How I Almost Got Karled

Visitors to my blog are usually most welcome. However, as those of you who read my Monday rant know, I don’t always deal well with PAQs. Well, while I was ranting about PAQs from a website that shall remain nameless, someone from my own workplace was going through these very archives. Not to find out more about me, but to find things that could be shown to the management of the company I work for. This wasn’t something someone found by accident. So no longer can I come here and vent or rant to get things off my chest. Some things have become off limits for fear that my child and I will not be able to afford the roof over our heads.

My six word memoir meant nothing to his person. This person doesn’t care if I have a heart. Or feelings. Or a child to support. This person ignored every GOOD thing I had to say about my work. And I’ve mentioned a number of GOOD things because I really do like where I work.

I would feel violated if it wasn’t so predictable in this world we live in. People don’t think about the fact that Britney Spears can sing really well. All they want to focus on is the fact that she’s having a mental breakdown. How the hell is that any of our business anyway? But this media rich diet we live on dictates that the meat is always sweeter the closer to the bone… so cut deeper to get the dirt and fuck it if it hurts anyone!

Shiny told me a story not long ago about going to a restaurant to have dinner with her DH. She was unwinding from a rough day, telling him about how her supervisor had been treating her in an unprofessional manner. Lo and behold, who walks in? That very supervisor. The world being what it is, had that supervisor overheard her personal conversation with her husband, Shiny could have been fired. The supervisor was already treating her in an unprofessional manner and creating a climate of fear in the office. I don’t know if Shiny was afraid for her job, but many people in her shoes would have been. So even words to your husband can be used against you in this world we live in. Cause guess what? There really is no such thing as freedom of speech. We pay for every freaking thing we say or do.

I didn’t get Karled. It wasn’t even brought up. It was left to the HR Manager to speak to me. She had some sage words for me, which I’m not going to repeat. There are going to be a number of things I won’t repeat anymore. At least not out here. I’ve been toying with the idea of creating a private blog so I can vent as much as I want without fear of repercussion. If you noticed this morning, there were 71 posts on this blog. Not any more. I saved the deleted ones, including my last TT. If I do create a private blog, I’ll drop my deleted posts there… as a shrine to Karl.

If any of you missed Karl’s story, here is the link: I’m Not Going to Say I Got Dooced, But I Did

I guess I’m not as cynical as I thought I was. I was shocked that Karl was karled. I was shocked that Dave got hate mail over a cartoon. I felt a twinge of hurt when the guys in the sim took one girl’s “joke” about my name on a bathroom wall and turned it into a big funny haha thing…when it sure seemed to me that she was calling me a slut without calling me one… Maybe I’m too tenderhearted to be a cynic. But you know what hurts the worst of any of the shit that’s come down recently? That someone who really does care about people, is never seen in that light. Maybe THAT is the real reason that this is my memoir.
Next time, read ALL of the words. Not just the ones you think are disgusting. Because when you read one post without reading all 70… and you insist on judging me by that post… you’ve just told the world exactly what you are, without me having to say – or write – a word.

0 Responses to How I Almost Got Karled

1. Kate Douglas says:

Thanks for sharing the link. I have only one thing to say: BRAVO!

2. Kate Douglas says:

Thanks for sharing the link. I have only one thing to say: BRAVO!

3. Jason X says:

Awwwww! That’s nice of you to say. I really appreciate your participation, too. And your blog is great–just wish you weren’t forced into censoring it.

4. Jason X says:

HR in my office is cool. Thank God. She’s very no nonsense, take no bullshit. She usually has great advice. She watches her back like a hawk too. I go to lunch with her all the time.

I might go anonymous, if I remove the original rants. Since the person who was hunting me printed it, I suppose they could find it again if they searched on the terms I used.

Meanwhile, there could be an email in your future Jason… Thanks for coming by! Your blog is one of my very favorites!

7. Jason X says:

Don’t do a private blog, just do an annonymous blog. Email your friends the link; but you should keep it public. That way you can rant and the world can still hear about how stupid managment and HR are (rr). Oops, they might be reading this now…

8. Jason X says:

Wow. Just crazy. I guess there are more people out there that are more interested in taking people down than helping them (or leaving them alone).

Sad to hear this, but hope you can find another avenue to vent. Venting is important, even if you have to change who and where you vent to.

If you wanna get it off your chest Jen… lemme know. I’ve got a little something up my sleeve.

13. Jennifer McKenzie says:

*shakes head* There seems to be an atmosphere out there that censorship is okay.
    I’m not surprised.
    In the tiny pool of epublishing, say something and a ripple tears through the little pond like a friggin’ tidal wave.
    Soooooo though I have the freedom to rant about my husband, the hardware idiot and even politics, I can’t rant or rave about my publishing experiences. It’s just not safe.
    And isn’t that sad.

14. Jennifer McKenzie says:

I’m not surprised.
    And isn’t that sad.

15. Avitable says:

My geek quotient has been fulfilled, sorry! 🙂

16. Avitable says:

My geek quotient has been fulfilled, sorry! 🙂

Bah! It’s the plug ins that I’m having trouble with! Perfect. LOL

I don’t suppose you have any openings for geeky people who know application servers and bank recs? 😉

Bah! It’s the plug ins that I’m having trouble with! Perfect. LOL

19. Avitable says:

There is a lot of documentation, but many of the plugins, including the private post one, are just plug and play.

The only time I’d ever take negative action against an employee would be if they clearly hated their job. General bitching and ranting is to be expected.

20. Avitable says:

I have a WordPress blog. I’m a little lost in WordPress I must admit. There’s too much documentation and not enough hours in the day for me. I can code a little but I’m no programmer. I gotta figure out how to get up to speed. I would take this blog there if I could figure it out and still manage to have my bats. (Not giving up the bats!)

As for my rants, there were 2 about how I was being treated unfairly by co workers. There was one about how people come to work sick and give everyone else the bug. I don’t hate my job, far from it. I think what my company does on a daily basis is awesome. I also think it’s unfortunate that a couple of mean spirited people, who are probably the one(s) who “ratted me out”, can make one’s job difficult. There are a few people with a very superior attitude there. Not even the president acts like that or the board members! Our pres and board are the nicest people ever! It’s just tough when 1 or 2 people take it upon themselves to pick on me when I bust my ass for the company. So sometimes I get frustrated and I need to vent. Now, I can’t vent here anymore. These people have invaded my private life and my private thoughts and feelings with a very callous disregard to the what the outcome could be for me and my daughter. I don’t think I’m gonna be forgetting about what they did any time too soon.

23. Avitable says:

Move over to WordPress, and you’ll be able to set private posts that only registered users will be able to see.

It’s very unfortunate when an employer takes things out of context and makes a rash decision, based on what someone was saying on their blog.

That being said, though, if I had an employee who was blogging and bad-mouthing me or the business on a regular basis (which I know that you were not doing), even if they didn’t mention the name of the company, I’d fire them on the spot. If they hated their job so badly, I’d find someone who would appreciate it.

24. Avitable says:

25. Susan Helene Gottfried says:

Hey! Where’d my comment go?

26. Susan Helene Gottfried says:

Hey! Where’d my comment go?

27. Mr. Fabulous says:

His words, eh? Karl’s nutsack keeps echoing in MY head.

28. Mr. Fabulous says:

His words, eh? Karl’s nutsack keeps echoing in MY head.

29. The Absurdist says:

It sucks. In public, you now have to use things like, “it who shall not be named” and stuff. It’s ridiculous. And bosses who can’t handle criticism; well, that’s just a part of being a boss. God the world is so sensitive now.

30. The Absurdist says:

31. MaryO says:

8 CommentsClose this window Jump to comment form
    rxvenomqueen said…
    It’s sad to say that there truly isn’t such a thing as Freedom of Speech. Sure, you can say as much as you want to, but not without consequences to follow afterwards. In your case, you weren’t Karled (Love the name, Karl), still, it’s a damned shame this happened.
    I know writing is one of your methods on how to get things off your chest, so the private blog would be perfect for you. That way there’s no more worry of having a set of ‘unwelcomed eyes’ reading your blog.

April 14, 2008 9:45 PM

Winter said…
    Shiny, I will let everyone who is on my blogroll in… and then some. Most of those people know what it means to have someplace you can go to unwind and whine a little.

April 14, 2008 9:48 PM

Karl said…
    Unfreakingbelievable. People are morons and assholes. Well, some of them, anyway.

You don’t want to get Karled, for sure. Next thing you know you’d be getting naked on your blog.

April 14, 2008 10:38 PM

Winter said…
    Karl – No way do I have the panache that you do! Nekkid is reserved for the worthy masses, which means I better put up that private blog and start passing out the password! 😉

April 14, 2008 10:45 PM

Mr. Fabulous said…
    In July it will be two years since I was fired from my job as a corporate director because of my blog. And it was the same situation: people looking for things trying to hang me.

Fuck ’em. They’ve gone wayyy downhill since I’ve been gone 🙂

April 15, 2008 1:29 AM

Matt-Man said…
    Why can’t people mind their own damn business. People Suck. Cheers Winter!!

April 15, 2008 6:23 AM

Winter said…
    Fab – I don’t see why it’s anyone’s business if you don’t name names. Anything I said wasn’t any worse than what I hear people saying in the lunch room or when they are gossiping in the back hallway. In fact, it’s not even CLOSE to being as bad as what I hear people say AT THE OFFICE! They name names when they are gossiping, AND they often say things that aren’t true or are rumors. At least my rants were the truth and I never said a single person’s name or the company’s. Karl’s words just keep echoing in my head – unfreakingbelievable.

Matt – It’s true. It seems obvious that it was done deliberately because I never said the company’s name so it wouldn’t have come up in a search.

Thanks for the support everyone! MUAH!

April 15, 2008 6:42 AM

MaryO said…
    Been there, done that. I say one thing about someone in a joking way cause I thought she knew me and I get to give a class in perception.
    Those that know me, know I like to joke around. If I mean something you will hear it from my own mouth right to your face. Needless to say I have watched what I say ever since than. That was back in 98.
    Winter you know you are loved by the people that understand you the best. If that someone wants to be a dumbass and look for crap to get you with my question is WHY ARENT YOU WORKING DUMBASS!!!! GET A LIFE AND GET TO WORK!!!!
    By the way, the doc said I aint even close to popping. WTF!!! I think I just make the womb way to comfortable for my kids. COME OUT OF MY BELLY!!! (said in Fat Bastard voice)

32. MaryO says:

8 CommentsClose this window Jump to comment form
    rxvenomqueen said…

April 14, 2008 9:45 PM

Winter said…

April 14, 2008 9:48 PM

Karl said…

April 14, 2008 10:38 PM

Winter said…

April 14, 2008 10:45 PM

Mr. Fabulous said…

Fuck ’em. They’ve gone wayyy downhill since I’ve been gone 🙂

April 15, 2008 1:29 AM

Matt-Man said…
    Why can’t people mind their own damn business. People Suck. Cheers Winter!!

April 15, 2008 6:23 AM

Winter said…

Thanks for the support everyone! MUAH!

April 15, 2008 6:42 AM

MaryO said…

Thanks for the support everyone! MUAH!

Thanks for the support everyone! MUAH!

35. Matt-Man says:

Why can’t people mind their own damn business. People Suck. Cheers Winter!!

36. Matt-Man says:

Why can’t people mind their own damn business. People Suck. Cheers Winter!!

37. Mr. Fabulous says: