing. Once I calmed down and checked some stuff on the net at the office… I knew what I needed to do to make it work. If it hadn’t worked at that point, I would have been looking for help. Luckily, patience and attention to detail paid off.

Dave – Not totally in my world yet. When I can afford to go mobile again I will join you in that cry!

Avitable – UGH. Mobo changes suck ass. I have a better board now, but Asus’ documentation isn’t as detailed as Elite’s so I ran into issues.

Winters last blog post..New = Painful

Winters last blog post..New = Painful

15. Avitable says:

I’ve got to swap out memory or a video card in the near future, and I’m just hoping that’s all it is, and not the mobo. I would hate to have to start all over with this computer.

Avitables last blog post..Myocardial Infraction

16. Avitable says:

Avitables last blog post..Myocardial Infraction

17. Dave2 says:

MACS RULE!!

🙂

Dave2s last blog post..Rocket

18. Dave2 says:

MACS RULE!!

🙂

Dave2s last blog post..Rocket

19. Jason X says:

I hate computers that don’t work. I have no patience for them. Nor applications that don’t work. Which is why they put me in charge of an international film distribution system rolled out to 15 countries. I make sure that shit is pristine. My own computer? Something goes wrong, I throw it out. I only have the patience if I’m paid to have the patience….

Jason Xs last blog post..Washing Hands at the Office

20. Jason X says:

Jason Xs last blog post..Washing Hands at the Office

21. bluepaintred says:

All change is painful to an extent, I’m going to pass you this band aid, and then we will both sit here and just be happy you are back!

bluepaintreds last blog post..Dead by CUTE