Phishy IRS Email

Since I have to file schedules pertaining to education credits (the kid’s in school and I have to keep myself up to date in the tech field), my taxes could not be e-filed until the 11th of February. (Thank you, Congress you slow ass behemoth!) So I waited an entire month to file. How annoying!

I’d gone to taxbrain.com the first week of January with my paystub from the end of December and started the process. When I got my W2 around the 10th, I went back to taxbrain.com to finish. Everything copied over from the prior year’s return and all I did was plug in new numbers from my W2 and from our education expenses. Pretty easy for a girl with a tax preparer’s license. Heh.

The frustrating part came when I sent the return to be filed. Up pops the little notice that the schedules I’m filing cannot be transmitted until February 11. So I left my returns (the CA one too) in the queue. I figured, e-filing still saves lots of time and the refund money will be electronically deposited, which saves even more time.

I checked back at taxbrain.com a couple of times during the last month. Then yesterday morning, I check the status of my return and it had gone from pending to sent. WOOT! Now, I just had to wait for an email from taxbrain.com telling me whether the IRS accepted or rejected the return. Last year I got rejected. It was the strangest most fucked up thing. I opened the return and deleted my kid, then re-entered her… with the same damned information. I hadn’t fat fingered the first entry. All the numbers were correct on her SS#. Nothing was different. But it was accepted the second time. Grrr.

So this morning, I figured I would have an email stating that my return was eiher accepted or rejected because, usually, you get a confirmation within 24 hours. Instead of an email from taxbrain.com, I found an email purporting to be from the IRS. Okay, I was not born yesterday. You cannot get me to fork over money to help you bring your dead wife here from Nigeria so my funeral home can bury her. I know I haven’t won the UK lottery. And I’m for damn sure that no relative named JAMES ALLEN JAMIESON, ESQ. from Leeds, England, left me money in his will. Pfft. Why the hell would I think an email that says it’s from the Internal Revenue Service with a subject line of Tax Notification, is real?

Being the techie kinda geek that I am, I first made sure the damn thing had no worms or trojans. Then I opened the email. This is what it said:

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
United States Department of the Treasury

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal
activity we have determined that you are eligible
to receive a tax refund of $184.80.

Please submit the tax refund request and allow us
6-9 days in order to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying
after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, use the following personalized link:

Regards,
Internal Revenue Service

Document Reference: (0xCA.0x80.0x1D.0x2).

When I moused over the link…it gave me a different link. Warning, warning! I closed the email and clicked delete. I’d already known it was bogus. I just wanted to see the evidence. I wondered just how clever the sender really was. When I moused over the link and saw the obviously non-IRS website URL, I had proof positive that they weren’t clever. This email wasn’t much different than the ones purporting to be from PayPal or eBay, asking you to click the link and verify your account info or risk account suspension. The same thing happens with those emails. Put your mouse over the link they want you to click and look for the URL. It’s not PayPal or eBay. It’s set up to steal your account info is what it is. Phishy as all hell.

By the time 4 pm rolled around, I figured I was prolly gonna find a rejection slip from the government when I got home. I mean, the info was the same as last year and they rejected me last year. I was slightly surprised then to open my email at 5 pm and find that both returns were accepted, and I could expect the electronic deposit on or about the 22nd of February. Go figure. It all worked out in the end. I did wonder how many people got taken in by the fake IRS email. How pathetic are those people who send out phishing emails? It amazes me that anyone falls for their shit. Okay, when I see how many of my co-workers don’t know how to find toolbars or format documents or print an envelope… maybe I’m not so amazed after all.

Laters peeps!

0 Responses to Phishy IRS Email

1. rxvenomqueen says:

I nearly died laughing when you wrote about some dude leaving you money in his will. I see those in my emails all the time and when I do, I think to myself, ‘Yeah, and monkeys are gonna start flying out of my ass!’

2. rxvenomqueen says:

3. Nicholas says:

I got those “IRS” emails every day for about two weeks, each one with a different amount to be refunded. Since we haven’t filed our taxes this year yet, I thought they were being extra generous!

I suppose someone has to be falling for them though.

4. Nicholas says:

I suppose someone has to be falling for them though.

The funeral home ones are weird. We’ve been getting those a lot at the office lately. The managers always come and look at me and say, “It’s not real, is it?”

The IRS one had a number of clues in the body that gave away it’s fakeness. One, it used fewer commas than ME! The IRS may be many things, but I think their grammar is better than THAT. Two, the closing. The IRS wouldn’t say Regards. They have no regard. Government entities never say regards… or sorry… or thank you. Scam. Total scam.

7. Jennifer McKenzie says:

You have to admit, that’s a pretty good scam.
    I almost fell for the Paypal one (when I was new to the whole internet thing) but I exercise the same caution online that I do on the phone.
    Unless I contacted THEM, I doubted the validity.
    I report them every time I get them. I’ve been getting those stupid lottery ones lately too. Weird.

8. Jennifer McKenzie says:

You have to admit, that’s a pretty good scam.
    Unless I contacted THEM, I doubted the validity.

Mine’s spent too Mary. Gotta get the monster car fixed. But I can imagine a weekend in Vegas with you and a couple of lookalikes from the Bar. Oh yeah. I think I need resuscitation now…

11. MarOtt says:

Even a tenchotard like me knows not to mess with that stuff. I also know how to work all that stuff your folks dont, well at least sometimes.
    I use turbotax and love it. I hsould get mine back about the same time as yours Winter. To bad we couldnt meet for a wild Vegas weekend. Promise I would buy you the sexist stripper that looked like drool boy I could find.
    To bad i am pregant and the money is already gone to bills and buying baby stuff. DAMN!!

12. MarOtt says:

Fab-The people falling for them HAVE to be the people like my co-workers who can’t remember from one day to the next how to do the simplest things on the computer.

Matt-It was an electronic deletion, sad to say. I’ve had many moments when I bemoan the fact that I was horny in Barstow in the late 80’s.

I have a URL for the two of you… a message board filled with horny skanks who fawn upon men who can post with humor. The Zanctuary skanks are like visiting Kyra from the 108 only quadrupled or more.

15. Matt-Man says:

Phishers never sleep. However you said something that amazed me.

You said that you “deleted your kid”. Can you teach me how to do that? I’d love to delete mine for a little bit once in awhile. Cheers!!

16. Matt-Man says:

Phishers never sleep. However you said something that amazed me.

17. Mr. Fabulous says:

Someone must be falling for them, or they wouldn’t keep sending them out.

Some people…

18. Mr. Fabulous says:

Someone must be falling for them, or they wouldn’t keep sending them out.

Some people…