Reminders

I don’t like to have someone’s loss remind me how lucky I am. Yet, every day, where I work, someone is dealing with a loss. There are places in the park I don’t like to drive past, even if Motley is in the car with me. I never meant to have a career in an industry like this.

I started out my real career (if I don’t count where I was working during college or the stuff I did before that) at the Starlight Children’s Foundation. The first referral I took was for a boy of 18 who had been turned down by Make A Wish. He was too old. He didn’t fit their criteria. The boy, who lived in Oregon, was terminal. He wanted a big screen TV. He died before it arrived… and I cried myself to sleep for a week.

When you don’t really know someone, you don’t know what to say to them when they have suffered a loss. However, where I work, we’re always supposed to know what to say. We’re supposed to be compassionate, and do whatever we can to help the family through one of life’s most difficult times. But really, when it boils right down to it, what we say to them is – in the words of ShinyBitch – just putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Even though I don’t know Dawg like the rest of you do, my heart goes out to him today. For the Puppy Monster, whose beautiful marker is a testament to the power and the love in the Blogosphere, I will hug Motley today and be grateful that I have her.

Yes, it’s time to tell you who won the hat in the Blog Reader Appreciation Week drawing. Everyone who wrote a comment had their name written on a sticky note. The slip of paper was rolled up and dropped into a purse (a Dooney and Bourke, of course). Once all the rolled up sticky notes were in the purse, Motley (after she got home from seeing the Love Guru) drew one out.

The winner of a stunningly beautiful Socially Dead or rakishly eyecatching Sunlight Sucks hat is….

Congratulations, Marty! Please email me at winter at winterheart dot com and tell me which hat you want. Include your mailing address as well or Motley might keep the hat. Heh heh.

Look for the Spa Edition of Sunday Silence tomorrow. Well, if I get photos taken of my hair, my nails, my toes… hee hee. Have a great weekend!

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Reminders

Wow. I leave for the weekend, and I win a prize.

Once I play catchup on all of the blog posts I need to read for the last few days, I will email you and let you know which hat I will pick… tough choice.

Wow. I leave for the weekend, and I win a prize.

Shiny – It’s a story I’ll never forget that’s for sure.

Shiny – It’s a story I’ll never forget that’s for sure.

5. Shiny Bitch says:

Oh man…your story of the kid from Oregon was heartbreaking. I can’t imagine how many other people suffer like him daily, wanting and wishing just for one little thing that’ll bring them happiness before they leave this world. *reaches for Kleenex* That was a touching story, Wint. Sad, but touching.

6. Shiny Bitch says:

Mary – I’m glad I don’t work with the public, although on occasion I have to help them at the customer service window, and I often field calls about their accounts. Still, it’s always awkward trying to tell people that you’re so sorry that they lost someone.

Susan – Your name was in there quite a few times. If you click on the first pic of the drawing process you’ll see that’s your name on the heart shaped sticky note! Motley was very good at choosing. She stuck her hand in the purse without looking, fished around for awhile, and finally pulled out a sticky. It’s always nice when someone who is a regular visitor and frequent commenter wins. It makes the other readers feel that they have a real chance next time around.

9. Congrats to Marty! I’m a little bit jealous, even though I’ve got a ton of hats that the Tour Manager buys me that I never wear.

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Giving You… Bobbie Faye!

10. Congrats to Marty! I’m a little bit jealous, even though I’ve got a ton of hats that the Tour Manager buys me that I never wear.

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Giving You… Bobbie Faye!

11. maryo says:

Congrats to Marty!! I am sure he will wear it with pride.

Shiny hit the nail on that one. Band-aid over a bullet wound. Perfect example of how it feels. How you can figure out the words to say everyday is beyond me. Honestly how many times does someone want to hear “sorry for your loss” or the ever popular “they are in a better place now.”

12. maryo says:

Congrats to Marty!! I am sure he will wear it with pride.