Feed Me!

Yanno, I took Karl’s words to heart and I went back to my feed reader. Not just because Karl is the voice of sensibility on this issue, but because I’m really not up to clicking 60 freaking links all the time. Anyway, I’m finding that going back to the reader is annoying me. Well, really several things are annoying me. First of all, Feed Demon sucks at updating. I see a bunch of twats on Twitter with updates and I eagerly open Feed Demon. Nothing. I click on the manual refresh. Nothing. Two hours later, I see Karl’s newest post appear on Feed Demon… long after I’ve gone straight to Secondhand Tryptophan outside the reader. I check Newsgator too, which is synced with Feed Demon. Same thing. Lagging SOBs.

The other thing that gets me with using a feed reader isn’t really about the feed reader. It’s about the sites. Karl went into that stuff about feeds and RSS and feedburners. My annoyances are more specific. The big one is comments. Dave2 and Avitable do comments perfectly. Although, Avitable’s “Subscribe to the comments of this muthafucka” isn’t how everyone should offer this service, it IS the right thing to do. Dave2 has a link on his left sidebar for a comments feed. What’s so special about Dave and Adam, you ask (other than the obvious)? Their links are not comments for a specific post. It’s comments for ALL posts. ME LIKEY. This is so freaking easy a blog baby like me can do it!

Really the last thing that annoys me are all the authors out there who want you to READ them, but don’t supply you with a feed link. This is bad marketing. Some of us read A LOT OF BLOGS. A feed reader is a must when you get over a certain number. Everyone should offer a feed link. But most especially, authors should! I can’t believe how many author blogs and sites I’ve seen in the past 5 months who do not have feed or comment links. I WANT TO READ WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY! HELP ME HERE! I also wanna shoot off emails to all of them, telling them I’ll fix it for them! I would read many more author blogs, and read more frequently, if they all had links to their feeds and comments. It’s so sad that they are missing out on this awesome marketing tool. So those of you without those links, please think about putting them on your blog. I promise to read you more often if you do.

Alright, my little rant is done but the Feed Me part isn’t over with yet. You see, I listened to the New Improved Jester Show on Talk Shoe last night. I wasn’t crazy about the fancy pro app with the chat bubbles. Too busy for me. I went back to the web client and was quite happy. So happy, in fact, that I had the weirdest, most vivid dream about the show and the chat people and a couple of my friends. Here’s how it went:

Jester’s show turned into this big party in a huge mansion. Karl was giving out Secondhand Tryptophan buttons and explaining WJP. Jester was laughing a lot and UMB was making margys and threatening to run naked through the house. Everyone was telling him that wasn’t a threat at all. They wanted to see that! My friend Jen was there handing out chocolate pudding cups. Every time he got one, Dave would go back to the end of the line. (No surprise there!) He must have been worried though because he said he hoped he wasn’t allergic to chocolate pudding. He wasn’t sure he could stab himself with the epi pen…

My friend Greg, who is sorta seeing my friend Jen, showed up at the party then. He said margys were pussy drinks, to which Hilly told him, “Sweet sweet pussy…” In the kitchen, someone had set out a big pan of enchiladas which Greg liked. He told Jen to drink the margys and he’d eat the enchiladas. Dave told Greg, “No pudding for you!” and he took all the pudding cups from Jen. Greg ignored him and asked about the naked gay guy running around. That’s when I noticed UMB had decided he didn’t like his clothes anymore. Jen then told Greg that at least it wasn’t Darrie (who is 6’10”) from Zanctuary running around naked.

Howard was wondering if someone had a camera on UMB. Hellohahanarf was trying to explain to Othurme that she really did have TWO breasts. He didn’t seem to believe her because he kept asking for proof. Jester was so busy with a photo from TSMOregon that he missed UMB’s flashing. He was also praising Talk Shoe and trying to convert Karl and Hilly over to the “light side”. Someone said Mr. Drunkulous was on the phone. Someone was yelling about twats. Someone else was complaining about static and a hush fell over the room when a booming godlike voice said, “Macs are for sissies.” I thought Dave and Jester were going to have an apoplexy, but then Hilly said she found the tiara and I woke up.

I think I’ve been listening to too many Blog Talk Radio shows while talking to Jen in YIM. Have a freaky frakin Friday… TWKS!

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Feed Me!

1. Karl says:

I read so many feeds that I don’t notice a lag in FeedDemon. I admit, though, that Bloglines and Google Reader seem to pick up on new feeds much faster.

Karls last blog post..100 Things About Karl, Part Eight

2. Karl says:

Karls last blog post..100 Things About Karl, Part Eight

3. Howard says:

HAHA! That show must have completely gotten to you. And I can work a camera, too.

Howards last blog post..Roundup – Week of May 23

4. Howard says:

Howards last blog post..Roundup – Week of May 23

5. Mr. Fabulous says:

Mr.Drunkulous? Is this what it’s come to? LOL

Mr. Fabulouss last blog post..The most important radio show I have ever done…

6. Mr. Fabulous says:

Mr.Drunkulous? Is this what it’s come to? LOL

Mr. Fabulouss last blog post..The most important radio show I have ever done…

Shiny – I don’t dream very often and usually when I do they are very soft and vague. Once a month maybe, I have a very vivid strange as fuck dream… or a nightmare. Lately, no nightmares, thank the good baby jeebus.

Winters last blog post..Feed Me!

Winters last blog post..Feed Me!

Susan – People who don’t know about feeds need to read Karl’s blog. He explained it all very well.

Mary – You’re on Blogger. It has an Atom feed at the bottom. I think it just does it automatically for you.

Jennifer – I can’t find your RSS link.

Marty – I may just go to a web based reader. I’m just not happy with anything I’ve tried.

Hilly – When I tried it the first time around, I didn’t have it synced to Newsgator and it lagged worse. Maybe it’s just me. I have crappy luck sometimes with 3rd party client sorta stuff. Maybe I just need bloglines or google reader. And yeah, you’re all in my head, but at least I don’t feel alone anymore.

Winters last blog post..Feed Me!

Jennifer – I can’t find your RSS link.

Winters last blog post..Feed Me!

11. Shiny Gal says:

That dream of yours WAS vivid! I was laughing my ass off reading it! I’m glad you blog about your dreams…they’re hilarious!

12. Shiny Gal says:

13. Hilly says:

Regarding FeedDemon, it’s the fact that you have it synced to NewsGator that makes it lag. Unlike Karl, I hate hate hate syncing with News Gator and refuse to do it. I get my feeds the instant they are published, even before Twitter gets them! If you only run FeedDemon on one main PC, you don’t need to sync. Don’t tell Karl that I am adamantly opposed on this issue, k? Haha.

As for the rest of the dream stuff…wow, seriously. You are spending so much time around us that we’re seeping into your sweet sweet head.

Hillys last blog post..Comment Contest Winners!

14. Hilly says:

Hillys last blog post..Comment Contest Winners!

I use two feed readers now… Google Reader and Safari. It can be confusing sometimes and be double the work of going through the blogs, but so far, it’s working for me.

I really need to get back to joining in on these radio shows. Sounds like Talk Shoe is a lot better experience than BTR has been lately.

martymankinss last blog post..Ice Cream, Diet Coke and Smirnoff Ice

martymankinss last blog post..Ice Cream, Diet Coke and Smirnoff Ice

17. I’m with bluepainted. I have NO idea if I have a feed for comments. I know I have an RSS feed….
    If you want to fix mine, go for it. LOL.

“Pussy drinks” LMAO!!!!

18. I’m with bluepainted. I have NO idea if I have a feed for comments. I know I have an RSS feed….
    If you want to fix mine, go for it. LOL.

“Pussy drinks” LMAO!!!!

19. maryo says:

OK wow. That blog was out there cause I almost understood some of it. I have ben hanging around you to much cause I almost understood the tencho talk.
    Am I ok with the feed stuff?

20. maryo says:

Am I ok with the feed stuff?

21. Yes, I’ve had the same problem with feeds. I totally agree (and will mention it to a few author friends and see if we can spread the word around — minus the “call winter for help” ’cause you might be flooded).

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Giving you… some excerpts

22. Yes, I’ve had the same problem with feeds. I totally agree (and will mention it to a few author friends and see if we can spread the word around — minus the “call winter for help” ’cause you might be flooded).

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Giving you… some excerpts

BPR – Your feeds are completely perfect! You belong in the Blogography category for feeds. The Avitable category is for those who point out the location of the feeds using curse words.

Winters last blog post..Feed Me!

Winters last blog post..Feed Me!

25. bluepaintred says:

I dunno if I have any of the feed related links you mentioned. Things related to the feed part of blogging really confuses me, SO :

“I also wanna shoot off emails to all of them, telling them I’ll fix it for them!”

Go for it! bluepaintred@gmail.com

bluepaintreds last blog post..oops!

26. bluepaintred says:

Go for it! bluepaintred@gmail.com

bluepaintreds last blog post..oops!

Jester – It’s an honor for me to make you laugh yourself silly!

UMB – I just said what happened in my weird old head! It was the dream that was soo funny. It was like the chatroom only in a party scene.

Jester – It’s an honor for me to make you laugh yourself silly!

29. UMB says:

LMAO That is TOOOO FUNNY!!! Reading this, i totally could picture it all as if i were having the same dream! I guess that’s proof that you are a very talented writer! =)

30. UMB says:

31. jester says:

Maybe I’ll have a better comment when I stop laughing myself silly.

jesters last blog post..The Jester Show on TalkShoe

32. jester says:

Maybe I’ll have a better comment when I stop laughing myself silly.

jesters last blog post..The Jester Show on TalkShoe