You know that 100 Things thing that everyone seems to have on their blog? I suppose I’ll do it too even though it’s not very original of me. I mean, I guess there could be someone out there curious enough to read that much stuff about me. I’ve already done some posts about odd things about me. I’ve used them to start a 100 Things page. I’ll add it to the 100 Things today by doing a Thursday Thirteen. Today’s theme is, thirteen things about me and work.
1. When I was in college I worked in an auto repair shop. Three of the customers were famous. One was the valley guy in the movie Valley Girl. Two of the other three were from the band Tool before they did Lalapalooza: Maynard James Keenan and Adam Jones.
2. My first job was making change in my dad’s barber shop.
3. After college, I worked at the Starlight Children’s Foundation. One of the things I did was help coordinate celebrity wishes.
4. I ran a coffee shop for my mom on the south end of Mercer Island, WA when I was just out of high school.
5. When we returned to CA, I tried to go to community college as an art history major. The coolest thing about that major was that it got me a job in the college art gallery, opening the skylight and counting the people who came in.
6. After I got tired of counting people in the art gallery, I tried being a hostess in a prime rib place. Meh. So not my thing. I only suffered a couple of months.
7. The Steinbeck Public Library wanted to hire me because I knew the Dewey Decimal System forward and backward, but they only had part-time positions available that later on would become full-time. I couldn’t afford to have a part-time job so I had to turn them down.
8. I ended up working for the high school district. I was 19 when they first hired me and I looked younger. People kept mistaking me for a student in my jeans and hightops and leather jacket. In fact, I got hit on by an 8th grader who was 16. He was cute, but c’mon. A 16 year old 8th grader? What a loser!
9. When I lived in Victorville, I got hired at a nursing home to do bookkeeping. I lasted only two days because their idea of bookkeeping was that I had to help dispense meds and serve breakfast. F that! I was hired to crunch numbers not help old men put their socks on! I mean, I felt bad for them and helped them, but it was definitely not what I was hired to do so I protested and quit.
10. I stuffed envelopes for the Southern California Gardener Newsletter when it was first starting out. I always remember how beautiful their artwork was.
11. After the fiasco of the nursing home, I got a job as a fast food manager. It sucked. I had a late night shift after training, and had to drive home from Barstow to Victorville at 1:30 am every day. Have you ever seen how barren it is between Barstow and Victorville? I mean it must have been more barren back in the late 80’s. It was a scary drive.
12. I have a tax preparer’s license and I’ve done taxes on my own, as well as helped out at an Enrolled Agent’s office during tax season.
13. I’ve been at the cemetery 9 years this month. Time sure flies. This is the longest I’ve ever been at a job. I love my network there. I love the structure of it, how the VPN is set up. It’s been a trial since Friday when my firewall died, but luckily all is well now. Have I mentioned how much I love my Citrix server? Well, I do. Love it to bits! I get to do all kinds of techie stuff like update events on the website, add pages to the websites, create a shopping cart for the flower shop, create a funeral blog and an intranet, on top of the other techie stuff. I don’t mind. It’s kinda fun when I know what I’m doing. If they ask me to do something I don’t know, I can usually get my outside tech to handle it.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
There you have it, 13 items related to my work history that I can add to my hundred things. Don’t forget to check out Motley sometime today. She’ll be posting some HNT pics with Dave’s tiara. They turned out so nice I think Dave might enjoy them enough to forget that his tiara’s on tour. HEH. Have a great Thursday!