Nothing

I have nothing for you today. You see, my daughter’s new blog has left me envious. I like the way it looks. I like the way it works. It’s not ME, but I like it. I’ve been wracking my brains for weeks on how to take my bats to WordPress. Not that I’ve defeated the WP demons. I haven’t. I’ve just garnered a little help from Fab and Jester. And I’m anal and tenacious.

If I had money, I would just hire someone to make me a new city skyline with bats and a full moon. Instead, I tried to find a WordPress theme I could tweak. It’s not 100% me/mine like a custom design would be, but I figure if I can get the bulk done, maybe I could afford to pay someone to make the small stuff work for me.

So I found a couple of possible themes. I found one in blue and white with yellow that does go okay with my header. I was leaning toward this one because so many bloggers hate the white text on the black background. Tweaking my graphic to make it work with this theme was a mother though. So I moved on to the black background theme. This one was much easier to work with. Looks like I’m stuck with the black background, white text though. (Sorry folks!) I guess the only thing I can say is that it’s a damned vampire theme! Sunlight ain’t their thing.

It all looks good. I’ve been testing it on my other domain rottnroll.com. I couldn’t get the subdomain thing to work at all on rottnroll. Not sure what I did wrong and too tired to figure it out for a site that’s not staying there. It’s a 3 column theme. In the widgets, I can’t figure out how to tweak the sidebars. Only one sidebar shows up on the widget page and in the drop down menu. *sigh* One more thing I don’t know how to do.

I guess if I can make the theme work, and get all the pages set, I can turn off the forwarding on my subdomain and try to take this live on winterheart.com. Which got me thinking. Maybe I should just make this blog the domain name with a page that goes to the actual site stuff (Winter’s Coffeehouse). It doesn’t exactly sit well with me though. I’ve had Winter’s Coffeehouse a very long time. A dozen years. Look at it. It’s pretty. Nice and clean. Great template. I never finished converting over the poetry pages though. I’m a bum like that. I get tired and move on. I should really just do a page a week and eventually the whole thing will be done.

So, here’s what’s in my head: Finish tweaking the WP theme. Figure out the sidebar from hell. Decide whether to go with winterheart.com or winterblog.winterheart.com or whether to buy sunlightsucks.com. (I hate telling people to change their link for me in their blog rolls.) Or should I skip eating for a few weeks and just hire someone to do this for me, because I’m freaking exhausted and have no answers and forgot about my TT? Tell me what you think I should do, because I’m all out of answers.

It sucks to be an IT person. Everyone expects you to be able to do this shit. This is not my application server. This is CODE. CSS. PHP. I’m logical for the most part, so I can figure out some of it, but my personal cheering section is gone. He always tells me, “You can do it. You like logic puzzles.” I keep expecting him to show up at my shoulder, but when I turn around, there’s no one there and the room is silent. I guess this is why I have nothing for you today. WP kicked my ass. I’m such a wuss.

Whine over. Have a great Thursday. Hopefully, I’ll have a TT or a Half Nekkid Thursday or something next week.

PS: Here is a screenshot. As you can see, I’ve done okay so far. My problem is the far right sidebar which does not show up in the drop down menu for widgets in WP. And the meta for that sidebar has no login. I’m clueless how to make that sidebar show up in widgets so I can add or remove things from it. I hate whining and crying like a girl. And stupid WP has brought me to that pass. I guess I’m gonna have to email or IM Jester for some professional assistance…

0 Responses to Nothing

I think I missed this tagline contest. Details please and I’ll brainstorm and offer some suggestions.

As for the WP theme, I’ve been doing some minor tweaks to existing themes over on Banal Leakage
    and ChillyWilly. The hardest part is the PHP, but with the help of a friend that knows PHP, I’ve been able to do some minor tweaks.

I do all of the raw page edits (done outside WP) I do under Dreamweaver CS3. I’m no wizard at HTML/XHTML, but i know enough to be dangerous.

I would trust Jester to help, as it sounds like he’s got a lot more WP theme editing experience. But if you need another set of eyes, let me know.

As for the IT stereotype, I get it all the time, too. “He knows computers… he must know it all” And no matter how many times I try to explain to people that I don’t know it all, they still think I’m some sort of fucking magician that can pull a miracle out of my ass.

As for the the domain, if you can use the current one, that would be better for everyone, including search engine and traffic to your site. Going to a new domain will change more than just people’s links to your blog.

3. Jester says:

I promise to gouge you only a little bit. ;D

4. Jester says:

I promise to gouge you only a little bit. ;D

5. motley says:

Yeah, I like my blog too. <3

6. motley says:

Yeah, I like my blog too. <3

Chelle – I will probably try to figure out the stupid 2nd sidebar. Everything else is looking good. If I can’t I’ll have to suck it up and ask Jester how much. Not that I have much. I’m always broke. But he’s a sweetheart so I do not mind paying someone like him.

Mary – I know you get the part about me being frustrated. That’s all that matters. MUAH!

Matt – I’m glad it’s endearing to someone. At least then my tears of self pity haven’t been for naught.

I’m not done yet, folks. I’m gonna try again tonight. So far, it looks great, but the damned 2nd sidebar has me stumped. Maybe I’ll post a screenshot later.

As for taglines… I’m stumped. I had lots of good ones. I loved the Absurdists. But I was really looking for something that references “bite” or “fangs”. David came up with “Fangs for the Memories” which rocks. But it’s the title of a Kathy Love book so I can’t use it. More offerings are encouraged…

9. Matt-Man says:

Ha. Somehow I find your, “WP kicked my ass” quality kind of endearing. Cheers and Good Luck Winter!!

10. Matt-Man says:

11. MaryO says:

Ummm… you know you lost me through all the tech talk. I sort of understood some of it so that is how I know I hang out with you.
    You can do it girl but I totally understand reaching out for a helping hand. I do and look at me… I am not that big of a technotard as I used to be.

12. MaryO says:

13. The Absurdist says:

Okay. I recommend going ahead and getting Jester to do it for you. He undercharges, and I paid him a lot more than he quoted for me. So maybe he will give you a better discount than what he gave me to compensate for the “more” that I paid him.

It’s a lot less grief. I have tried to modify themes myself and it’s such a bitch!

You can pay Jester via paypal too, and if you are comfortable, you can put it on a credit card through paypal.

So who won the tagline contest? me me me? Sunlight is overrated!

14. The Absurdist says:

So who won the tagline contest? me me me? Sunlight is overrated!