TT the 17th – Vampires

This Thursday Thirteen is about the Bar vampires. Thirteen facts about them. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you know these bits of info. These bloodsuckers are nothing like Dracula or Nosferatu!

1. The Bar vampires are not the undead. In the Otherworld, they’re basically another species. They eat and drink and can be injured. They procreate. They have sex… a lot. That doesn’t sound too dead to me.

2. The vampire deity is the Mother of All Vampires. She has a cauldron full of golden orbs that represent her children. She works very hard to match them all up with the right bloodmate. Her daughter is Damaris Fontaine, the Blood Mistress. Damaris runs Les Lignées aka the Library. The Library contains the annals of the vampires. Everything that happens to every vampire of every race including made vampires, is cataloged in the Library. The Blood Mistress has a sister Maerne, who is the Queen of the Atersilex Vampires. Because their mother is the Mother of All Vampires, the sisters have some unusual powers, including powers over other vampires.

3. Aeturnan is the ancient language of the vampires. Letalis is the vampire term for humans.

4. The Bonding process is what vampires go through to become joined to their bloodmate. A bloodmate or bonded bloodmate is the term for a vampire’s eternal mate. Cherished One is an endearment, which is also used as the proper name for a bloodmate. For Otherworld vampires, their Cherished One’s blood is sacred. Once they are bonded to their bloodmate they can only drink that person’s blood or they will die.

5. Our vampires go through several steps in order to bond with their bloodmate. These steps are called the Bonding Path. The path consists of several points which must be completed by the couple. The path does not have to be done in order however, all points along the path should be complete by the time the exchange of blood occurs. Once the path has been completed, the male vampire receives his soul and his thoughts and emotions become one with his bloodmate’s. They have to work very hard to hide things from each other once they’ve been bonded. The bonding path points are: The Finding, which is an initial recognition of the bloodmate, often in some psychic manner such as sharing thoughts, recognizing their particular scent, or sharing a dreams. The First Bite, which is one of them biting the other, but is not necessarily a reciprocal bite. It is an act that signifies the trust between the bloodmates, an exposure of vulnerability. The Second Bite is a bite that occurs during the sex act and doesn’t have to be reciprocal. If the first bite took place during a sex act, then the other partner (if also a vamp) must be the biter this time. The Sacrifice is a selfless act for the benefit of the Cherished One. The Blood Exchange is the final part of bonding. It must be a mutual exchange of blood during the sex act, whether both are vampires or not.

6. Female vampires are called Mortiferians. They do not need to feed as often as males do. They do have souls, but on occasion something happens to make them soulless. For example, Alexandria’s bonded bloodmate is killed by the Nazis. Normally, if a vampire is bonded and their bloodmate dies, they die as well, but in Lex’s case, the vampire deity saved her life by taking back her soul until she mates again.

7. Male vampires are called Acerbians. Male vampires who were born without a soul are Desperians. If their parents were bonded at the time of conception they are born with a soul. Otherwise… no soul.

8. Otherworld vampires can go out in the sun with protection especially if they are very old. By protection I mean a hat, a coat… covering their skin. If they get in the sun they get burnt and can get sun poisoning, a condition that can kill if not attended to. They don’t go up in flames or turn to a pile of ash. They also do not need to sleep the entire day away. The older they are, the earlier they can rise.

9. Vampires who are “made” are called Infuscans. A made/turned vampire will have all the attributes of a born vampire. However, they cannot make/turn vampires themselves, they may or may not have a bloodmate, and they would be unaware of what they can and cannot do. A born vampire must explain it all to them.

10. Pravus are rogue vampires, more commonly called Hellbounds. They are evil and without conscience. They become Hellbounds by virtue of a blood disease something like AIDS, which is hereditary. It is passed from father to son. Hellbounds are never female unless they have drunk the blood of a Hellbound male.  The Hellbound blood disease causes madness and a desire to kill and hurt others. They stick together, sort of in a pack, and hide from other vampires otherwise they would be hunted and destroyed. The disease manifests itself within the first 100 years of life unless the male’s mother was some creature other than a vampire, in that case the disease can stay within the vampire male until something triggers it. Then the degeneration begins, a downward spiral into insanity and a lust for blood, violence, and evil.

11. Vampires in the Otherworld are immortal, but can be injured or killed. You can stake vampires or grievously wound them so that they bleed out and die. If you blow their head off they will die. Otherwise, something more minor will just cause them to have to spend a few days healing.

12. Otherworld vampires have more physical strength than humans and other Otherworld creatures except for those with special powers. They have exceedingly strong minds and can use glamour to wipe a human’s mind or control them. Glamours do not work well on other vamps unless the one putting the glamour on is very old and powerful. It can work on some Otherworld creatures depending upon how strong that creature is and what powers they have. For instance, a glamour might work on a werewolf or a pixie, but not on pixie royalty.

13. Our vampires cannot dematerialize as they do in some stories, they are not affected by religious icons or holy water (except for the Hellbounds who burn if hit with holy water), their fangs only elongate and appear during times of stress or great emotion, in sexual situations, or in a situation of fear or violence. They do not go around biting humans indiscriminately, and they don’t go around killing humans to feed. They can easily drain a human and kill them, but they don’t unless it is some kind of fight for survival. When they bite, they lick the wounds to seal them and they usually begin to heal immediately, fading before your eyes. An exception to this occurs when the bitten one is a pregnant female vamp. Pregnant vampires heal more slowly from everything. Our vamps do drink bagged blood from the blood bank if they don’t have someone to feed from.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

Hope you enjoyed this look at our bloodsuckers! May all your bites be yummy ones today!

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to TT the 17th – Vampires

1. Ann Bruce says:

Nice take. We need some fresh blood in the paranormal genre.

Ann Bruces last blog post..TT #18: Writerly Not-to-do’s

2. Ann Bruce says:

Nice take. We need some fresh blood in the paranormal genre.

Ann Bruces last blog post..TT #18: Writerly Not-to-do’s

Ivette – Oooh. I loves me some Kerrelyn Sparks!

Claudia – Thanks! The characters make it easy. They live in your head and clamor to get out… so all I can do is create a vehicle for them.

Ivette – Oooh. I loves me some Kerrelyn Sparks!

5. These posts are so fun. I admire your willingness to take on a genre and make it your own – well done!

Happy TT

6. These posts are so fun. I admire your willingness to take on a genre and make it your own – well done!

Happy TT

Tempest – You should come read the Bar sometime! Lots of yummy vamps!

Gal – The Finding can be different for every couple but there are a few ways that it happens that occur more often than other ways. And we’ve had a few couples not make it. When the Mother sees that a relationship that she has approved (by making them bloodmates) isn’t working out she can choose other mates for them. If you’re curious enough for some detail or examples, sign up for the Bar Forum and drop your questions into a thread. You’ll get lots of answers from the writers!

Winters last blog post..TT the 17th – Vampires

Tempest – You should come read the Bar sometime! Lots of yummy vamps!

Winters last blog post..TT the 17th – Vampires

9. I didn’t know there was more than one kind of vampire! Now I’m curious about “The Finding.” Is it really all intuitive? And do couples ever NOT complete their trip down The Bonding Path, saying, “You know, this just wasn’t a good idea?”

The Gal Herselfs last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #70 — About legs

10. I didn’t know there was more than one kind of vampire! Now I’m curious about “The Finding.” Is it really all intuitive? And do couples ever NOT complete their trip down The Bonding Path, saying, “You know, this just wasn’t a good idea?”

The Gal Herselfs last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #70 — About legs

11. Love this TT about my favorite night critters… vamps! *wg*

12. Love this TT about my favorite night critters… vamps! *wg*

13. Ivette says:

Happy Thursday 13! Love the list. Hope to see you at my 4th edition about Kerrelyn Sparks at Talk About My Favorite Authors blog.

14. Ivette says:

Adelle & Puss – They actually don’t do a lot of bloodsucking. It’s really more of a soap/romance. There’s more romance and sex than vampirism.

Darla – We had to have a way to explain why they do things the way they do.

Mary – Yeah, the dragons are bit easier. Certainly, more physical too.

Susan – It’s just mangled Latin. LMAO. And I didn’t do it on my own. The other writers all contributed.

Darla – We had to have a way to explain why they do things the way they do.

Mary – Yeah, the dragons are bit easier. Certainly, more physical too.

17. pussreboots says:

Vampires aren’t really my thing either. Happy TT.

pussrebootss last blog post..A Superior Death

18. pussreboots says:

Vampires aren’t really my thing either. Happy TT.

pussrebootss last blog post..A Superior Death

19. I like that you’ve created this whole society that’s different from the others. And to tackle a language?

Woman, my admiration for you grows.

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #Awarded Dreaming

20. I like that you’ve created this whole society that’s different from the others. And to tackle a language?

Woman, my admiration for you grows.

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #Awarded Dreaming

21. MaryO says:

To many things to remember for me write aobut vamps. That why I like me and my dragons. Yeah we got thing to remember to but honestly not that many.

22. MaryO says:

23. Darla says:

You’ve created an interesting mythology here. Very detailed.

Darlas last blog post..TT #102

24. Darla says:

You’ve created an interesting mythology here. Very detailed.

Darlas last blog post..TT #102

25. Kewl list. I never knew most of it lol Vampires have never been my thing. I have to say though, some of my author friends have some pretty hot covers for their vamp books. I might have to check one out. Happy T13!

Adelle Laudans last blog post..

26. Kewl list. I never knew most of it lol Vampires have never been my thing. I have to say though, some of my author friends have some pretty hot covers for their vamp books. I might have to check one out. Happy T13!

Adelle Laudans last blog post..