TT the 13th

This Thursday Thirteen is about cemeteries again. This time it’s 13 random things about cemeteries, graves, related websites and tours, famous deaths, etc. Just a collection of odd bits that you might find fascinating or gruesome. My personal favorite: #1. I could spend hours touring that cemetery using the virtual tour!

1. Pere Lachaise Cemetery – This is one of the most famous cemeteries in Paris. Lots of famous people buried there including Jim Morrison. The thing I like about it, is that it has this virtual tour on it’s website… it’s just like walking through it but not as tiring. Awesome!

2. Batesville Casket Company is one of the largest casket companies in the world. It’s headquartered in Batesville, IN.

3. Here’s a video on how caskets are made:

4. Tyler Cassity of Hollywood Forever Cemetery is a pretty hot looking guy. His cemetery is really cool too. Lots of famous people buried there.

5. Ave Maria is a popular choice of music for funeral services. It’s typically sung in Latin by choirs. Here’s a version of the classical song done in English by the rock band Soundgarden.

6. Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia is the probably the most famous cemetery in the U.S. I’ve been there and it was a visit that was a stand out among the many places I’ve seen in this country. The Eternal Flame on JFK’s grave is strangely moving. Even more moving is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The sentinels are awe inspiring. If you’ve never heard the story of these sentinels, click this link and check it out. Also, the cemetery’s website has a page on the training the sentinels go through. It’s a really fascinating read.

7. The most famous of the English are buried, not in a cemetery, but at a church. The monarchs of England are buried at Westminster Abbey.

8. Looking for a famous grave? Check out Find A Grave. There’s a ton of info here. I can’t tell you if it is completely accurate though.

9. When you’re done looking for graves, head on over to Find A Death and check out all the “deliciously sordid” stories of the deaths of famous people.

10. Speaking of Find A Death , they have some pretty interesting (or gruesome depending upon your take on this stuff) “memorabilia”. Here’s a link to Diana, Princess of Wales’ death certificate. Doesn’t mean a whole lot unless you read French.

11. Here’s another site that has info on celebrity grave sites This guy calls himself the Grave Hunter.

12. Going back to Hollywood Forever Cemetery, here’s a link to their virtual tour of their celebrity graves.

13. With Memorial Day drawing near, I thought I’d end with this video and a poem that I love that is quite fitting with the vid.

In Flanders Fields

by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD

(1872-1918) Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

Happy TT!

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to TT the 13th

1. Jason X says:

Awesome creepy cool stuff!

Jason Xs last blog post..Black Olives

2. Jason X says:

Awesome creepy cool stuff!

Jason Xs last blog post..Black Olives

3. Laura says:

Couldn’t get to your blog last night. Glad to see it back tonight. 🙂

Lauras last blog post..Scribbles by Madeline Diamond

4. Laura says:

Couldn’t get to your blog last night. Glad to see it back tonight. 🙂

Lauras last blog post..Scribbles by Madeline Diamond

5. That last video was beautiful. And I love that poem.

6. That last video was beautiful. And I love that poem.

Nicole – Some of those sites are really fun. Lots of info most people don’t know.

Shaunesay – Pere Lachaise is full of famous people. It’s a really old cemetery.

Thanks for coming by everyone!

Winters last blog post..Thursday Thirteen the Thirteenth

Shaunesay – Pere Lachaise is full of famous people. It’s a really old cemetery.

Thanks for coming by everyone!

Winters last blog post..Thursday Thirteen the Thirteenth

9. Shaunesay says:

as much as I don’t like thinking about death, I have to admit that cemetaries are very interesting. I’m even better if they’re very old and not possibly people I knew!

Shaunesays last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #6 – Tornadoes

10. Shaunesay says:

Shaunesays last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #6 – Tornadoes

11. Wow, cool list. I had fun surfing the find a grave site.

Happy TT!

12. Wow, cool list. I had fun surfing the find a grave site.

Happy TT!

Susan – That’s the best way to learn about stuff. Have a character who needs to know! LOL

Motley – Shaddap! Oh, and TAKE THE TRASH OUT!

Winters last blog post..Thursday Thirteen the Thirteenth

Motley – Shaddap! Oh, and TAKE THE TRASH OUT!

Winters last blog post..Thursday Thirteen the Thirteenth

15. Motley says:

You and your cemeteries. *eyeroll*

Motleys last blog post..Whoa, nekkid!

16. Motley says:

You and your cemeteries. *eyeroll*

Motleys last blog post..Whoa, nekkid!

17. Aargh. To have more time in the day to explore all this. I’ll have to create a character who will let me do that. Definitely.

Susan Helene Gottfrieds last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #something — I Don’t Wanna

18. Aargh. To have more time in the day to explore all this. I’ll have to create a character who will let me do that. Definitely.

Puss – Thank you for the compliment! I try to be different and not boring with these.

Nicholas – I’d like to see Jim’s grave if only because I’ve seen Pam’s countless times. Chopin is one I’ve looked at on the website many times. I love that cemetery. I would want to visit Paris just to go there.

Grace – Seeing JFK’s in person is indescribable. When I was there, he had only been dead about 4 or 5 years. It’s an indelible memory for me even though I was only 7 at the time.

Gattina – Jim was supposed to be removed a few years back because the lot was only leased for X number of years. The family must have purchased it when the lease was up. I’ve seen Pam’s niche many many times. The fans leave pics of them on there often.

Anthony – I’d love to see it one day. I’ve seen different videos and TV shows on it and all the people buried there. I’ll bet you get a very HUGE sense of history being there in person!

Darla – Thanks for coming by!

Adelle – The last video was very moving for an amateur effort.

Sandy – I’m glad you liked it!

Kay – That’s one I’d like to see. The man was so much bigger than life.

Mary – I loved Arlington, but the Vietnam wall wasn’t built yet when I was in DC. I hope to see it one day. It gives me the shivers when I see it on TV.

Fab – Some people have this sense of family that makes them want to do that. People have done that where I work too. Others are afraid to pay off their plots or have their markers with their name on it set. They feel that once it’s there, they could die at any time! Your cremains could still be buried in the lot. Lots of people bury urns. If not, at least there is cenotaph (a marker for someone who isn’t buried there) that your family can use to put flowers. It’s helpful for those family members who need someplace to visit. Your mom sounds old school. Nothing wrong with that. It helps her to deal with the issue of mortality is all.

Winters last blog post..Thursday Thirteen the Thirteenth

Darla – Thanks for coming by!

Adelle – The last video was very moving for an amateur effort.

Sandy – I’m glad you liked it!

Kay – That’s one I’d like to see. The man was so much bigger than life.

Winters last blog post..Thursday Thirteen the Thirteenth

21. Celticangel says:

I have a favorite cemetery – http://www.fairoakscemetery.com/ . It’s a lovely restful little place. Of course, if I died tomorrow, I’d end up interred in the family wall at a much larger cemetery. I don’t think I could rest easily there, you know?

Happy TT!

Celticangels last blog post..13 Cult Books That Have Been Filmed

22. Celticangel says:

Happy TT!

Celticangels last blog post..13 Cult Books That Have Been Filmed

23. feefifoto says:

Thanks for one of the most, umm, unusual posts, shall we say, I’ve ever read.

feefifotos last blog post..Fame Contest, Summer 2008: Haven’t We Seen Enough Of Tom Cruise And Katie Holmes?

24. feefifoto says:

Thanks for one of the most, umm, unusual posts, shall we say, I’ve ever read.

25. Mr. Fabulous says:

I have a grave. A long time ago my mother bought 4 plots for the family. The headstones are already up with our names. And this, despite the fact that I am going to be cremated.

I never understood why she did that.

Mr. Fabulouss last blog post..God is wise

26. Mr. Fabulous says:

I never understood why she did that.

Mr. Fabulouss last blog post..God is wise

27. MaryO says:

I to have been to Arlington. I was only in the 8th grade but felt the importance of the place. Also went to the Vietnam memorial. That was the quietest place I have ever been. It seems even the birds knew that place was special.

28. MaryO says:

29. kay says:

Enjoyed your list. I have visited several of the cemetaries you mentioned, and I visited Winston Churchill’s grave in the tiny churchyard at Bladon. Happy TT.

kays last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #8

30. kay says:

kays last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #8

31. Sandy M says:

Very interesting 13… enjoyed it!

Sandy Ms last blog post..Would your Man grow a moustache for charity?

32. Sandy M says:

Very interesting 13… enjoyed it!

Sandy Ms last blog post..Would your Man grow a moustache for charity?

33. Very interesting stuff. Loved the vdeo. Happy T13!

Adelle Laudans last blog post..

34. Very interesting stuff. Loved the vdeo. Happy T13!

Adelle Laudans last blog post..

35. Darla says:

Oh, very interesting!

Darlas last blog post..TT #98

36. Darla says:

Oh, very interesting!

Darlas last blog post..TT #98

37. AnthonyNorth says:

That’s a great list. I’ve been in Westminster Abbey quite a few times. There’s a lot of people buried in there.

AnthonyNorths last blog post..TT #10 – HOW TO BE GROSS

38. AnthonyNorth says:

AnthonyNorths last blog post..TT #10 – HOW TO BE GROSS

39. Gattina says:

After this sightseeing of cimetaries, you wish us a happy TT,thanks, lol ! I remember Jim Morrisons grave in the 90th it was not yet protected and there were a lot of drugged youngsters gathered around smoking hash and on the grave there were used syringes and messages written on the stone, it was really terrible. Today it has been cleaned and there are two guardians to protect the grave and you are not allowed anymore to go nearby.

Gattinas last blog post..

40. Gattina says:

Gattinas last blog post..

41. grace says:

Interesting list. I would love to visit JFK’s grave one day.

graces last blog post..What’s on your salad bowl?

42. grace says:

Interesting list. I would love to visit JFK’s grave one day.

graces last blog post..What’s on your salad bowl?

43. Nicholas says:

That Find A Grave site is rather addictive. I’ve just spent an hour there. I visited Pere Lachaise a few years ago. I didn’t bother with Morrison but I did see the graves of Maria Callas, Oscar Wilde, Chopin and Bizet.

44. Nicholas says:

45. pussreboots says:

Always an interesting list from you. Happy TT.

pussrebootss last blog post..Mercury and Venus

46. pussreboots says:

Always an interesting list from you. Happy TT.

pussrebootss last blog post..Mercury and Venus