Thursday Thirteen #9, Not to be Confused with Client #9

This week it’s all about the music. Not 13 songs from my iPod. Don’t own one. Not my 13 favorite songs. Can’t choose. No, these are 13 songs that made a key post even better! They are all posts from the Bar, of course, but the music really has helped shape the stories of certain characters. These are different genres of songs, for different characters, and chosen by different writers. Also, it’s not just a list, it’s 13 linked tunes, just for you! Enjoy! (I had embedded tunes, but the players were locking up browsers when Imeem turned to shit late Wed night.)

Thirteen Songs That Made the Bar Story Better!

1. Never Saw Blue Like That by Shawn Colvin – The post is titled “The Bonding Continues”. It was the third part of the bonding story, after Alaric and Lex are bonded. They’re lying in bed in a penthouse suite in New York City shocked at how different their world is now that they have their souls. This listen to this song and marvel at how the words mirror what they feel. Jen, who writes Alaric, chose this song.

2. Real Life Fairytale by Plumb – Matt and Emmy’s engagement at Matt’s home, DuMordain Palace, behind the veil. The Pixie Prince leaves his love a fairytale dress to wear and tiny lights that are the pixies lead her out to a beautiful garden, where she plucks at the petals of a rose. Her golden man appears, telling her, “He loves you, he loves you, he loves you.” The song was chosen by Jen, who writes Emmy.

3. Until the End by Breaking Benjamin – The post is titled “Sterling and Mace in the Killing Zone”. It’s about Sterling, the CIA agent, and her mate Mace, who’s a vampire. They just had sex in the cemetery and now they’re killing evil Hellbounds vampires beneath a mausoleum. Both of them know that Sterling will die by the time the firefight is over. I chose this song since I write Sterling.

4.Anything by The Calling – The title of the post is “Whatever it takes… I’ll do anything”. Helios has just discovered that Tarren is his mate, but she’s hurt and doesn’t want anything to do with him. He’s begging her to give him chance, that he’ll do anything to win her love. I chose this song because I write Tarren.

5. Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold – Tait, the Queen of the Fairies, uses all her power to help kill the demon possessed Black Widow, Rachel Sullivan. Then she steps in the middle of a fight between her friend Mace and the man she’s loved her whole life, Robin Goodfellow. She takes a blow from Mace’s fist and a blast of fae power from Rob. Already drained, her life force fades. The purple butterflies begin to weep behind the veil, as they congregate all over the cottage where she lies dying. I chose this song because I write Tait.

6. Fire Woman by The Cult – Rockstar Rune meets a woman dressed in a schoolgirl outfit, her hair whipping around her head, and her high heels leaving scorched footprints in the carpet. Emmy, the fire elemental, and her sister Opal meet up with Rune at a Rob Zombie concert. Rune is hoping to get to know Emmy better, although that doesn’t work out. They end up friends instead. As Rune’s creator, I chose this song.

7. Breathe by Faith Hill – Not long after their first sexual encounter, Alaric and Lex dream about Lex being pregnant. When they awaken, they are faced with problems that seem insurmountable. However, both of them are so enthralled by the dream, what it felt like, and how it made them feel, that it becomes part of a key point in their relationship. Alaric had never thought about having children, but the dream has suddenly made him see what life could offer him if he chose to be with Lex. Since Lex is my alter ego, I chose this song.

8. 3 AM (Piano Acoustic) by Matchbox Twenty – The title of the post is “Full Moon Depression”. Vampire Bram is a musician who’s suffered from heroin addiction and lost all his friends. Now recovered, he’s playing and writing music again and trying to rebuild his life. He’s always had an affinity for the moon, and his friend Weylyn the werewolf teases him that maybe Bram is part were. In this post, Bram is thinking about how depressed and alone he is. He writes this song for a woman he has yet to meet. Since Bram is my character, I chose this song.

9. Drive You Home by Garbage – Thousand year old vampire Dominic Solent has a tryst with his friend Avalon, the Lady of the Isle of Mists. Avalon is a demi-goddess, who is half in love with the tattooed Dominic. She knows he has a mate coming, knows his destiny, but when pain drives Dominic into her arms, she can’t say no to him. Since Dom is my character I chose this song for the post where Dom is on the Isle with Avalon, knowing he has to go back to his world, and his destiny, soon.

10. Alone I Break by Korn – Johann is talking to his best friend Collin about his feelings for Lacey. She’s just left and he’s already missing her. He’s a little torn over caring for her because the last time he had a mate he totally screwed up with her. When she died, he was eaten up with guilt. Shiny chose this because she writes Johann, Collin, and Lacey.

11. Drive To You by Jewel – The post is titled “Your Heart Beats Inside of Me.” Nyx takes Valerian to her castle in Scotland on the eve of some evil doings in the dragon world. The two of them have a discussion about mates and what they mean to each other. Nyx reluctantly admits that maybe she is Valerian’s mate, even though the McClaren isn’t supposed to have a mate. I chose this song because Nyx is my character.

12. Girlfight by Brooke Valentine – Mary chose this song to accompany a fight scene she wrote between my character Tarren, a trained black dragon assassin, and her character Mary, a legendary red dragon warrior and mercenary. The two women are on the same side, but they don’t know that. All Tarren sees is a red dragon. She knows most of them are killers so she doesn’t trust Mary. Mary sees a tall “totem pole” of a black dragon who won’t let her into a dressing room to see her friend Rhiannon. They end up using a very lethal form of combat called Krav Maga against each other. It’s a take no prisoners, win or die form of fighting. Since the men who gather are all too afraid of stepping between the women, the fight is broken up by blue bolts of Rhiannon’s power.

13.Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon by the Backstreet Boys – This song hasn’t actually been used yet. I found it and it made me think of Johann and his troubles getting together with Lacey. I gave the song to Shiny and, for all she’s a total rock/metal head, she loved it! She totally wants to use it when Johann finally realizes that Lacey is the one he wants forever, whether she’s his mate or not. He’s just not willing to give her up. The song will totally make the post.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

I was going to end this TT with a song called Believing, but then I realized it was another song by The Calling. However, the post it goes with, captured my attention. I’d forgotten exactly how key this post really was. It’s a short post, but I fretted over it, wanting it to be just right. I think it was. Here, as a bonus for you, is the post where Tristan Blackthorne, the rightful black sept wyvern, goes home to Wales to fight his half-brother for the sept.

The beat of the helicopter blades rang in my ears even with the headphones on. I saw the green hills of Wales rolling by beneath us as we approached the coast. The most crucial moment of my life approached too. Everything I was, and everything I was meant to be, was on the line. The fate of my family and my people.

I looked over at Talon sitting with his arm around his mate. He was stoic, as usual, but there was a tension in him that I knew well had to do with the fight we were facing. Even calm, sweet Fayne had a tenseness about her that told of her concerns about coming home. Dai had his battle face on. He sat polishing his sword calmly, something that Gregory used to do before battle. Our return to the place of our births was bittersweet and filled with apprehension. We all felt the weight of this day, but I knew I carried the bulk of it. So much of this mission relied upon me.

The silvers were all business. Valerian looked like an avenging god dressed all in black. Helios was calmer than usual, his face serious. Kyara was like a live wire waiting for the action. Her body was filled with coiled energy, and her eyes were bright and sharp.

Derek looked like he was going to a bar. Dressed in black leather, something noxious smelling coming from one of the many pockets in the jacket, an unlit cigar stump between his teeth, he kept checking all his pockets as if he’d forgotten something. He looked like a Hell’s Angel who couldn’t find the key to his bike. I smiled a little to myself. Derek was never what he seemed, and that air of distraction was sure to throw someone off.

My eyes lit on the one person on the team who was frightening even to me. Nyx McClaren was cold as ice. Her face, her body language, every hair on her beautiful head screamed lethal weapon. No one looked more like a hitman than she did. I had no qualms about her taking out everyone who stood between her and Caden DeCameron. No matter how much Valerian touched her heart, she was like a stone statue, her mind somewhere far from her mate.

Jake began the descent to the field just outside the village where we would be staging from. It was roughly five miles from the castle and was the closest civilization to the fortress. Jake had already briefed me on what information he’d gleaned from his quick trip in and out of Blackthorne Castle. Most notable was the fact that Onyx had both Caden and Ashley there. Jake said Onyx had seemed calm, but he felt the tension in the room. It rippled through every black dragon he passed. They all knew their true wyvern was coming home.

Home. I could see in the distance the black outline of the castle where I’d been born, where Rhiannon should have been born, where, Aminan willing, Galen would be born. I thought of my mother and how her death had put all of these events into motion. It was time for me to avenge that death. Time for me to settle all the scores. The real black wyvern was back, and he was about to bring the fate of the sept full circle. I drew a deep breath and held out my hand palm up. Talon slapped his in it, palm down.

“We’re home, Talon.”

He looked at me with enigmatic black eyes. “That we are, my lord. Long may you reign.”

Long may you all reign… Happy TT!

0 Responses to Thursday Thirteen #9, Not to be Confused with Client #9

1. Malcolm says:

Thanks for including links so that we could listen to the songs. Since I hadn’t heard some of these songs, I appreciate the opportunity to discover something new.

Although I enjoyed being introduced to the songs by Plumb, Brooke Valentine, Garbage, and Breaking Benjamin, the Shawn Colvin tune was my favorite.

Also, it was cool to hear “Fire Woman” again after so many years.

2. Malcolm says:

Also, it was cool to hear “Fire Woman” again after so many years.

3. rxvenomqueen says:

I don’t think I need to tell you which song/artist is my favorite on here, but they’re definitely up on my list with Korn!
    I love our songs. To me, while I’m reading and listening to the song the writer chose for that particular post, it’s almost like a movie that plays in my head. I love it! Just makes the story come to life!

4. rxvenomqueen says:

Warden – Funny you say that! I’ve been listening to them all day long! Thanks for stopping by!

7. Nap Warden says:

I knew many of these…love the Cult!

8. Nap Warden says:

I knew many of these…love the Cult!

fullbody – I have this tendency to talk the Bar all the time. It permeates my life. So keep coming around. Eventually, you’ll know all the backstories and you can just go to the Bar and read what’s current!

Mary – You always make laugh. You could say Martha Stewart (heh) and I would laugh! (Sorry folks, inside joke… altho if you read today’s Bar posts you’d be in on it.)

Claudia – All my daughter’s friends think I am the coolest mom ever. Of course, I’m the only mom they know with a double helix piercing. I love BB. I’ve used them a number of times in the Bar Story. I think they have some of the most emotional music out there.

Vix – My whole life has a soundtrack! Really! I cannot shut off the music in my head!

Susan – The characters don’t have just one song. They have entire playlists! Some posts have more than one song to set the mood. Alaric and Alexandria’s playlist currently has 56 songs on it. It’s a diverse list too: Elvis, Michael Buble, Faster Pussycat, Faith Hill, Leslie Feist, Tommy Shaw, Chis Botti, Sting, Daughtry, Cold, Andrea Bocelli, Breaking Benajamin, 3 Doors Down, and more…

Re the shirt… I’ll give it a whirl. Let’s talk design and if I can’t do it, I’ll let you know.

Thanks for coming by everyone!

Thanks for coming by everyone!

11. Susan Helene Gottfried says:

There’s new stuff on XM lately that’s rocking. Just saying…

I like how each character has a song. I don’t think I can fit mine into a song so neatly; little things here and there remind me of this, that, or the other. It’s easier for me that way — constant inspiration.

and were you serious about the shirt? We should talk…

12. Susan Helene Gottfried says:

There’s new stuff on XM lately that’s rocking. Just saying…

and were you serious about the shirt? We should talk…

13. Vixen says:

Whew, looks like the commenting is going to work now…I could not get it to do anything last nite but lock up.

Anyway, what was I saying last nite??? I don’t remember now. It was something about music playing a soundtrack in my head all the time and how I thought it was cool that your writing has a soundtrack too.

Happy TT

14. Vixen says:

Happy TT

15. Open Grove Claudia says:

I love Breaking Benjamin – so you must be a cool chick! High five Winter! 🙂

Happy TT!

16. Open Grove Claudia says:

I love Breaking Benjamin – so you must be a cool chick! High five Winter! 🙂

Happy TT!

17. MaryO says:

That song just fit perfectly my fight. Plus that song just freaking cracks me up. Love it when the guys are on there and he says boobie.
    Yes that sounds like something a kid about 17 would laugh at but damn that just funny. See watch…..Boobie. Made ya laugh didnt it.

18. MaryO says:

19. fullbodytransplant says:

Each week, you take this fictional immersion to a new level.

And I like it. I like it a lot.

20. fullbodytransplant says:

Each week, you take this fictional immersion to a new level.

And I like it. I like it a lot.

I’m kind of a techy geek too. I built my computer and my daughter’s. I also run a network with 3 offsite offices VPN’d to the main office, 50 nodes, 3 servers including a Citrix application server. It’s Imeem. They were fine earlier. I had dinner, came back and their site is dogging, which is fucking with my embedded music. 🙁 Sorry for the trouble, Vix!

23. Vixen says:

I like what you say about every blog has a soundtrack. Everyday is like that for me…I always thought I was strange for that.

PS I have a computer techy super geek for a son, who builds super computers and still your site? It totally locks up my computer and his.

24. Vixen says:

Puss – Songs are always go better coupled with writing. Every post I do has a soundtrack in my head.

Nicholas – Even if you don’t know any of the songs, you can always broaden your horizons by listening! 😉 I’m not a country music fan, yet I still used Faith Hill. I don’t like rap or hip hop, but if Mary uses it in a post, I listen to see if the music makes a difference to my perception of the writing. I highly recommend 3 AM, it’s a very spare, beautiful song.

Lara – I could never just post a list of songs. That’s just not interesting to me. Every song on this list was coupled to a story so why shouldn’t I share it with my readers?

The nice thing about the embedded player is that you can click to listen and if you really don’t like it, can’t get into it, just stop it, and go to the next song. But you never know, maybe you’ll find something new that you like!

Thanks for coming by!

Thanks for coming by!

27. Lara Angelina says:

That was an amazing list — it seems that music and storytelling are so intertwined. I liked the little snippets about your characters too — very interesting!
    Great TT!

28. Lara Angelina says:

Great TT!

29. Nicholas says:

Sorry to say I don’t know any of those, but I enjoyed reading the accompanying narratives.

30. Nicholas says:

31. pussreboots says:

Songs and writing seem to be a popular topic this week. Happy TT.

32. pussreboots says:

Songs and writing seem to be a popular topic this week. Happy TT.